For those having Transmission Issues with their CX-5

And for people who prefer to row they're own. Better mpg's, better performance, better control. I wish more people would opt for the manual. We'd have less people pissing with they're cell phones if they actually had to pay attention to they're driving.

Their

Lol, good luck with that (not that it matters or would make up a significant number of vehicles sold in NA).

I went into a dealer today to check out a Sport 6MT. Sad to say I like the Touring features and color options better but since I am denied a manual in the Touring I am looking elsewhere. Mazda almost lost a sale on our MZ5 due to this as well, but my wife was okay with the auto, which seems to be well behaved.

Been having a similar problem just in automatic mode (without using Manual mode). More than a few times, when trying to accelerate the engine just revs (like it's been shifted into neutral or it dropped into a lower gear like others have said). Since I'm in the automatic mode I don't seen any change to what gear I'm in, and "so far" no flashing lights. The car seems to be fine afterwards, but my confidence in the CX-5 is starting to erode.

Mileage has been pretty good - on normal weeks driving to work (55 mph, but with some traffic lights) I get around 32 mpg. With more city driving I get around 29-30. Oh and I have 11,000 miles on it now.

Mine is getting fixed for a faulty transmission valve. Still waiting for the parts but will see if it fixes the problem. If that thing happens again on yours see if you can switch to manual mode to see what gear it is stuck on. Mine went blank and the lights were flashing.

Been having a similar problem just in automatic mode (without using Manual mode). More than a few times, when trying to accelerate the engine just revs (like it's been shifted into neutral or it dropped into a lower gear like others have said). Since I'm in the automatic mode I don't seen any change to what gear I'm in, and "so far" no flashing lights. The car seems to be fine afterwards, but my confidence in the CX-5 is starting to erode.

Mileage has been pretty good - on normal weeks driving to work (55 mph, but with some traffic lights) I get around 32 mpg. With more city driving I get around 29-30. Oh and I have 11,000 miles on it now.
What does the dealer say? (you have taken it in, haven't you?)

I ended up having a very similar issue myself while Mazda's data recorder was installed. My car's OBD logged that the computers inside the car stopped communicating with each other. After 3 days, Mazda's diagnosis was that the cause of my issue was the data recorder itself (which after 3 weeks in the car had no data on it).

11/16 data recorder goes in
12/11 CX-5 breaks down (earning it's CX-FAIL name)
12/12 NHTSA complaint
12/12 Mazda Flat Rock impounds for further assessment
12/14 Mazda indicates cause of death is data recorder
12/22 Mazda gets specific, the cable caused the failure

They are putting a new data recorder in tomorrow.

Death by data recorder, no fun and no useful info unfortunately.

Why is it that every car I had lately had some kind of recall on it? My speed3 it was the engine mount, venza was I forgot because I traded in the cx5 before fixing it and now this....

Why is it that every car I had lately had some kind of recall on it? My speed3 it was the engine mount, venza was I forgot because I traded in the cx5 before fixing it and now this....

Your CX-5 has a some kind of recall?

Had the same EXACT issue happen to me today on a drive back to NY on the NJ Turnpike (quite eerie that it happened to the poster below). i.e. traction light, low air pressure light and everything else described.

I called Mazda and they sent a tow for me but realized the nearest Mazda dealership was closed and that I would have to wait till Monday meanwhile I would be stranded in the middle of nowhere in South Jersey. We waited about an hour for the tow truck to come and upon startup the only thing present was the check engine light. I managed to limp back to NYC doing 40mph.

I am going to call my dealership on Monday morning and have it checked it. My wife freaked out when this happened as it was her driving. I am really concerned now and our trust in this vehicle has been shaken. Hope Mazda can figure this out.

The CX-5 has its first NHTSA complaints:

Click this link http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm and search for 10474373

Has anyone else heard from Mazda that there is an update to the transmission control unit, or is this BS?

just an update, my car has been at the dealer since Monday. They have given me a rental car until they can diagnose or reproduce the problem which entailed resetting the ECU and driving it for 50 miles to see if anything pops up. I am a bit concerned but hopeful a resolution will be found.

My car is in the shop for over a month now. The valve body is on backorder and still waiting from Mazda japan to ship it to the dealer.

Had the same EXACT issue happen to me today on a drive back to NY on the NJ Turnpike (quite eerie that it happened to the poster below). i.e. traction light, low air pressure light and everything else described.

I called Mazda and they sent a tow for me but realized the nearest Mazda dealership was closed and that I would have to wait till Monday meanwhile I would be stranded in the middle of nowhere in South Jersey. We waited about an hour for the tow truck to come and upon startup the only thing present was the check engine light. I managed to limp back to NYC doing 40mph.

I am going to call my dealership on Monday morning and have it checked it. My wife freaked out when this happened as it was her driving. I am really concerned now and our trust in this vehicle has been shaken. Hope Mazda can figure this out.

I had the exactly same issue with my 6 mth old CX-5. They told me that it was due to some bug in the software. After they updated the software, all back to normal until today.

I had the exactly same issue with my 6 mth old CX-5. They told me that it was due to some bug in the software. After they updated the software, all back to normal until today.

Really? So i guess the updated software didnt do anything.

Are you taking it back to them?

Back