GI: protege5 Header

Well the Idea came from this GI thread for whoever is wondering you can see and get an Idea from here.

This is a GI thread only and if there is interest, I will get AMM Status.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123816776-GI-Pacemaker-Headers-(NA)

The plan is to offer a header for the protege5 either as close as possible or the same as the Pacemaker header or a different one that the shop can design for Us.

pacemaker one

100_1604.jpg

For anyone who is wondering here is the page from the shop im working with(and have dealt with before for parts for my previous vehicles)

http://noribilt.com/

I’m needing to see who is interested so you guys start making a list like on any other thread. With option as EGR Yes or no, ceramic coating? (This was mentioned by a member on the original gb thread), or any other options or ideas you guys might think of or want to I can ask the shop and go from there.

for price at first I mentioned them a design as the pacemaker header so they are tryign to match that price or close to with that header. If not maybe we do something different and more custom as mentioned on the original GB thread also and see price and if that would include a custom midpipe or bolt on to stock midpipe.

YES I ALREADY CONTACTED ANTOINE about this thread and the idea/purpose behind it in case it goes go well Ill update to a vendor status.

1. Ricop5 Egr Yes, Ceramic coating

Last edited:
Have you worked out the design yet?

I don't mean to be a downer but that link doesn't contain the measurements you guys need to make a well designed header. Going in blind does no one any good, you could wind up with a header that is just as bad as the OBX for twice the price.

Last edited:
Rico, I dont know if you have spent much time reading through the n/a hp race that LordWorm was a big contributor to, but from all the posts that I read through a long time ago he seemed to be extremely knowledgable. If he can find his design that he was talking about in the other GI thread for the Pacesetter header I think that would be the way to go. Even if it would require a custom midpipe for it to work I wouldnt let that be a deterant from using his design. How many people when upgrading the exhaust system end up replacing the stock midpape as well? If you were to get a hi-flow cat and had a custom midpipe made up it would probably be cheaper than buying one of the stock replacement midpipes that are already offered as an upgraded.

Just my thoughts on it

This shop can either do something Close to pacemaker or their own design with my car. Up to members If they want to pay for something custom plus a mid pipe..

I'm up for ideas and info...

I would prefer something that did not require a custom midpipe...even though I realize that is the best design, I'm more than happy to settle for a clone of the pacesetter. Anything is an improvement over the 4-1 OBX style that most of us have.

I would prefer something that did not require a custom midpipe...even though I realize that is the best design, I'm more than happy to settle for a clone of the pacesetter. Anything is an improvement over the 4-1 OBX style that most of us have.

Do you already have a different midpipe or are you still using your factory one? If your upgrading your header, how much do you really gain with the stock midpipe in place with the bends, small piping, and old cat?

Personally I'd rather go with something custom that is going to yield the most gains and then spend more money on a custom midpipe to fit. Either option for a header, Pacesetter replica or custom made, is going to be pricey, but if you go with either option then your midpipe should still be replaced to try and maximize the hp gains. Isn't that why us n/a guys spend so much money to get more power instead of going turbo?

i have a Mental Addiction Motorsports Catless Midpipe I havent put on yet could have them fit a header to that or do a full custom one.

20120810_080236.jpg

yea yea stole pic from the seller i got it from lol

You guys frustrate me.

You want a header that's tuned yet are unwilling to compromise anything to get a tuned header.

A tuned headers going to have a good collector design or at least a decent one, it will have long pipes that either merge 4-2-1 or will go straight to 4-1. The pipes will most likely be longer then the stock header meaning that a custom mid pip will be needed or the one you already have modified. There is no way around this other then to have a untuned header.

If you wish I can do up some calculations and work it out or you can go searching for Lord Worms. Alternatively see the original GB Thread:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-Pacemaker-Headers-(NA)&p=6022422#post6022422

Remember guys at the end of the day you don't get nothing for free, you pay for quality.

EDIT: The mid pipe *shouldn't* require much modification if any IMO but never know. If so the flange may just need to be shifted a little, hardly an expensive proposition.

Last edited:
You guys frustrate me.

You want a header that's tuned yet are unwilling to compromise anything to get a tuned header.

A tuned headers going to have a good collector design or at least a decent one, it will have long pipes that either merge 4-2-1 or will go straight to 4-1. The pipes will most likely be longer then the stock header meaning that a custom mid pip will be needed or the one you already have modified. There is no way around this other then to have a untuned header.

If you wish I can do up some calculations and work it out or you can go searching for Lord Worms. Alternatively see the original GB Thread:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-Pacemaker-Headers-(NA)&p=6022422#post6022422

Remember guys at the end of the day you don't get nothing for free, you pay for quality.

EDIT: The mid pipe *shouldn't* require much modification if any IMO but never know. If so the flange may just need to be shifted a little, hardly an expensive proposition.

Truth

Ice88, I complete agree. No point in paying top dollar for a custom header that is going to be inferior compared to an actual tuned header.

Rico you should talk to LordWorm about his design and try to get that priced then I would be interested. If its the Pacesetter design then I don't see the point.

Ice88, I complete agree. No point in paying top dollar for a custom header that is going to be inferior compared to an actual tuned header.

Rico you should talk to LordWorm about his design and try to get that priced then I would be interested. If its the Pacesetter design then I don't see the point.

Either I'll show his design or I'm going to make them build me a n/a build motor header with midpipe for my self with dynos since they have their own dyno and mayb present it to the forum later on. Don't seem like there is much interest on this right now or even a custom one..

Why not just get a 4-2-1 header for the MX-6 or Probe off eBay for $80 then have a custom mid-pipe? That's what I did. I just bought a cat w/ O2 bung, a piece of stainless steel pipe, a O2 sensor extension, and two flanges. It performs way better than the POS OBX I had. Since I put the cat in and moved the O2 sensor back, I don't have the SES either. For the EGR, I just used a gas line kit from the hardware store and put on an adapter.

Header $80
SS pipe $15
2 SS flanges $20
Gas line $20
adapter $18
Cat $50

Total $203

Well, I also bought a TIG welder and taught myself how to TIG weld, so that took a little more time and money. If I were to do it again, I would just modify MX-6/Probe header to fit the Protege EGR and then fab catless mid-pipes with an extended O2 bung that keeps the 2nd O2 sensor out of the flow.

Because its not tuned, sure its better then the OBX but a proper header will do wonders.

Dont quote me on it but i seem to recall about 16whp being made over the stock with teh AWR. I don't know if any other mods where done at the same time or whatever you'd have to google and research yourself. I honestly dont know overly much about the AWR as ive never seen on being in australia. If however you ask about an Autoexe header then I can help :)

Back