How well do the rain-sensing wipers work?

katmar

:
16 CX-5 GT and 13 CX-5 Touring AWD
I've never had rain-sensing wipers before, and I'm not sure how well they work? I think I read they REPLACE the usual Intermittant setting.... true?

Do you find that you miss the Intermittant option, or does the rain-sensing work well enough?

How sensitive is it?

And while I'm at it lol...

What is the antitheft perimeter alarm system? Is that the usual bump-the-car-and-it-beeps alarm thing?

And what is the auto on/off headlights? Is that when the lights turn off automatically when you turn off your car (if you forget and left them on), or is it when they automatically switch to low beams when traffic approaches?

I've never had rain-sensing wipers before, and I'm not sure how well they work? I think I read they REPLACE the usual Intermittant setting.... true?

Do you find that you miss the Intermittant option, or does the rain-sensing work well enough?

How sensitive is it?

And while I'm at it lol...

What is the antitheft perimeter alarm system? Is that the usual bump-the-car-and-it-beeps alarm thing?

And what is the auto on/off headlights? Is that when the lights turn off automatically when you turn off your car (if you forget and left them on), or is it when they automatically switch to low beams when traffic approaches?

Auto-light control
When the headlight switch is in the auto position and the ignition is switched ON, the
light sensor senses the surrounding lightness or darkness and automatically turns the
headlights, other exterior lights and dashboard illumination on or off .

Auto-wiper control
When the wiper lever is in the auto
position, the rain sensor senses the
amount of rainfall on the windshield and
turns the wipers on or off automatically
(off―intermittent―low speed―high
speed).
The sensitivity of the rain sensor can be
adjusted by turning the switch on the
wiper lever.
From the center position (normal), rotate
the switch downward for higher
sensitivity (faster response) or rotate it
upward for less sensitivity (slower
response).

Theft-Deterrent System
If the theft deterrent system detects an
inappropriate entry into the vehicle, which
could result in the vehicle or its contents
being stolen, the alarm alerts the
surrounding area of an abnormality by
sounding the horn and flashing the hazard
warning lights.
The system will not function unless it's
properly armed. So when you leave the
vehicle, follow the arming procedure
correctly.
Operation
System triggering conditions
The horn sounds intermittently and the
hazard warning lights flash for about 30
seconds when the system is triggered by
any one of the following:
l Unlocking a door with the door lock
switch or an inside door-lock knob.
l Forcing open a door, the hood or the
liftgate.
l Opening the hood by operating the
hood release handle.
l Switching the ignition ON without
using the push button start.
If the system is triggered again, the lights
and horn will activate until the driver's
door or the liftgate is unlocked with the
auxiliary key or with the transmitter.
(With advanced key)
The lights and horn can also be
deactivated by pressing the request switch
on a door.

Last edited:
You can turn the auto wiper mode off from the center panel LCD screen. .When you do this the wipers go to manual and you can use them in intermittent mode. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... I think I read this tip on this forum a while back.

Oh, and I like the rain sensing wipers. Works fine for me. I have the sensitivity setting at about the halfway point.

You can turn the auto wiper mode off from the center panel LCD screen. .When you do this the wipers go to manual and you can use them in intermittent mode. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... I think I read this tip on this forum a while back.
You are correct..
Auto-wiper control The auto-wiper control function can be changed
On
(Rain Sensing)
Off (Intermittent)

Thank you all! I didn't realize you could turn the rain-sensing off, that's pretty cool. Nice to have a choice!

And I didn't realize that's what the auto on/off lights did... that's pretty neat too :)

I'm pretty happy with them. In fact, we had rain yesterday afternoon. I hadn't pulled out of the garage more than a foot before they began wiping.
Pretty fast acting, IMHO, and also respond well to intensity.

All of you who live in snow country just remember to turn them off when you park your truck.
In my previous Speed3 i forgot them a few time and when you get back in your ride if the windshield is covered with snow, or worst freezing rain, there is a big risk of burning the motor.

Back