Painting roof but What about trim removal ?

TimCosmo

:
Mazda Eunos Cosmo 13b (1991)
Hi,

My red Cosmo has had it's roof painted black by a previous owner and I want to go red again. Plus, there is a bit of corrosion in front corner of the roof.

So, I wonder if anyone knows if the chrome effect & black gutter / windscreen trims can come off without damage ?

I notice several of your Cosmos have new paint or colour change, so did everyone mask or remove the trims ?

Thanks for any advice.

Tim

Not wishing to hijack, I'd be interested in this too as the rubber in/around the roof on mine has a split in it and I'd like to replace if I can.

Ant

Whatever you do do not remove the black plastic trim on the side of the windscreen. You will break it 100%.
If i remember correctly the metal window trims are abit of apin to take off. there is also a screw at the top corner of the windscreen under the black plastic. u MAY be able to get this screw off without taking off the plastic trim. then all the door rubbers etc will have to come off too.
Go to http://www.eunos.com.au/ download all the cosmo manuals, there should be a diagram that will help with dissambly.

Hi Tim, two examples over here have just been repainted. I agree with Rod, the plastic uprights are very fragile, but these two examples both removed them successfully to repaint under them!
it's very common for them to break if someone leans on them etc. They glue up and paint up fine. Nick got his painted up befor he put them back on. I'm surprised someone hasn't had made som up from carbon fibre by now. Nick has photos of how they come off and Danny's car has some pics with links on my Facebook page.

Howard James, Newcastle Australia. Current profile pic is of a country pub surrounded by Cosmo's :)

Kramer

Thanks all.
What about the chrome look gutter (door sides) and winscreen top strips ?

Tim, I'll get Mr Foox (Nick) who just had his car painted in touch with you. He's on Skype too and Facebook. He dismantle and reassembled himself a week ago. His car is the cherry red one in the Walcha cruise pictures. He put it back together and drove it 800 Klms! And yes - he got stone chips and a windscreen star!

Kramer

On a side note...

I'm surprised someone hasn't had made som up from carbon fibre by now.

Kramer

Carbon Fiber Trim on the sides of the windshield...Cool idea, I have been thinking of reducing the amount of plastic used on the Cosmo and replacing it with lighter higher-grade materials...I'm adding this to my potential upgrade list...Thanks! (thumb)

IMAG0024.jpgIMAG0018.jpg
these seem to be the only photos i am able to up load at this time tim. the windscreen side trims did require a big bravery pill to remove. i wasn't keen on removing them, but my paint guy talked me around. i believe there is some screw at the base then its just use's little clips up the sides, with the right tool these came off fine.
as for the side trims, as mentioned there is a number of small screw's under the rubber which just pulls off over the top, but is mounted to the metal trim at each end.
its hard to see in the side shot pic but behind the rear quarter window the trim is bolted on, along with the trim strip on the rear pillar. you will need to remove the rear seats and interior trim to reach the nuts holding these on. hope this helps and best of luck

Back