For those having Transmission Issues with their CX-5

Hmmmm....That's too bad, I've never had a problem. But I wouldn't take it 100 miles away, I would go to the local dealer and have them fix the issue. Of course, if it's intermittent and doesn't exhibit any symptoms of being broken then it's pretty difficult to repair an issue that is not an issue when it's in for diagnostics. This is true whether it's a Mazda, Ford, Nissan or BMW. But to say they won't honor the warranty does not appear very credible.

There were other issues the second day after I took delivery. The selling dealer really screwed up. Mazda USA tried to help but couldn't. The other dealer decided not to get involved. Since I can't get 3 receipts showing the issues I can't use the state's lemon law. Basically I'm screwed. While I do like my CX-5 I will never buy another Mazda. So I must baby this one for at least 2-1/2 more years.

There were other issues the second day after I took delivery. The selling dealer really screwed up. Mazda USA tried to help but couldn't. The other dealer decided not to get involved. Since I can't get 3 receipts showing the issues I can't use the state's lemon law. Basically I'm screwed. While I do like my CX-5 I will never buy another Mazda. So I must baby this one for at least 2-1/2 more years.

I'm not typically one to buy into conspiracy theories, but my Mazda dealer --who has been very friendly and accommodating dealing with mine, which has CX-FAIL plates on it -- keeps coming up with excuses why they won't give me service tickets. I tell them every visit that I want one, and each time there's an excuse (most recent: they are waiting 2 weeks for an on-site visit from District Service Director to code my cab receipts for reimbursement). My CX-5 was just at the dealer for 2 days and again for 3 days to remove the data recorder (#2), to diagnose a problem with the remote starter, and then to replace the start/stop module. I can't imagine there are not separate service tickets so they can get paid under warranty, but they told me the first visit (early Feb) they were leaving it open for the part replacement, and now they're coding these receipts.

So the dealer is not willing to give you receipts? Have you consulted a lawyer to discuss the issues at all?

So the dealer is not willing to give you receipts? Have you consulted a lawyer to discuss the issues at all?

Agreed. It would be worth having a lawyer send a letter to any dealers you've been to requesting all service records for you vehicle, and a call to (useless) Mazda customer service to let them know you had to take that step, and see if they can grease the wheels.

So, from what I gather, this issue seems rather isolated still, yes?
Is there any compiled data, such as exact build dates or build #'s (VIN) of the models this issue has found itself in?

I am at over a year ownership, and closing the gap on 17k miles and the transmission has only presented itself to be rock solid. Rattles and suspension components are far more suspect on my CX-5

If anyone is still following this issue, I wanted to mention that it's not apparently not limited to 2013 CX-5s. My wife's 2014 CX-5 is currently in the shop awaiting a new valve body.

If anyone is still following this issue, I wanted to mention that it's not apparently not limited to 2013 CX-5s. My wife's 2014 CX-5 is currently in the shop awaiting a new valve body.

I don't know about "following", but many of us are still suffering. Good luck to your wife: call Mazda USA while it's in the shop, keep good records, make noise early.

I don't know about "following", but many of us are still suffering. Good luck to your wife: call Mazda USA while it's in the shop, keep good records, make noise early.

I would never follow advice from someone who was still "suffering" while under warranty. Obviously, either your car works normally or you are incompetent at enforcing the normal new car warranty.

Well got hit by this yesterday.

Was about to park when CEL, SCBS and TPMS warnings came on in the cluster display (European model).
Called Mazda road service, and got connected to a random dealer, who said it was safe to continue to drive.

Came back some hours later and only CEL warning persisted.
Drove for about 30 minutes, and everything felt normal, before CEL, SCBS, TPMS, TCS/DSC and master warning light came on.
Then the gearbox started acting up with hard gear changes, holding the gears longer than normal and I was no long able to select gears (AT) manually.

Went on flatbed to the dealer today :(

Anybody gotten a permanent fix for this?
The dealer didn't sound familiar with the problem.

Well got hit by this yesterday.

Was about to park when CEL, SCBS and TPMS warnings came on in the cluster display (European model).
Called Mazda road service, and got connected to a random dealer, who said it was safe to continue to drive.

Came back some hours later and only CEL warning persisted.
Drove for about 30 minutes, and everything felt normal, before CEL, SCBS, TPMS, TCS/DSC and master warning light came on.
Then the gearbox started acting up with hard gear changes, holding the gears longer than normal and I was no long able to select gears (AT) manually.

Went on flatbed to the dealer today :(

Anybody gotten a permanent fix for this?
The dealer didn't sound familiar with the problem.

