For those having Transmission Issues with their CX-5

Got a call back from the dealer, they reset the ECU and drove 50 miles are instructed by Mazda. they were not able to find anything wrong with it since the reset. I am picking up the car today. Just wonderful..... what if this happens again? i.e. sudden downshift and loss of vehicle speed?

Got a call back from the dealer, they reset the ECU and drove 50 miles are instructed by Mazda. they were not able to find anything wrong with it since the reset. I am picking up the car today. Just wonderful..... what if this happens again? i.e. sudden downshift and loss of vehicle speed?

I'm guessing its a software/system bug. Mine had a reset and update and everything back to normal. No similar issue happened so far.

I'm guessing its a software/system bug. Mine had a reset and update and everything back to normal. No similar issue happened so far.

This same exact thing happened to me with about 4,000 miles. They reset the transmission and drove it 50 miles. I'm now at 8900 miles and haven't had any repeat problems.

We bought a 'corporate' used CX-5 with about 7500 miles on it in Sept. 2012. This has happened to me twice (as of today it's still in the shop for the second repair). The first time we brought it in (10/22/12) they did a computer update. It happened again on 1/02/13 when I was merging unto a freeway. The tranny would not move up to 2nd gear, the tach went up to 3500-4000 rpms, the car would not move, the tsc, tpms, AT and engine lights all went on. I was able to move off of the freeway and turned off the vehicle. I sat for a few minutes and turned it back on. All the lights stayed on but the car moved and shifted smoothly so I was able to drive home and then to the dealer. As this was the second time I took it to them for this problem they checked with Mazda tech support about it. I was informed later that day that they needed to get a valve body and a solenoid for the tranny and that it would take about a week for them to get the parts. They also mentioned that Mazda was aware of similar incidents with the transmission but that they, the dealer I bought it from, had not had any other occurence with it. I find this strange since Mazda supposedly had this car for over 7,500 miles before I bought it and I've barely had it for 500 miles and this happened to me twice. I'm still waiting to hear back from them.
I just got off the phone with the dealer and ETA for parts is either today 1/10 or tomorrow 1/11.

Last edited:
Keep us informed about your issue, this is a HUGE safety issue and I plan to contact Mazda directly about this. Anytime you lose speed on a highway (like me) its a big problem.

We bought a 'corporate' used CX-5 with about 7500 miles on it in Sept. 2012. This has happened to me twice (as of today it's still in the shop for the second repair). The first time we brought it in (10/22/12) they did a computer update. It happened again on 1/02/13 when I was merging unto a freeway. The tranny would not move up to 2nd gear, the tach went up to 3500-4000 rpms, the car would not move, the tsc, tpms, AT and engine lights all went on. I was able to move off of the freeway and turned off the vehicle. I sat for a few minutes and turned it back on. All the lights stayed on but the car moved and shifted smoothly so I was able to drive home and then to the dealer. As this was the second time I took it to them for this problem they checked with Mazda tech support about it. I was informed later that day that they needed to get a valve body and a solenoid for the tranny and that it would take about a week for them to get the parts. They also mentioned that Mazda was aware of similar incidents with the transmission but that they, the dealer I bought it from, had not had any other occurence with it. I find this strange since Mazda supposedly had this car for over 7,500 miles before I bought it and I've barely had it for 500 miles and this happened to me twice. I'm still waiting to hear back from them.
I just got off the phone with the dealer and ETA for parts is either today 1/10 or tomorrow 1/11.

If indeed there is a defective mechanical issue, that is disappointing.
Mazda has always been reluctant to issue voluntary recalls.
But, with the potential safety hazard associated with this issue, perhaps we will see a recall if the issue continues to crop up.
I am partucularly worried, because I have an early build.

Which leaves me to this question...

Does anybody know if the valve body Mazda is using to replace the body on problematic transmissions is an updated, different part, i.e., different part number?

I got a hold of the dealership and they got the valve body today after waiting for more than a month. Hope this fixes it but I won't know until I drive it for many miles again. The gap between the first occurrence and the second were thousands of miles apart.

On my CX5 with Feb 2012 manufacture date and 6000 miles, I had a similar transmission incident this week. Going over a RR crossing on a wet day, the TCS lights suddenly came on and then the engine races to 3500 rpm, but the vehicle will not move faster than 25-30 mph. The low tire pressure light came on and started flashing. Moved the transmission to manual mode, but only 'M' sign was visible, no numbers to indicate gear position. I was able to up-shift and get going for a while and later shift back to auto position. After driving about 4 miles turned off the vehicle and restarted after about a minute and the warning lights were gone.

Took the CX5 to dealer yesterday and they said this the first time they hear about this problem. I had shown them the print out this thread and it was given to the mechanics to review. According to the SA, when they called the tech support of Mazda, they did not acknowledge that they were aware of the problem, but asked the dealer to check for any software updates and reflash the ECU. That is what the dealer did. Now I am driving the vehicle with caution.

Last edited:
Thanks for documenting that on video. My dealership has never heard of this problem before but was advised by mazda to replace valve body. He also said that it is not a guaranteed fix and is still under the process of elimination.

