Weird fuel gauge readings

udayse

Hi,
I am starting to realize that different fuel pumps pump in different amounts of gas before the auto shut off valve kicks in to stop the overflow. The fuelly method of tracking gas mileage has this flaw in it.

This time, i was at a gas station where it put in more gas than usual, before the shut off valve kicked in. I usually get any anywhere from 38 miles to 58 miles before the first bar on the fuel gauge disappears. This time, I got 55 miles, but interestingly enough after a few miles, the bar that disappeared came back on again and it lasted till the 70 mile mark. I have never gotten 70 miles for the first bar before.

I am just a bit confused on how to track actual gas mileage on this car. When the low fuel indicator turns on, I can fill in about 12.3-12.5 gallons, but I think this is a 15.3 gallon tank. The range shows about 35 miles when the low fuel indicator is on.

It just bothers me that the stats are all over the place, but this bar disappearing and re-appearing without any fuel being added, has me more than just concerned.

Back