For those having Transmission Issues with their CX-5

A valve body is a transmission component that contains a series of channels through which transmission fluid flows and is diverted by various valves. These valves are controlled by the transmission control unit (TCU) and their actuation is what allows the engine to change gears. This isn't the CX-5's valve body but it's representative of a stand valve body.

2011-01-26_023658_07_4l60e_valve_body.gif

The procedure suggested by Mazda is to reprogram/recalibrate the TCU and then test drive it for 50 miles. That is what was done the first time we brought the car in. The next step would be to replace the valve body. That is what Mazda is planning on doing to our car.

The first time we had a CEL my wife was driving in automatic mode at a constant speed of about 30. The second time we had the CEL it was accompanied by the AT light and that was while sitting stationary in parking lot with the engine running. We've never had the loss of drive failure that other's have described.

You are preaching to the choir. We had the same incident happen when my wife was driving on the highway. Now she is afraid that this phenomenon will occur again when I drive to work each day. I hope someone at Mazda is looking into this else we may have a major problem down the line (like Honda did with its earlier TL/CL/Odyssey transmission issues in the early 2000 models that led to massive recalls/extended warranties on tranny's).

Had the valve body replaced at about 12,000.00 miles. Now have 15,500 on the vehicle with no re-occurrence of the TPS, TCS, and AT lights going onmy wife is still very worried about driving the vehicle to work as the last occurrence happened travelling at speed on I95.
Certainly hope that we are wrong but feel like the issue will occur again, why this fault was not discovered during testing of the vehicle is beyond belief. What changed in the transmission design or manufacturing since testing. New supplier, or did Mazda test without the warning lights enabled?
I believe (not a mechanic) that a valve body is the part of the transmission that through slight pressure changes and voltage detection regulates the shifting between gears. It seems Mazda has recommended a computer reprogramming for some people with the same problem, while others a complete valve body replacement. This raises a question of whether the ECU programming and the valve body are an issue. So sad to see that a permanent fix is yet to be found.
Having owned used Alfa Romeos in the past, it has been a very long time since a vehicle has broken down on the side of the road. Very unhappy that this has occurred in a new vehicle.

I hope someone at Mazda is looking into this else we may have a major problem down the line (like Honda did with its earlier TL/CL/Odyssey transmission issues in the early 2000 models that led to massive recalls/extended warranties on tranny's).

I doubt it, the transmission is one of the best things about the CX-5 (I have the AT but those with the 6 speed manual say the same thing). The issue you reference does not appear to be widespread. Modern cars are very complex and yet they are more reliable than cars of just 20 years ago. But no manufacturing process is perfect and with so many parts there will inevitably be a few that fail from the start. This is true of every model of car ever made. So far the CX-5 appears to be better than average. Time will tell how it does over a longer period.

While I send my sympathy that you were one of the few that needed a new valve body, I am rather surprised you are taking it so hard. As clean as modern auto assembly plants are, it's possible that a small piece of debris found it's way into the valve body and clogged a passage. Or, perhaps the supplier of the valve body did not make 100% of the parts identical. No manufacturer checks every part 100% for compliance with their specs - it is only possible to test a small percentage. Cars are not Space Shuttles - they are mass produced. The CX-5 would probably cost in excess of $100,000 each if every part were certified for spec compliance. Honestly, it is not the least bit surprising that no manufacturer has a zero percent defect rate.

I'm not taking it that hard but safe to say that until it happens to you will you realize how serious this can be i.e. having an 18 wheeler behind you suddenly do a hard stop withing a few feet of your car.

Of course I do understand that modern cars are massed produced and of course there are some issues that come up during the manufacturing process. More than anything, I just want some resolution as to how and why this problem is occurring.

I doubt it, the transmission is one of the best things about the CX-5 (I have the AT but those with the 6 speed manual say the same thing). The issue you reference does not appear to be widespread. Modern cars are very complex and yet they are more reliable than cars of just 20 years ago. But no manufacturing process is perfect and with so many parts there will inevitably be a few that fail from the start. This is true of every model of car ever made. So far the CX-5 appears to be better than average. Time will tell how it does over a longer period.

While I send my sympathy that you were one of the few that needed a new valve body, I am rather surprised you are taking it so hard. As clean as modern auto assembly plants are, it's possible that a small piece of debris found it's way into the valve body and clogged a passage. Or, perhaps the supplier of the valve body did not make 100% of the parts identical. No manufacturer checks every part 100% for compliance with their specs - it is only possible to test a small percentage. Cars are not Space Shuttles - they are mass produced. The CX-5 would probably cost in excess of $100,000 each if every part were certified for spec compliance. Honestly, it is not the least bit surprising that no manufacturer has a zero percent defect rate.

I don’t have an extreme dissatisfaction with the fact that my vehicle needs a new valve body. It is an inconvenience, but this transmission is new to Mazda, their engineers and their technicians, and thus it isn’t absurd for it to have a few of these issues. I have no data but the rate of incident with theses transmissions seems to be rather low and thus it isn't an issue of quality or design failure that is widespread enough to warrant a recall. I design turbomachinery components for a living and even in that industry teething problems are common.

