Exhaust manifold removal

Alright so I've got a blown exhaust gasket that I need to change, my only problem is, how do I get to the lower 3 bolts? I'm considering cutting a socket down so I can slip it in there with a u-joint but what is the right way? Been running searches but I can't find anything on it

nope, did everything from above, went underneath to remove the 3 nuts from the j pipe and remove the oil return line

Alrighty then. So it can be done from above. Excellent. Won't be doing this for a couple days but wanted to make sure I had everything I needed together. I'm hoping I can just unbolt the mani pull it back a touch and slip the gaskets in and out. Anything I'm missing?

Its just easier to remove the entire turbo, manifold, and j-pipe all in good, and then remove the manifold with it alll out of the car.

Yeah those lower 3 middle bolts are a pretty big pain. I remember using the open end of a wrench on the bolt and putting a small extension bar through the other end for leverage.

I don't need to remove the manifold from the turbo just from the block

dude just stop being lazy and take the manifold, turbo, and j-pipe off. trust us when we say its easier. we been there done that.

Its not that hard, Sounds like all he is trying to do is replace the exhaust gasket for the head.

Tuners and rods, all you need to do is remove all the bolts out of the head, undo the EGR pipe, and down by the turbo their is a bracket that mounts the s-pipe to the block. You will need to remove that or at least one side of it to allow you to pull everything away from the head. Word of advice, remove the rad fans, and stick a peice of cardboard to help protect the rad fins. This will give you a lot more room to work with. Not really needed but more room is always a good thing. Also forgot the bracket on the j-pipe that mounts to the underside of the block or trans that will need to be loosened as well.

Thanks Stealth. That was what I needed. I only have about three hours from start to finish to do this so I don't need to be fighting trying to break hardware loose that doesn't need to come off. It is just the manifold gasket I am replaceing not ny of the pipe gaskets.

I know this threads a little stale now but figured I post up something I discovered when taking out my Exhaust Manifold today.

For the three bottom bolts, I found that a crescent wrench with a 12-sided closed end worked better than the hexagonal type since there were more places the wrench would catch. After trying for hours with a 12mm crescent wrench with the hexagonal end, I ended up getting out the bolts within minutes with the 12-sided end.

Here's what I used:

Combination-Wrench-Spanner-DB6220-.jpg

Hopefully this will help anyone else who end up in the same boat as me! :)

my weapon of choice bought 2 turned out one had a thinner head worked out even better
2013-01-19_16-30-20_432.jpg

Latest posts

Back