FS-DE Limits

seriously havent searched very much have you. PAR straight cuts/helical cuts. GTX I think. Mfactory diff. Quaife diff. It just takes some time using the SEARCH function to find your answers

I had read about PAR gears...but I had also read they'd discontinued production of them...misinformation maybe?

I know of the Mfactory AND the Quaife differential. Lentech and level ten also offer differentials for the auto guys.

I'd LOVE to continue use of the search button, but with information hidden so DEEP in build threads 250 pages long, it would take two years to find information that a lovely poster could have typed up in the same time it took you to tell me to search, so hush...been there, looked, found what was readily available, been not only on Mazda247's search fields, but club protege, toronto protege, google, and the local mazda tuners....hmmm...two years to sift through a decade of information on these cars or two minutes to pick the brain of somebody with the experience...which is more cost effective? Time effective? I'ma go with the easiest and most effective solution...ask when finding the solution myself become difficult!

It's funny that its been 10 years and people are still appauled at the "weak" rods and tranny. Its a crappy econobox. One that we all love, yes, but still. Enjoy the car for what it is, and if you want more, get something else. So many people have dumped thousands upon thousands of dollars into these cars before finally realizing "oh s***, it would ve been cheaper to buy an Evo." It is what is is.

Or Mazda could have released an econobox to COMPETE with the STI and EVO....seriously. The Impreza is in the same class as the Protege...an econobox. Same with the Lancer...it seems people forget that the EVO and STI are just what the Protege is...an econobox...except instead of slipping it downers at the performance party...they gave em steroids. What if the Protege5 had the same level of engineering as the Mazda 3? We might have had a mazdaspeed protege capable of competing with the STI and EVO...why not? The current MS3 does just fine at 260hp.

I wouldn't go that far saying the evo and sti are econoboxes when they both for known internationally for WRC. I hope this thread doesn't blow up into an all out debate. But anyway, you have all the info you asked for as far as what the FSDE is capable of, whether it's built or not. The decision is yours in the end. So, there really isn't a need to continue with this if this is going to go from "fsde limits" to "so called econbox Evos and STI's"

Last edited:
Yes, Mazda could and should have done more. What's the point of talking about this 10 years later? The limitations of these cars are very well known and have been for many years. I just dont get people who buy an MSP and b**** about not being able to make 300 whp. If you didnt do your research prior to byuing one, you're an idiot. Plain and simple.

So is the focus...and the 206...

Those weren't mentioned originally. It really does get old seeing people compare these cars to other platforms. mom and pop don't go to a dealer and buy an evo or sti. Bottom line is, if you want to build it, by all means do it. There will be plenty of help available here on the forum. If not, please don't start comparing power levels with other platforms. It doesn't prove anything. The MS3 is a completely different platform with a completely different baseline for power. But anyway, what ever you choose, be sure to post progress on here so we can all follow it.

Yes, Mazda could and should have done more. What's the point of talking about this 10 years later? The limitations of these cars are very well known and have been for amlong time now. I just dont get people who buy an MSP and b**** about not being able to make 300 whp. If you didnt do your research prior to byuing one, you're an idiot. Plain and simple.

IN YOUR FACE, OP!!! LOL

But seriously... I didn't buy this car for it's horsepower rating or it's 1/4 mile time...

Through the twisties is where this car shines, and that's why I bought it. Sure every little bit of extra horsepower you tweak out of it makes it that more fun, but if you're not willing to throw thousands and thousands at it, you're going to be going through motors/transmissions like crazy. I speak from experience.

IN YOUR FACE, OP!!! LOL

But seriously... I didn't buy this car for it's horsepower rating or it's 1/4 mile time...

Through the twisties is where this car shines, and that's why I bought it. Sure every little bit of extra horsepower you tweak out of it makes it that more fun, but if you're not willing to throw thousands and thousands at it, you're going to be going through motors/transmissions like crazy. I speak from experience.

all taken with a grain of salt, I assure you. Competitive conversation doesn't bother me. My thing is...you say it'll take thousands on thousands to build the car. Or I could spend thousands upon thousands to BUY a car. The Evo VII's and VIII's both decade old technologies making about 260-270hp at the crank are STILL selling for 18-20K. It's not unreasonable to think one can pick up a BJ protege for 3-5k, drop $10k into and come up with a car that will make similar performance. In the end the cost is comparable.

You're also comparing a car that cost 20k new to a car that was what, 36-40k new?

Yes you can drop $15k into your car and it will be a beast. By all means, if thats what you want. Many have done just that and are happy. I'd rather just buy an Evo, at least it will retain some resale value.

And yes, Evos and Sti's were $30k back in the day and an MSP was right around $19k. So yea.

If you already had the intentions of spending at least $10-15k then your close to being on the right track...
Sooooo many threads like this.... I blew my first stock 3rd gear at 10psi around 230whp with a bigger turbo, then again at 13psi around 250ish. The advantages of the gtx gears are minimal if anything! As for the motor even with a built motor a J&S safeguard is a wise investment! The oil system is severely lacking and even without the toothpick rods in the equation bad things can happen. There are solutions for as much $$$$$ as you have to spend :)

I'd guess the question still stands then - "How fast can you afford to go?"

Seems you have a hint of what you're in for sir - good luck on your build. Keep us updated!

These guys speak the truth... the term "pay to play" is something you need to take seriously with this platform for performance and reliability.

Last edited:
^ most cars that you want to make fast and race... gotta be ready to pay to play if not , dont even try lol

Or Mazda could have released an econobox to COMPETE with the STI and EVO....seriously. The Impreza is in the same class as the Protege...an econobox. Same with the Lancer...it seems people forget that the EVO and STI are just what the Protege is...an econobox...except instead of slipping it downers at the performance party...they gave em steroids. What if the Protege5 had the same level of engineering as the Mazda 3? We might have had a mazdaspeed protege capable of competing with the STI and EVO...why not? The current MS3 does just fine at 260hp.

Mazda did back in '88 called the 323 gtx which dominates all and even today mine dominates most

To sum up what I know from MY research is stock motors are good for 220-250 whp and trans is good for 300-350. Mostly depends on how it's tuned and how well it's been taken care of

^ most cars that you want to make fast and race... gotta be ready to pay to play if not , dont even try lol

oh, definitely, but I was speaking in terms of this particular platform. So many weak spots that you need to fix, before you can start throwing any kind of power at it, unlike other cars.

Back