Back to Laser Blue!

Astral

Contributor
As of yesterday, I am now an owner of a 2003 Mazda Protege5, laser blue. It's a one-owner California car, shipped from North Hollywood. I had it shipped by Golden Key Transport, who did a fine job.

140,234 miles on the clock as picked up. Lowered on Eibach springs on stock struts.

7891988260_b2f7951767_c.jpg

7894764554_f8e0b346bd_b.jpg

7894641066_73ba5bb16a_b.jpg

7894637370_fd4ff19779_b.jpg

7894640372_dbcfdcbc0b_b.jpg

The car has a ghetto aftermarket alarm system. Rear right door lock isn't working, probably a broken actuator.

A bunch of paint issues. Clearcoat peeling on the rear spoiler and tops of most door handles. Upside down ding on the hood. Car keyed on the passenger side. Rear left bumper has cracked paint. Front bumper is scraped from the car being lowered and is missing a small chunk of the lip on the driver side. Clearcoat is faded on the roof.

However, the car is pretty damn rust free:

7891993860_c04aa2f71c_b.jpg

7891992430_5ef4f45eb5_b.jpg

7891993088_633b9c6fd6_c.jpg

7891991770_63c0882a75_c.jpg

7891991198_3538014075_c.jpg

7891990560_1252947232_c.jpg

It looks like this is a stock strut?

7891989782_33deaf2612_c.jpg

The clutch chatters still, so it might be the original clutch?

Last night, already installed TWM Delrin shift knob.

Mods coming up:

Mazdaspeed LSD welded (brand new)
New Exedy OEM clutch
Fidanza lightweight flywheel
Corksport skidplate
B&M short shifter
Corksport shifter bushings (polyurethane and bronzoil and 3rd linkage bronzoil)
Corksport underhood LED lights
Mazda 6 17" summer rims
AXR clunk fix kit + regreasable Energy Suspension bushings
Tokico Illumina 5-way adjustable shocks + back to stock springs

Mods still need to purchase/source:

MP3 ECU (already filled her up with 93 in preparation)
MSP/RB rear sway bar
MSP OEM exhaust
AUDIO! (Still need to figure out the whole plan for that)
Tires for 17" (deciding whether to shell out for Dunlop Z1 Star Spec or just do Kumho Ecsta LS)
Possibly some engine mount upgrades or inserts

Last edited:
welcome home! nice car oleg! this is what a car can look like that didn't live the last 9 yrs in the NE! looks like the CA sun fadded the rear bumper step thingy though...I have a nice looking one if you want to replace it? hows the mats? i have new ones if you need them. did you know the oem hood had a dent? let the mods begin!
oh ya, my car has only 20k more miles and looks like HELL!:'(

Last edited:
Mark, I'll take the bumper thing and I'm missing a passenger mat, so yeah I'll take the mats! Let me know how much you want.

I didn't catch the hood ding in the pictures.

Oh, also the car came w/ ghetto Wynstar Exocet front tires and worn Kumho ASX on the rears. Anyone know how much I could get for these on Craigs?

Last edited:
Oleg, I can send you my OEM Rear Sway as Phen is hooking me up with his AWR bar..let me know if you want it.

Woot! Super jelly of that undercarriage Oleg. Was just under my car last night and it's not pretty nor even comes close to looking as clean as yours. If you haven't found the MSP ECU yet, check the Protege f/s section for (IIRC) spicyorangemsp...I think he was the guy who was selling them and offered a 'core' refund if you send your stock ECU back to him to flash. If I still had my MSP axleback, you could have it and do you prefer the 03 (round) or 03.5 (oval) or doesn't really matter?

Last edited:
Woot! Super jelly of that undercarriage Oleg. Was just under my car last night and it's not pretty nor even comes close to looking as clean as yours. If you haven't found the MSP ECU yet, check the Protege f/s section for (IIRC) spicyorangemsp...I think he was the guy who was selling them and offered a 'core' refund if you send your stock ECU back to him to flash. If I still had my MSP axleback, you could have it and do you prefer the 03 (round) or 03.5 (oval) or doesn't really matter?
I need the MP3 ECU, I did get in touch with spicyorangemsp. Let's see hwat happens! I am not that concerned about the round or oval tips, they all sound the same, right?

OK, ordered Kumho Ecsta LE Sport tires. $390 shipped after rebate, can't complain. Way less than $170/pop star specs. Still supposed to be a really good summer tire, just not crazy grip that the Star Specs have. But it should be better resisting hydroplaning. Decided to go with 215/40/17.

ku_ecsta_le_spt_ci2_l.jpg

Changed the oil today, put in Mobil1 5W-30 High Mileage. s*** WAS OVERFILLED! Poured out 4.5 qts of oil, so about a quart or a tad more high. WTF. Hope that didn't do much damage. Must've been there for 400 miles max.

I need the MP3 ECU, I did get in touch with spicyorangemsp. Let's see hwat happens! I am not that concerned about the round or oval tips, they all sound the same, right?

My bad....I meant MP3. Hoping he can hook you up.

Last night, this was the stash of parts waiting: (missing a Mazdaspeed Motorsports box 'o parts)

7901524998_7e9355ae12_c.jpg

Overpaid for the labor, but was at a Mazda dealer today to have the car looked over mechanically and had them press in the bearings on the differential:

7901526854_cb2c2be81b_c.jpg

My stock leather shift boot is ripped. Any suggestions for shift boots/color scheme?

Last edited:
so, updates from sun?? sorry i couldn't come by...would have love to hang out and do some wrenching

Back