Back to Laser Blue!

Sunday and Monday, removed the transmission:

576926_647353810902_1556136470_n.jpg

While removing the transmission, TORE the **** out of the rear mount.. forgot to disconnect a little 12mm that was still holding it on to the trans. I think the mount was already torn, but now it's quite torn. Anyway, had to remove the rear mount. That was a complete b****. Even though this is a California car and I didn't spray a single damn bolt with penetrant all project long, those 17mm for the rear mount are really hard to reach and get straight torque on. Also they are torqued way the **** down. We ended up doing a 28" breaker bar plus a jack pipe on the end, with almost two feet of wobble extensions. Impact was just stripping the tops of the bolts, since we weren't quite getting the sockets on it correctly. One bolt was removed fine though. Here's the good, the bad and the ugly:

304372_647354863792_1343140497_n.jpg

Had to take a few trips to Autozone and Harbor Freight to locate the right gear puller. Needed a 2-jaw puller to pull the old races out of the transmission case. Ended up getting a 2-jaw 3-puller set of different sizes and putting smallest arms on the largest puller, to have a proper "inside the race" reach. Clamped a block of wood against the back of the case and was able to remove both of the old bearing races:

557264_647355008502_1551536539_n.jpg

Spent about an hour or two (lost track of time) lining up the gear linkages back up correctly. Forgot to take close-ups of the linkages before we took it apart. Also one of the races for the secondary shaft popped halfway out on its own, which confuzzled us. Learned a lot about how the transmission works! Now I know exactly how every damn gear is selected and how neutral works. It's kinda neat in the end.

Put the LSD in, the bearing preload torque is at the top of the spec. I'll take it, don't want to **** with putting in new shims. It might just loosen up a tad over time anyway.

Still need to clean case edges, RTV it and bolt it back together. Then gotta do the clutch & flywheel + possibly rear main seal (looks like it might be seeping). So two weeknights of work still left in this.

I have a whole backlog of pictures! (coming soon)

For now, in the middle of installing stock springs on Tokico Illuminas:

8019927278_1b31522b49_c.jpg

Found that tie rod ends were torn, so replaced those and antiseized the s*** out of the threads. Also, right rear caliper is seized on the bottom slider, couldn't bang it off w/ a 4-lb sledgehammer, so a new caliper it is (picking that up today).

nice! i loved my tokico's that lasted me almost 70k..looking forward to going for a ride fri!

Back