How bad is the rubbing? MSP rims w/Tein S-techs & Tokico Blues & 215/45/17 tires

Hank3

Asian Persuasion <><
Contributor
:
2010 Mazda5 GT
How bad is the rubbing? MSP rims w/Tein S-techs & Tokico Blues & 215/45/17 tires

Just got a set of MSP rims. I have a set of Tein S-techs and Tokico Blues waiting to be installed. All I need are tires. Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct is having their periodic $100 Prepaid Visa rebate this upcoming Labor Day weekend. I'd like to get 215/40/17, but they are limited in their selection. 215/45/17 seems to be the size they have a lot good selection of. And they're cheaper :)

So how bad is the rubbing? Is it only on u-turns? And when there are passengers in the back? Would love to get some feedback from y'all.

im running the msp wheels and 215/45/17
but im lowered 2 inches so your experience may vary mildly
i did have a minor amount of rubbing when turning hard and fast and a little on u-turns
about an hour with a fender roller fixed ALL fender rubbing and i heated up the inside of the front plastic covers and kinda pushed them in so it wouldnt rub during u-turns
i now have ZERO rubbing no matter how loaded i have the car.
(but if you get 12mm spacers you will rub in the rear on big dips)

You mean the tire rubbing on the guard? This can happen, especially when backing out down a steep drive-way onto the road, or perhaps when cornering. In all cases it's not something you would leave alone. Either stiffen up the springs and or shock absorbers [ideally spring-rates should match the shock-absorbers] so the car's trim [how it sits parked] does not change enough to cause rubbing.

One final way is to raise the car,..but making the car stiffer [ ie a greater force is required to depress the suspension] is a better final result.

JJ

You should be fine but I would advise going with 205 if you can there's a much larger selection of better tires

You should be fine but I would advise going with 205 if you can there's a much larger selection of better tires

205/40/17 or 205/45/17? I've read that 205/40/17 is like rubber bands and would be a pretty rough ride.

205/40/17 or 205/45/17? I've read that 205/40/17 is like rubber bands and would be a pretty rough ride.

Bumps and potholes are a bi+++ with 205/40/17. I think that is why I was having problems with my sway bar's breaking.

Large selection of tires though for pennies especially with those discounts from discount tire.
Looked over this because I was interested in the 215 something's, but will go with 205/40's again because of the price. I like the neo gens I paid $250 shipped for!

if i could do it again i would do 205 45

Because of the rubbing? Or aesthetically?

Bumps and potholes are a bi+++ with 205/40/17. I think that is why I was having problems with my sway bar's breaking.

Large selection of tires though for pennies especially with those discounts from discount tire.
Looked over this because I was interested in the 215 something's, but will go with 205/40's again because of the price. I like the neo gens I paid $250 shipped for!

I'm planning on purchasing from Discount Tire Direct since it's free shipping and no tax. Can get a friend to mount all four tires for $20. Thing is DTD doesn't have many 205/45/17 for under $100. I don't really want to go 205/40/17.

Are you wanting to run spacers to get the rims more flush with the fenders?

I was looking at getting the mazdaspeed rims they say they have a 55 offset is this what you guys have ? Do I need to run spacers for use or just if I want to change the look of the tire to the fenders ?

Thanks

You're correct that the offset is +55. Spacers are not required unless you're going for a desired flush look as JiggaBro mentioned.

Last edited:
no running rubbing issues what so ever other then on really big high speed dips in the road with people in the rear. I'm runnign 215/45/17 lowered on Tein S-tech speings which is rougly 2" in the front and 1.5" in the rear.

I'm lowered 2" in the rear. No rubbing. And I have 7mm spacers back there. Even when rear end is loaded and car is fully tucknig, no rubbing.

no running rubbing issues what so ever other then on really big high speed dips in the road with people in the rear. I'm runnign 215/45/17 lowered on Tein S-tech speings which is rougly 2" in the front and 1.5" in the rear.

I'm lowered 2" in the rear. No rubbing. And I have 7mm spacers back there. Even when rear end is loaded and car is fully tucknig, no rubbing.

What tires are you guys running - brand and model?

What tires are you guys running - brand and model?

I made that post not realising that I was in the P5 section and my car is a MSP. However I've had at least maybe 6 sets of tires on my car with no issue at that tire size. Currently my tires are Sunny tires. Its what I could swing at the time and it was better then bald tires. lol

I made that post not realising that I was in the P5 section and my car is a MSP. However I've had at least maybe 6 sets of tires on my car with no issue at that tire size. Currently my tires are Sunny tires. Its what I could swing at the time and it was better then bald tires. lol

OK thanks. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm running 215/45/17 and my rear rubs and bumps the rear fenders when i hit hard bumps or turn hard. I'm quite sad tbh. Stagg struts with tien s techs springs.

Back