If the replacement valve body fixes the issue then I’ll be satisfied. We enjoy the vehicle and as long as this doesn’t become a repeated incident I’ll be content with chalking it off.

Would it be possible for people to find their build month. Its on the vin plate inside the drivers door. Top left of plate. Mine says 06/12. I am trying to determine if it was a run of bad valves on the assembly line.

It happened to me with a similar situation climbing a mountain. All the lights flashing and the transmission cut out.

I had a code reader on me and immediately scanned the CEL code and it said:

P0847
Powertrain - Transmission - ISO/SAE Controlled
Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "B" Circuit Low

Shortly after restarting the car, the CEL went off and everything seemed normal. At this point the car seems fine, so I'll just wait for Mazda to figure it out before taking her in.

This code refers to the #2 trans oil pressure sender. Says for tech to check trans fluid level. Test voltage of switch. Replace switch if necessary. Providing no additional codes. Do yo remember what outside temp was?

As in most things in life it comes down to a matter of perspective. Mel Brooks once said "Tragedy is if I get a paper cut. . . . Comedy
is if you fall into an open sewer and die."

Having this transmission issue travelling at 3 mph in a parking lot, or while stopped at a traffic light is different to having this issue happen while travelling at 65 mph on one of the busiest freeways in the USA. In my opinion (not fact) one is an inconvenience; the other can leave you very shook up.

p.s. Please don't anyone jump to conclusions that I am wishing any harm to anyone by including the Mel Brooks quote, nothing could be further from the truth!

This code refers to the #2 trans oil pressure sender. Says for tech to check trans fluid level. Test voltage of switch. Replace switch if necessary. Providing no additional codes. Do yo remember what outside temp was?

It was around 40-50F outside. A few days before the incident I climbed a much steeper, much colder (around 20F) mountain and had no problem.

Build date is 2/12

Update: So after 2 months I finally have my cx5 back and it seems to be running smoother than last i remember. They replaced the whole transmission after putting a new valve body did not work. I will provide the cel code on the work sheet when I find it.

I had my 2013 CX-5 (build date 4/12) in for its first oil change at 5k miles yesterday. The service advisor told me about this newly discovered CX-5 gremlin involving the panel lighting up and the transmission rapidly shifting down to second and staying there, limiting speed to 20 mph or so. He mentioned something about two cases in 7000 cars and that the fix so far was to "re-flash" ECU and drive it 100 miles.

I didn't think that much more about it until I checked this forum; it now looks to me like the chance of this occurrence is far higher than 1/3500, especially with an early built date vehicle. Additionally, the inconsistency of apparent causes and recommended repairs noted in this forum lead me to believe that Mazda has yet to definitely determine either. I would imagine they will eventually figure this out, but until they do, or at least until I can get a better handle on just how big (or small) a problem this is, I will be reluctant to take my vehicle on any more long trips.

I had my 2013 CX-5 (build date 4/12) in for its first oil change at 5k miles yesterday. The service advisor told me about this newly discovered CX-5 gremlin involving the panel lighting up and the transmission rapidly shifting down to second and staying there, limiting speed to 20 mph or so. He mentioned something about two cases in 7000 cars and that the fix so far was to "re-flash" ECU and drive it 100 miles.

I didn't think that much more about it until I checked this forum; it now looks to me like the chance of this occurrence is far higher than 1/3500, especially with an early built date vehicle. Additionally, the inconsistency of apparent causes and recommended repairs noted in this forum lead me to believe that Mazda has yet to definitely determine either. I would imagine they will eventually figure this out, but until they do, or at least until I can get a better handle on just how big (or small) a problem this is, I will be reluctant to take my vehicle on any more long trips.

IMO, a reprogramming of ECU/TCM parameters can be a potential work-around a physical, mechanical issue. If they can more cheaply attempt to resolve the issue without tearing things apart, then it is a win for them (for better or worse for us).
That is why a new valve body is secondary, if the problem persists after a TCM reflash.

I had my 2013 CX-5 (build date 4/12) in for its first oil change at 5k miles yesterday.

You might want to check the time limit on oil change in your maintance schedule to keep your warrantee in place - I think it requires an oil change every four to six months...

Has anyone experieinced this problem with a 2014 model?

As far as I can ascertain, the problem is limited to early build 2013 models (built in early 2012). And only a small portion of those vehicles exhibit any problem.

I experienced this phenomenon again merging on the interstate. I'm glad to know its the tranny. Too bad my dealer won't honor the warranty, or the other dealer 100 miles away.

I experienced this phenomenon again merging on the interstate. I'm glad to know its the tranny. Too bad my dealer won't honor the warranty, or the other dealer 100 miles away.

Hmmmm....That's too bad, I've never had a problem. But I wouldn't take it 100 miles away, I would go to the local dealer and have them fix the issue. Of course, if it's intermittent and doesn't exhibit any symptoms of being broken then it's pretty difficult to repair an issue that is not an issue when it's in for diagnostics. This is true whether it's a Mazda, Ford, Nissan or BMW. But to say they won't honor the warranty does not appear very credible.

Latest posts

Back