Spark Plugs

dang sounds SUPER easy!

It's not bad on I4 engines I've dealt with. On my other vehicle, it took me a bit longer than 10 minutes but was not difficult and the cost of NGK Iridiums was only about $20 for a set of four! They vary in price a bit but getting a set for Mazda's 2.5L should be easy for under $30.

Hi im new here. Anyone has try Bosch platinum? I purchased them and will be installing soon any input will be appreciated.

Hi im new here. Anyone has try Bosch platinum? I purchased them and will be installing soon any input will be appreciated.

For what it is worth, I spent over 5 years working in auto parts stores. The BOSCH Platinum Plug was the ONLY spark plug I ever witnessed multiple accounts of the spark plug breaking apart and the exiting spark plug pieces damaging the piston/cylinder/valves. Now these particular experiences both personally, and anecdotally from other customers happened over 20 years ago. While I am sure they have figured out things by now, I have had a hard time recommending them since.

The O.E.M. NGK Platinum Iridium plugs installed into your Mazda5 from the factory can give 75k+ miles easy, and also on the new Skyactiv motor, they can go to 100k miles and beyond in the non-turbo SKYACTIV applications.

Last edited:
Well a lot has change since 20 years ago. But will try to look for NGK's around same price tag. I dont think i have skyactive on my 2008 mazda 5 though.

Well a lot has change since 20 years ago. But will try to look for NGK's around same price tag. I dont think i have skyactive on my 2008 mazda 5 though.

I agree, a lot has changed! I do not think there would be any issues with your bosch ones you already got.!

You are correct, your 2008 Mazda 5 is not a skyactiv motor.

Last edited:
I agree, a lot has changed! I do not think there would be any issues with your bosch ones you already got.!

You are correct, your 2008 Mazda 5 is not a skyactiv motor.
We'll see, will let you know how they perform or if I see an improvement on performance.

I haven't had many issues with Bosch Platinum plugs in an OEM application (wife's 5), but I did kill a few tips in really high compression engines. Not fun.

I haven't had many issues with Bosch Platinum plugs in an OEM application (wife's 5), but I did kill a few tips in really high compression engines. Not fun.

Apparently NGK is preferable for Japanese engines, but Bosch is also good. A guy who works around BMWs told me that Bosch is better and to avoid NGK.

Apparently NGK is preferable for Japanese engines, but Bosch is also good. A guy who works around BMW’s told me that Bosch is better and to avoid NGK.

Uhhhh... one is not better than the other. Bosch is a German company- they probably make quite a few of the OEM applications for BMWs. NGK is a Japanese company. They make OEM spark plugs for many Japanese cars. Both make applications for cars from other countries too. It all comes down to choosing the right plug for what you need it to do, not just paying attention to the brand name. That's like saying "My Bridgestone tires suck." Well what did you buy for what car? The fuel saver Ecopias to put onto your Corvette? Yeah that'll really suck from a performance point of view vs a nice set of RE11s or S04s. Still Bridgestone... but different model numbers for different applications.

Uhhhh... one is not better than the other. Bosch is a German company- they probably make quite a few of the OEM applications for BMWs. NGK is a Japanese company. They make OEM spark plugs for many Japanese cars. Both make applications for cars from other countries too. It all comes down to choosing the right plug for what you need it to do, not just paying attention to the brand name. That's like saying "My Bridgestone tires suck." Well what did you buy for what car? The fuel saver Ecopias to put onto your Corvette? Yeah that'll really suck from a performance point of view vs a nice set of RE11s or S04s. Still Bridgestone... but different model numbers for different applications.

NGK is the OEM supplier for spark plugs on BMWs, or at least for the NA 6 cylinder. My BMW mechanic says that Bosch is better.

Back