I don't know what caused your car to go into "limp home mode" but the video you uploaded shows that you did not do a proper reset when you turned the car off. The manual says that pressing the engine on/off button while the car is still in gear does not shut the electrical system off.

If my car ever went into limp home mode I would pull off the road as soon as possible, put the transmission in Park and then re-start the system by pressing the engine on/off button twice (once to turn the engine off and once to re-start the engine) while stepping on the brake pedal. This way the computer is re-booted.

Last edited:
We did do a restart. This incident occured while my wife was driving. I had her pull over and shut the car off. We got out and switched places. I started the car and the problem still showed up.

I don't know what caused your car to go into "limp home mode" but the video you uploaded shows that you did not do a proper reset when you turned the car off. The manual says that pressing the engine on/off button while the car is still in gear does not shut the electrical system off.

If my car ever went into limp home mode I would pull off the road as soon as possible, put the transmission in Park and then re-start the system by pressing the engine on/off button twice (once to turn the engine off and once to re-start the engine). This way the computer is re-booted.

We did do a restart. This incident occured while my wife was driving. I had her pull over and shut the car off. We got out and switched places. I started the car and the problem still showed up.

All I am saying is if the car is left in gear when the engine is turned off (as depicted in your video) a re-boot is not performed. You may have done the procedure correctly when video wasn't running but that's not what is shown in your video.

i watched the video and it seems he was in Park when he shut it off. The dash even says P.

On a side note - you won't be able to start the car if left in Gear other than Park when pressing the start button.

i watched the video and it seems he was in Park when he shut it off. The dash even says P.

On a side note - you won't be able to start the car if left in Gear other than Park when pressing the start button.

No, you can see him move the shift lever into Park AFTER he shut the engine off. Also, the warning lights in the instrument cluster do not shut off when he turns the engine off - a sure sign that the car was not in Park when shut down.

No, you can see him move the shift lever into Park AFTER he shut the engine off. Also, the warning lights in the instrument cluster do not shut off when he turns the engine off - a sure sign that the car was not in Park when shut down.

I see. The lights did stay on.

As for how mine happened: 1st time I did a proper reset and it took me out of limp mode and drove fine for about a thousand more miles. The 2nd time it happened even after a proper reset the dash lights remained on as well as the check engine light. Drove fine for a mile then did the whole thing again. I did a third reset (shut off shut on) and the dash lights were gone but the check engine light remained. Drove cautiously to the dealership with no issues.

Talked to the dealership and after installing new valve body and running diagnostics they think it needs the whole transmission replaced. Will find out tomorrow what the verdict is. This is just starting to suck even more.

It happened to me with a similar situation climbing a mountain. All the lights flashing and the transmission cut out.

I had a code reader on me and immediately scanned the CEL code and it said:

P0847
Powertrain - Transmission - ISO/SAE Controlled
Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "B" Circuit Low

Shortly after restarting the car, the CEL went off and everything seemed normal. At this point the car seems fine, so I'll just wait for Mazda to figure it out before taking her in.

Well we had a CEL 2 weeks ago (http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123824934-MIL-Codes) that ended up being related to the transmission. After reloading the transmission control unity software and driving the vehicle for 50 Miles Mazda declared the issue fixed.

However, my wife was parked in front of a store yesterday and talking on the phone. A few minutes after parking she realized that there were 3 lights on the dash (TPMS, AT, and CEL). She got concerned and called me and after restarting the car the AT and TPMS lights cleared but the CEL remained. After more driving later that night the CEL went away. I pulled the code with my scanner and it came back the same as last time P7022. It's going back to the dealer on Tuesday.

Last edited:
Update: car went to dealer today (Thursday) and the Mazda tech line told them to replace the valve body. The part won't be here until Tuesday and they expect to return teh car on Wednesday. In the mean time we'll have a rental car.

Has anyone else had the valve body replaced per Mazda's suggestion and has that been a permanent fix to the problem?

Worried Owner

Update: car went to dealer today (Thursday) and the Mazda tech line told them to replace the valve body. The part won't be here until Tuesday and they expect to return teh car on Wednesday. In the mean time we'll have a rental car.

Has anyone else had the valve body replaced per Mazda's suggestion and has that been a permanent fix to the problem?

Had the valve body replaced at about 12,000.00 miles. Now have 15,500 on the vehicle with no re-occurrence of the TPS, TCS, and AT lights going onmy wife is still very worried about driving the vehicle to work as the last occurrence happened travelling at speed on I95.
Certainly hope that we are wrong but feel like the issue will occur again, why this fault was not discovered during testing of the vehicle is beyond belief. What changed in the transmission design or manufacturing since testing. New supplier, or did Mazda test without the warning lights enabled?
I believe (not a mechanic) that a valve body is the part of the transmission that through slight pressure changes and voltage detection regulates the shifting between gears. It seems Mazda has recommended a computer reprogramming for some people with the same problem, while others a complete valve body replacement. This raises a question of whether the ECU programming and the valve body are an issue. So sad to see that a permanent fix is yet to be found.
Having owned used Alfa Romeos in the past, it has been a very long time since a vehicle has broken down on the side of the road. Very unhappy that this has occurred in a new vehicle.

Back