Iphone 5 , ios 6 and the cx-9

Ok, so I have decided to re-open this thread after being convinced that there are multiple persons who are passionate about the topic of Iphone integration.

Let's keep it on track; positive, encouraging, and supportive community discussion is what this forum is all about.
l33yang, please try and be nice.

Amen and Aloha, as we say here in the islands... Thanks helbigtw!

As long as this stays an adult, productive conversation I'm happy to read any complaints or praise of our car's electronics. Our main purpose is to help and inform each other here.

Last edited:
I do apologize for my frustration.

Why should I let these little things kill the joy of having a brand new car right? Don't get me wrong, I love my new car. I just want things to work.

Anyway, I bought it brand new and pairing took a few different codes but ended up working. iOS 6.1 hasn't fixed the issue with track info. Everything works except for the track info not showing. MY wife's android shows track info though. So it's a compatibility issue. The question is, will Mazda release a firmware update for it to be compatible with IOS 6.1? That will be my next question for my service advisor. I will let you guys know.

The question is, will Mazda release a firmware update for it to be compatible with IOS 6.1? That will be my next question for my service advisor. I will let you guys know.

Excellent! And now "on with our show!"...

As l33yang points out, there is rapid growth spurt in the mobile electronics field right now. There's plenty at stake. I've seen it change entire industries, almost overnight.

It's becoming REAL important to the car makers too, but they're still stuck with an "annual" model release schedule. It's tough for them. Right? If they release a Mazda version 13.1, 13.2, 13.3 etc every month, would you not delay your purchase to get a little better model... as with our phones and other electronics?

I hate to say it, but 2012 may turn out to the worst year since the death of the 8-track to buy electronic options for our car. Expensive, outdated, limited, not upgradeable. Ouch. These packaged gizmos cost in the thousands. I could put together one hell of a web-savvy, 3D home entertainment system for that. (headbang)

So the car companies are going to have to radically change their approach. Less buttons, dials and gauges. Large, flexible, configurable touch-screens with voice-driven commands and WIFI/LTE should be the new entertainment/data centers for our cars. To keep pace, they'll also need to be field-upgradable (software/firmware upgrades) and interact smoothly with our changing mobile devices. They probably will dock with them and share apps. Once you can reprogram these thing, they will be cheaper to produce and to update.

Take a look at Tesla's new dash consoles and I think you'll see what I mean.
2013-tesla-model-s-inline-01-photo-468581-s-original.jpg

2013-tesla-model-s-inline-02-photo-468582-s-original.jpg

In the near future, you'll see some companies strapping these things onto inferior cars- and as a sales gimmick that may work. (At least, it will work better than strapping ice-age era boom-boxes on an otherwise great car).

I admit, it seems like the tail-wagging-the-dog...

WAIT - that's way too many metaphors! I'll shut up and listen now.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread... I am going to test drive CX-9, Highlander, Venza, and Pathfinder next week and you've all convinced me that I need to pair my phone to each for the test drive, because this is a really important feature to me. Thanks for your input. I will be sure to watch out for these things.

Legaleagle, watch out with the toyota. When I tried synching, my entire phonebook synched automatically as well, without the option of skipping.

So unless you buy that car, you should go back and delete the pairing, cuz this info will reside in your dealers demo for all to see, for all time. (detect)

Thanks for the tip. If I delete the pairing, can I be confident the phone book has been deleted?

Since you've tried both: did you try the USB connection on both/either? Is it better/worse? Have you experienced any problems with connect/disconnecting USB when the manual says you shouldn't?

So if I did pair the phone for the test drive, and then didn't buy the vehicle, I would need to go through and delete all the contacts separately? That means I am not going to pair the phone. Thanks for the help.

I believe the phonebook is a separate sych/delete on the mazda. So no need to delete the PB if you didn't intentionally add it AFTER pairing the phone.

On the toyota, (venza at least) they both happen at the same time.

On either car, you should be able to nuke the whole list at once.

So if I did pair the phone for the test drive, and then didn't buy the vehicle, I would need to go through and delete all the contacts separately? That means I am not going to pair the phone. Thanks for the help.

Maybe the 2013 model is different (I have a '12), but pairing the phone does not upload your contacts. It just enables you to use the BT, no different than if you paired a headset. After you have paired the phone, you would go to the menu, and select "Import Address Book" under the phone settings.

In any event, isn't there a "Delete All Personal Data" setting--that would delete all pairings and delete all contacts too.

(crazy) Would make talking to your garage door opener easier too. ;-)

Maybe the 2013 model is different (I have a '12), but pairing the phone does not upload your contacts. It just enables you to use the BT, no different than if you paired a headset. After you have paired the phone, you would go to the menu, and select "Import Address Book" under the phone settings.

In any event, isn't there a "Delete All Personal Data" setting--that would delete all pairings and delete all contacts too.

All 2012 contacts are uploaded at the same time. (Up to 1000) Presumably, you need to "pair" your phone, prior to being able to "import" a contact list.

To delete- you import again, but cancel. That's a ridiculous way to do it!

The 2013 has the ability to import and delete individual contacts. Also works with reading and replying to text messages. Also has expanded voice recognition for more voice commands.

If it actually works, that is. It's up to our new owners to report this. I have the 2012 Bose type 'B".

I was surprised at how easy it was to pair both of my phones (both HTC, one Android and one Windows Phone 7). It took less than 60 seconds for each one. My salesman actually did it to show me how easy it was before I drove off the lot. He mentioned that it wasn't nearly as easy to do with the standard audio system as it is with the Bose system (which I have).

Both have worked flawlessly for three months now, with one exception. It won't import my phone book from the Windows Phone, but I can live with that.

Om my '13 CX-9, everything BT seemed to work fine with my iPhone 4S when I was on iOS 5.x. I recently upgraded the phone to 6.1, and now I can't get the music shuffle button to enable at all. I'll try re-pairing to see if that helps, but if it doesn't, I'll be quite disappointed. The BT features were a big selling point for me.

I though I would mention that SIRI actually works (limited) with the latest iphone5 and iOS6, possibly others.

By works, I mean that when you press the SIRI button on the phone, the car picks up the bluetooth audio/mic from your phone. It's basically acting like a hands free speaker phone, but you can instruct her to play music, make a call, send text, or search the web. Nothing displays on my Bose screen, but it's helpful at times.

"SIRI, I have an emergency - Find the nearest Starbux!" (coffee)

Back