And then what happened (after getting flabedded to dealership)?

Well, got it back yesterday, have taken over a week due to holidays and long shipping times for parts.

Apparently the problem was twofold:

1. An o2/speed(?) sensor (which was replaced) caused the car to go into limp mode.
2. The reverse camera interferes with the CAN buss and can cause random warning lights (backordered and not yet replaced).

Both problems were apparently "known problems" at Mazda.

In addition software was updated and the dip-stick was replaced.

Was in a hurry so didn't get time to go into the details.

^ Thanks for report Nesno, I hope all problems were fixed.

Has anyone experieinced this problem with a 2014 model?

Happened to my 2014 CX-5 yesterday. Suddenly lost power going up hill, pulled over, put it in park, drove a mile with no problems, but then it lost power again. Went back to work, but on way home the Check Engine light, TPMS, and TCS came on but no loss of power this time. Took to dealer next day, but lights were off. Tried to give them copy of posts from this forum about replacing valve body to fix problem, but they did not want to hear about it and said they have not heard of any problems and would call Mazda if they can't figure it out. Well, they could not figure it out after drving 50 miles and sent me home 8 hours later. I'm sure the problem will happen again and I just hope I don't get t-boned in an intersection or rear-ended on the highway. I love the CX-5, best gas mileage, fun to drive. Please Mazda put out a service bulletin about this problem so your dealer's mechanics can quickly resolve these issues.

My recent experience with th is was traced to a lose battery cable; time will tell if that was the culprit.

I think what needs to happen, is those of you who are having issues need to go beyond your dealer, in order to be heard by Mazda. And I don't mean one or two of you, but everybody who is a member here who has experienced an issue, and even if you have had repair work done to resolve the issues. It will help those of us greatly who have yet to experience any problem. If there is a legitimate mechanical defect, which can be remedied by Mazda with a recall, or even a TSB, it will make it easier for those who go in, like 2014CX5er, to get repairs completed. A TSB will make it more difficult for dealers to play dumb, and turn owners away who show up with complaints.

I haven't had any issues with mine, but it is my wife's car. If that happens while she is driving it, she will hate it and want to get rid of it.

This happened to me as expressed in other posts. I never had an issue with the dealership though. As soon as they hooked the car up to the diagnostics they got the error codes.. sent to Mazda USA who were quick to respond with replace the valve body... I'll assume that your dealership would have done this so if they come back with no codes then it could have been something different like a loose wire i guess... I cant see a dealership turning away from warranty service as hey its money in their pocket...

I will say though whoever posted the TSB's in a different thread made my last visit to my Mazda dealership easy...
this is my problem...here are the TSB's to support my problems... please fix.
They actually appreciated me bringing in the TSB's as they didnt need to BS me and had the TSB to fix my problem! No questions asked...

Something like this happened to my automatic transmission cx5 sport. I was about 30 min into my drive, stopped at a traffic light. When I accelerated, the car would not automatically shift out of 1st gear. I tried to change gears through the manual shift mode, but that did nothing. I stopped the car after about half a mile. Next time I started the engine, it was almost like nothing happened.

Next day, brought the car to the dealer and they test drove the car a few times. There were no error codes and they could not replicate the problem. They gave the car back and just said to come back if it happens again.

For those of you that experienced this, approximately what mileage were you at? I was at about 6700-6800.

This happened to me on my 2013 cx5 Touring at 4,000 miles AND AGAIN TODAY AT 21,000 miles. I'm so flipping mad. I hate this stupid car.

The traction control and flat tire lights came on and it wouldn't switch gears. So I had to drive 20 mph. Then I pulled over, turned it off, and restarted it and it was like nothing happened. When it happened at 4k miles, the dealership kept it for 2 days and had to reset something and call corporate to figure out what to do.

I have 18 months left on my 45k mile lease. Of course it's only a 36k mile warranty. Can I get rid of it early without penalty?

Last edited:
This happened to me on my 2013 cx5 Touring at 4,000 miles AND AGAIN TODAY AT 21,000 miles. I'm so flipping mad. I hate this stupid car.

The traction control and flat tire lights came on and it wouldn't switch gears. So I had to drive 20 mph. Then I pulled over, turned it off, and restarted it and it was like nothing happened. When it happened at 4k miles, the dealership kept it for 2 days and had to reset something and call corporate to figure out what to do.

I have 18 months left on my 45k mile lease. Of course it's only a 36k mile warranty. Can I get rid of it early without penalty?

Do whatever you want, but you should know that the POWERTRAIN warranty is 5 years/60k miles.
That includes the transmission.

BC.

Back