Check engine light/reading codes

redlined

:
2002 Protege 5
Hey, I'm new here but have an 02 P5 I love and want to keep around for as long as possible. Today when my wife was driving the check engine light came on and won't go off. How do I read any codes the computer may be throwing to help start trying to diagnose the problem. The car runs fine so far btw. Do i need to buy a code reader?

Brett.

+1^^^^ try to get a free scan from any local auto parts store. If you can't find one, you can get a code reader pretty cheap

Thanks guys, as far as I know, in my area it costs about $100 to have your vehicle hooked up to diagnostic computer. I will however take your advice and ask around. Last resort, where would I get a code reader, what is the manufacturer name and about how much $ am I looking at?

Thanks again,

Brett.

You can do what many are doing and get the bluetooth dongle and the App for your Android or iPhone as I have for my Android Phone. I can check and clear the codes and also do real time monitoring. You can also load specific PID's ( Parameter Identification Data ) for specific vehicle's as well.

I use the App Torque.

scaled.php

Bluetooth OBD2 dongle adapter you can get on Ebay or other places. There is a compatibility chart of the best ones to use.

Generic picture of one:

scaled.php

In total I paid about $5 for the App and about $40 for the ODB2 Bluetooth Dongle ( bro actually got it for me ). They may have gone up or down in price, you would have to check. If you have a tablet, you can view it a lot bigger which is a plus. It also includes data logging as well. I love it and always use it to diagnose friends cars as well. Has proven to be a very valuable asset in my toolbox.

(I used the pictures from someone else post elsewhere)

Last edited:
You can do what many are doing and get the bluetooth dongle and the App for your Android or iPhone as I have for my Android Phone. I can check and clear the codes and also do real time monitoring. You can also load specific PID's ( Parameter Identification Data ) for specific vehicle's as well.

I use the App Torque.

scaled.php

Bluetooth OBD2 dongle adapter you can get on Ebay or other places. There is a compatibility chart of the best ones to use.

Generic picture of one:

scaled.php

In total I paid about $5 for the App and about $40 for the ODB2 Bluetooth Dongle ( bro actually got it for me ). They may have gone up or down in price, you would have to check. If you have a tablet, you can view it a lot bigger which is a plus. It also includes data logging as well. I love it and always use it to diagnose friends cars as well. Has proven to be a very valuable asset in my toolbox.

(I used the pictures from someone else post elsewhere)

This too. I bought my handheld scanner before I learned of Torque... now its all I use.

Back