OEM front pads after 46K original miles

:
2008 Mazda5 GT
Do you see something really wrong here?.. Part my bad but the other is just bad.

img0989h.jpg

By silentnoise713 at 2012-08-23

EDIT: REAR pads @ 36K
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123809265-How-my-rear-pads-look-at-36-5K&highlight=

Last edited:
Do you see something really wrong here?.. Part my bad but the other is just bad.

img0989h.jpg

By silentnoise713 at 2012-08-23

Wow that does not seem good, looks like you might be close to metal or already metal. Are the rotors getting beat up? How are your rear pads? The uneven wear is going to be common as the piston produces more braking force.

Might want to consider this.. You can use "gozoomzoom" to save 5%

Mazda 2008-2009 5 Brake Kit

Yeah, there is a thin hair’s depth left! My bad for waiting this long to replace them but I plan on junking the rotors anyway and just couldn’t find time to do them any sooner. I understand and accept that the inner pad will have more wear due to the piston forces but the difference between the inner and outer pad is not acceptable. Of course, the factory slider pins were completely dried out and does not travel smoothly –if at all. The really bad part is I knew the pads needed changing soon b/c I can feel the fade and pressure just did not feel right. I was spot checking the ‘visible’ outer pad by looking through the rim to gauge how much meat is left. I did not expect such uneven wear on the inner pad. Also, my brakes were quite the whole time and I was expecting to hear some squeal from the brake pad indicators. Do OE pads have wear indicators?

IMHO, you can’t rely on just looking at the outer pad to gauge how much life is left AND I recommend re-greasing the slide pins (every year or two) until time to replace your pads. At this point, replace the slider pin rubber channels along with new pads and a good quality grease.

Last edited:
Time to upgrade to Mazdaspeed calipers and rotors. :D It's brake maintenance time on the wife's 5, and I just might make the jump myself.

Phunky, do Mazdaspeed calipers and rotors just bolt up to the OEM hub and knuckle of our MZ5s? Or is there some modifications that need to take place?

Time to upgrade to Mazdaspeed calipers and rotors. :D It's brake maintenance time on the wife's 5, and I just might make the jump myself.
You know you are already checking ebay and craigslist! :D It really is very easy to do but do it right the first time (rebuild caliper, proper hub cleaning, and quality rotors and pads). I am the opposite of you. I'm waiting for the OE shocks to blow so I can get some low :D

Phunky, do Mazdaspeed calipers and rotors just bolt up to the OEM hub and knuckle of our MZ5s? Or is there some modifications that need to take place?
The caliper bracket bolts pass through the knuckle ‘ears’ and mounts to the caliper brackets. Yes, you (Mz5) can reuse the existing bolts on MS3 caliper brackets.

Last edited:

Not sure- but I think they swap directly on... have to read some of the old threads. But I remember it seemed easy.

You know you are already checking ebay and craigslist! :D It really is very easy to do but do it right the first time (rebuild caliper, proper hub cleaning, and quality rotors and pads). I am the opposite of you. I'm waiting for the OE shocks to blow so I can get some low :D

The caliper bracket bolts pass through the knuckle ‘ears’ and mounts to the caliper brackets. Yes, you (Mz5) can reuse the existing bolts on MS3 caliper brackets.

Nah, considering the cost of a remanufactured caliper from the auto parts store, it would be cheaper for me to just pick up a "new" set from AutoZone or something instead of rebuilding a junkyard set. Rotors and pads would go through a hookup- likely the same guy I bought these from:

stoptech_s2k_01.JPG

s2k_stoptech_tsw_08.JPG

:D :D :D :D :D

As far as shocks go, if you're looking for a similar drop to what I have, I'd recommend just getting the H&R springs unless you really want the adjustability and super slammed ride height. I'm about to go outside and raise the rear of the wife's 5 a half inch since the springs settled some more- an even "perfect gap" that's uniform all the way around the tire pretty much matches the H&R's drop level out of the box. I DO like my super stiff springs and adjustable dampers though!

Went back to take a good look through at the OE Mz5 brake stuff that came off. You may be aware of this already but ALL of our braking components are supplied by ATE! Calipers, brackets, boots, rubber boots for slider pins, brake pads, even the bleeder cap -everything. :)

Also, the wear on both rears pads are even. only the front has uneven wear.

Last edited:
So looking for some new slider pins, any recommendations? Also what brake fluid would be good? Like to upgrade that too.

So looking for some new slider pins, any recommendations? Also what brake fluid would be good? Like to upgrade that too.
AFAIK, only stock replacements are available as this is unique to the caliper (ATE). IMO, you don't need to replace the pins, just clean them up really good. I used an aluminum wheel polish and got them to shine like new and I’m sure there are other ways to clean it. Also, if you suspect the pins are indeed frozen, I HIGHLY recommend you replace the channel boots. They get deformed and is a serviceable part (a few bucks). Just pull them out with plyers and push/tuck new ones in with a flat head (after you've soaked them in fluid for a little bit). Make sure it is seated properly by confirming you can spin them in place.

For fluid, I’ve only used and will continue to stick with Castrol LMA (DOT 3 and 4). Others like the more performance oriented fluid like ATE/Motul (DOT 4) but I understand they are more hygroscopic and requires more frequent maintenance. I don’t want that in a DD. JMHO. I’d like to hear other suggestions too.

Last edited:
Back