Installed Headlight LED DRLs

Why do people downgrade their headlights to inferior aftermarket solutions?

It's almost like they believe the grass is guaranteed to be greener on the other side.

Has anyone successfully installed LED DRLs? On non-tech package? I have Non-tech package just ordered load-resistors and led lights for DRLs. I know I will likely lose high beam function but is there anything else that could happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have installed Morimoto LED on non-tech. They turn-on on the DRL setting as soon as I move the stick from the P position but they light at full power, no dim, High Beam power. I've had them for a week now but I am seriously thinking about switching back to halogen because there is no improvement in depth. Very bright right in front of the car but that's it. Other than aesthetic, nothing else. Not to mention I'd probably annoy everybody in traffic in front of me.Let me know if you still want to install them and you need assistance.

I am new to this particular thread but have read all the posts here(as well as another CX-5 LED lighting thread), and as a non-tech CX-5 owner I find it hard to believe that there isn't a LED replacement for my halogen DRL/Headlight bulb out there, that would give me sufficient lumens to duplicate what my halogen bulb will put out for distance(in Highbeam). From what I have read I thought that the "SuperBright 68-SMD P13W/9005 LED DRL Kit" from ijmtoy.com, for the Halogen version like mine, might work. But, some here have said that they are dimmer in DRL mode and brighter in Highbeam mode. I emailed the supplier and they informed me that they are the same brightness in both modes. Unfortunately they couldn't provide me with the lumen output of these LEDS which would seem is the main issue of these LEDS in Highbeam mode. As some of you have no doubt read on ijmtoy's link for the CX-5 "halogen" replacement bulb, there is one of the 5 reviewers that said the DRL mode looks and works fine but there is insufficient beam distance when on Highbeams. The other reviewers for some reason didn't make this comment. SO, I am totally stumped as to where to go from here. HELP!!!

Last edited:
Has anyone successfully installed LED DRLs? On non-tech package? I have Non-tech package just ordered load-resistors and led lights for DRLs. I know I will likely lose high beam function but is there anything else that could happen?

I haven't had any luck in finding any positive comments on LED's that work properly as a replacement for the halogen DRL/Highbeam oem bulb on our non-Tech models. My current alternative was to buy a replacement set of the plastic foglight surrounds that contain LED's in them as in post #156 above. Mine look just like these.There are several variations of these out of China where I purchased mine for about US$68 including shipping. They look great and I then took out the fuse(#51) that disabled the halogen DRL's from coming on. The LED's surrounding my fog lights now act as my DRL's and the Highbeams still work fine.

I still would like to replace my existing oem Halogen Highbeam bulb for a whiter color Halogen but I have yet to find any reviews online that recommend a brand/model that: lasts longer than a year and has a longer, whiter beam as the manufacturers promote.

I haven't had any luck in finding any positive comments on LED's that work properly as a replacement for the halogen DRL/Highbeam oem bulb on our non-Tech models.
FWIW, I had replaced the OEM DRL bulb with LEDs and switched them back after 1 week. The LED while presenting a whiter appearance did not achieve the brightness level of the OEM bulb. Kudos to Mazda for updating the DRL to OEM LEDs on the current CX-5.

FWIW, I had replaced the OEM DRL bulb with LEDs and switched them back after 1 week. The LED while presenting a whiter appearance did not achieve the brightness level of the OEM bulb. Kudos to Mazda for updating the DRL to OEM LEDs on the current CX-5.

Yep, it looks like we'll have to wait awhile before manufacturers come up with a LED that is specifically designed to work correctly in (non-Tech) highbeam reflectors. At least I now know exactly what I want and actually works as an upgrade to my halogen lowbeams and fog lights.

Last edited:
Yes, I have installed Morimoto LED on non-tech. They turn-on on the DRL setting as soon as I move the stick from the P position but they light at full power, no dim, High Beam power. I've had them for a week now but I am seriously thinking about switching back to halogen because there is no improvement in depth. Very bright right in front of the car but that's it. Other than aesthetic, nothing else. Not to mention I'd probably annoy everybody in traffic in front of me.Let me know if you still want to install them and you need assistance.

From what I have now read, the issue with LED's for the DRL/highbeam in our CX-5's(at least the non-Tech version) is that the reflector is specifically designed to focus the light beam put out by it's oem halogen into a certain pattern. Pattern for the DRL function doesn't matter. I am also reading that there is no LED out there that can reproduce a similar pattern, as of yet. Yes it is bright and white up close, but at a distance, where you want the higbeam to really perform, it gets all washed out. Now, with all the new and upgraded LED's coming out, I'm sure someone will find a LED that can replicate our oem halogens in light beam pattern. When one of you finds it I really want to buy it!!

Sorry to revive an old thread but i think my questions is relevant to it.

I just purchased an LED DRL from this listing.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tur...089.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6dc64c4d2igo7o

I ordered Type E which does not have a dimming function so I think it will always be on when accessory 12v is on. Is that a problem? Will it annoy other drivers on the road at night? Are there any laws in the US against having DRLs on at night?

If i really wanted to make the DRL turn off when the headlights are on, what's the most straightforward way to do that? Some sort of inverted relay?

Type E??? Ami missing something? There is no Type E on the link you posted....

Back