Header Install question

kosteniuks17

:
Mazda Protege5 2003
So I have some M2 performance headers coming in this week with a new egr valve. Im very limited on tools, like almost none ha, and havent been able to find the exact tools needed for the job. I think it was 10 mm, 12 mm, and 14 mm socket wrench to remove the bolts, is that right? I also read that it might be impossible getting the old bolts off, did anyone have that problem when trying to unscrew them with a socket wrench? Just need to know what to have before I get under there and start taking things apart and get stuck with a messed up car and no tools. Any advise or help before would be great.

Depends on how bad rusted your stuff is. It could be a pain in the ass but IIRC it is just 12mm socket. If it is any kind of rusted up then make sure to use 6 pt sockets and people with rusted stuff usually soak down the bolts with PB Blaster or somethin like that. But the threads are inside. use that stuff on nuts to come off the studs. The manifold will have both and the heat shield may be the worst ones but those don't have to go back on since putting header on. Use fresh exhaust gasket. Get your egr tube started with header in place before tightening down the bolts. Easy to strip that out or cross-thread. Make sure it is started on there right before tightening down the header bolts. tighten it down til it stops then just back off a bit, then tighten header bolts. If you are also replacing the egr valve at same time, leave both ends loose until header is in place. Put egr valve back first and tighten it up then do tube loosely on that end then get header in place. You may need 1/4 inch drive to get egr bolts off and you will have to do 2 of them by feel. Make sure to remove intake and battery to give yourself access. It can be done without removing the throttle body.

I agree with all of this as I just did the header swap and now I know how to get my egr tube attached. I might add all my header bolts came out fine as well as the front cat bolts. BUT I also soaked everything in PB Blaster as it has yet to let me down. But overall this was a Low to Moderate skill level task in my opinion. I grew up doing this stuff though. As far as the tool list it sounds like you have figured out what you need but dont forget the adjustable wrench. GOOD LUCK and happy tuning

fuzzy orangish krust that grows in certain regions of the country. usually salt fed.

Back