Turbohoses SMIC kit

Back in the day it was the s***, many people ran it. Its a great setup, but definately not cheap. If you want to go with an SMIC, I would recommend the CustomMSP/ETS smic and the Corksport pipes to save some $$$.

Has anyone purchased the Turbohoses SMIC/pipe kit, and/or have any idea if it's a good setup?

I have them and bought my set back in the day from S t r e e t U n i t. I like the fact that they are very high quality polished pipes, couplers and clamps. Unlike the lower quality multiple pipe sectioned options available with way too many couplers for my taste. I use them with a CustomMSP smic and have no complaint with either even after all of these years.

Bump to get more replies.

I'm really interested in hearing more input on the SMIC, from the guys that actually use aftermarket SMIC. What's your experience with heatsoak and what boost level were you running? I've seen tons of comments about heatsoak from the FMIC guys so lets give some room for the SMIC guys this time. What's your real life experience?

I'm particularly interested in the Turbohoses SMIC V1 and V2 but I'm interested in hearing about all brands too.

The Turbohoses SMIC was the first mod for my MSP back in 2005, and is a very good upgrade. I run 8 psi, and never notice the heat soak. I like how it improved my throttle response and allows me to downshift less in the slower turns as it breathes so much better than stock.

I also use a Steed Speed Ex Mani, 2.5" mid pipe (with high flow cat) a JDM Sam tuned Unichip and a Greddy Profec B. Its no drag racing monster (is any Protege??), but makes for a very fun daily driver.

Last edited:
The Turbohoses SMIC was the first mod for my MSP back in 2005, and is a very good upgrade. I run 8 psi, and never notice the heat soak. I like how it improved my throttle response and allows me to downshift less in the slower turns as it breathes so much better than stock.

I also use a Steed Speed Ex Mani, 2.5" mid pipe (with high flow cat) a JDM Sam tuned Unichip and a Greddy Profec B. Its no drag racing monster (is any Protege??), but makes for a very fun daily driver.

Cool .... in both senses. That sounds like the perfect tune for zipping through the Rockies and passing slower cars on the way (with confidence that you won't stall). Would you characterize it that way? Have you ever dyno'd it with the upgrades? How do you find the Unichip - does it resolve all the tuning problems with hesitation, rich air/fuel mixtures, etc. that the MSP is famous for? I also thought the Unichip has a boost controller built in so why use the Greddy? Sorry for the many questions but I don't see many answers for the SMIC. Thanks.

just occurred to me: why are you using a EBC if you're staying at stock boost?

Last edited:
In response to you considering theV1 or V2, Turbohoses told me the V2 is really designed for drag racing it; and that it moves so much air that it's been known to cause fuel shut off. So for the daily driver you dont want the V2.

Mine still hasnt come in yet, they said they should mail out next week. I'll update when I get them.

In response to you considering theV1 or V2, Turbohoses told me the V2 is really designed for drag racing it; and that it moves so much air that it's been known to cause fuel shut off. So for the daily driver you dont want the V2.

Mine still hasnt come in yet, they said they should mail out next week. I'll update when I get them.

All right! Would love to hear the ongoing story and experiences.

When I spoke to them, I got the impression that it was more of an issue with tuning - that I would need to get a SSAFC or something like that, not a new fuel pump or injectors. A new piggyback would not be a problem because I was planning on that anyway. Don't want to change injectors though.

Excuse my newbie question but does more air flow mean that the charge air is cooler? or that you're simply compressing more air, regardless of whether it is hot or cold air?

Lol I'm newbie-ish too, Im not very mechanical. But no, I dont believe more air would equate to cooler air. Just denser air is all. Ignition would be different as well.

I haven't driven a FMIC setup so I don't know for sure, but the piping on the SMIC is very short and the IC itself is smaller so there is less time required to pressurize the setup. The stock SMIC drops approximately 1-1.5 PSI (the inlet might be at 8psi but by the time the air travels trough the SMIC you only have 6.5psi), the stock SMIC is the European diesel intercooler and not specific to the MSP.

Never dyno'd my car but it feels much better!

The stock Unichip tune is better than Mazda's tune, but after getting tuned by Sam it was night and day difference. Its nice as the unit can advance and retard the timing, unlike the SS AFC. There is a model of the SSAFC that can control timing but it cannot advance timing, just reduce it.

I use the Greddy as the Unichip boost solenoid is known to spike, the greddy also helps the turbo spool faster. Without it I only run 7psi, I now run 8-8.5 depending which gear I am in. Its also nice as its a boost gauge and is easier to mount than a typical boost gauge. (mine is in the CD pocket below the radio)

THe cold pipe on my MSP is never hot, meaning the air is more dense (hot air is less dense). Combined with a reduced pressure drop you get more air and its more dense. Im also at 1100m elevation, you being at see level already have denser air.

Wow. So after 3 or so passes at full boost, would you be able to put your hand on the cold pipe?

Back