Starter replacement: 2000 LX 1.6 Auto.

80sGuy

:
2000 Mazda Protege LX Auto
How hard is it to replace the 'Starter' on the 1.6 Auto...and where is it by the way, is it accessible for DIY?

If its the same place on the 2.0 it's between the motor and firewall on the bottom pretty much in the center of the car. Use ramps or jack stands and make sure you're on level ground. You'll be all the way under the car so you want to make sure it's as sturdy as possible. It's easy to do 2 bolts and 2 or 3 wires it generally takes me longer to make sure the car is sturdy than to actually pull it out

^Great, thanks! I'm sure it is not far from where you say it is. I'm leery about getting under cars unless I know it is securely hoisted up the ground. Maybe I should jack up the front and place hardcover bound books underneath the front wheels for clearance and then crawl under there. I did that when I replaced the bottom O2 Sensor years ago.

Always use jackstands or a ramp. Sometimes I drive the car up on a set of Rhino ramps and then jack up the rear. I'll leave the hydraulic floor jack in-place and use jack stands.

80sguy: You get around to replacing that starter? I think I may have to do the same... Car just cut out on me and now won't crank up..

Yeah Steve I just wanted to do it since Starter was never changed. This is the original (along with the Alternator which I replaced a little more than a year ago) and has been there since mid '99. The Starter works fine without any symptoms but I think it is time to put some thoughts into it since the car is getting pretty old with 149,000 miles. It still looks excellent and drives very well. For what it is I think this car is pretty much bullet-proof.

Mine is the original too, since 2000. I'm must dumbfounded because up until today, car started up, ran decent and then did it all again the next day. Today, started up and then randomly cut off. I'm at 127,000 miles now.. Going to scan codes and see what it says..

I'm in the same boat. 'Just bought a 2000 1.6 with 226000 miles and I think the original starter. Replaced the alternator, along with timing belt, crank seal, belts and hoses. Starter seems to be fine but it's just a matter of time before the brushes are gone. It looks like not too bad a job, esp. for someone using a hoist. Guess I'll add it to the "eventually" list for now. Saw a rebuilt at an online store for $325!

I have a '99 1.8 (180,000 miles) that has a bad starter, I think. One click with the turn of the key, and it starts one in every 20 times or so. I FINALLY found the starter tonight. I found the bottom bolt under the car, but does anyone know where the eff the top bolt is? I think I'm going to take pictures of the process and post them here once I get this replaced.

Back