Camp-Bell: "Big Bird" PR5 Build Thread

What next?

• Total voters

Camp-Bell

:
Mazda Protege 5
My introduction to serious posting lol! Yah! Tell ya a little about myself; I'm an apprentice Auto Technician living in Edmonton, AB working at Toyota.

So I'm building up an N/A Yellow PR5 on a budget. These cars are awesome, I've never owned a sportier 4cylinder vehicle thus I've decided to mod/restore my PR5 to near new status or as much as possible depending on the budget.

Mods in progress: AWR F+R 88 duro mounts
AWR Trans + Side mount inserts 88 duro
OBX header
OBX cat-back
F1 racing stage 3 6-puck copper-"miba" clutch
New OEM flywheel
Pilot+Release bearing

Will update with pics of progress tommorow, hopefully will have completed clutch and flywheel tomorrow. Exhaust will be Friday. PSYCHED!

Thanks for the "winner winner chicken dinner!" @Midnight

Mounts are done already haha its so stiff hahaha, clutch/flywheel should go quick because I've pulled another transmission already.

Havent got a chance to drive it yet, just finished with them today. I got a piece of shop towel stuck in one of the fuel lines in front of the rear mount while i was trying to keep sh*t out. Its the fuel rail line I'm hoping i can disconnect it higher up and start it up tomorrow to free up the paper towel :s (I hope it comes out clean)

That rear mount was such a b**** I spent 3 hours trying to get the harness shroud off. I ended up using a 36inch Dominator Pry Bar and a hammer beating on it through wheel well near tie-rod end and from above to break the plastic around the bottom nut. So now its re-attached but only with one 10mm nut (like it should have been done from the factory)

Last edited:
Hello there and I voted for struts/coilovers unless of course you are need of replacing the bearings/front pads & rotors for obvious safety reasons.

So I got caught with pants down with the mother of all thunderstorms, got I need a garage. The trans is out and very exposed :s

You'll regret that clutch the f1 stage ones are fine but the stage 3 will only last 3-5k miles if that some don't even survive break in. The pads like to desperate from the disk. Plus there's no need for a stage 3 when going na total overkill there

Na the cars are slow my vote is for coilovers it's where They shine

campbell you should rent a place to work on the car, another guy on here from canada did it on his blue P5 (JT). pretty good bang for buck storage space.

XD time to wrap up the tranny.

not that cheap of an option sometimes, my car sleeps outside from now on and does not bother me at all its a car its been designed to get wet..

also i vote make it handle better before faster, the handling in these cars is whats makes them enjoyable

You'll regret that clutch the f1 stage ones are fine but the stage 3 will only last 3-5k miles if that some don't even survive break in. The pads like to desperate from the disk. Plus there's no need for a stage 3 when going na total overkill there

Time will tell I guess, they have a 1 year warranty and I'm using a new flywheel.

a7e78f79.jpg

They won't cover it unless you provide them with proof that an ase certified mechanic installed it

Welcome. We should hook up sometime soon. I'll be moving away in the middle of September.

there's no need for a stage 3 when going na total overkill there

Na the cars are slow my vote is for coilovers it's where They shine

+1

Are you pulling the whole motor to swap tranny's or just bracing the motor with the hoist?

Welcome. We should hook up sometime soon. I'll be moving away in the middle of September.

Yeah man, shot me a text

Are you pulling the whole motor to swap tranny's or just bracing the motor with the hoist?

Just bracing the motor from above with the engine hoist to hold it in the exact position it was in so that the tranny lines up nice, was that a +1 for my overkill stage 3 or coilovers should be next?

Ahhh Houston we have a problem. I disconnected my clutch slave when I pulled the trans, buttoned it up and I have no clutch pressure. I dont know how to bleed this system. ANYBODY please.

There is a little nipple near the o2 sensors clips are. You have to bleed it from there. I will try to find a pic to assist you.

Last edited:
Had to bleed the line 17 times lol to get clutch feel back. So 88 duros are alright might go for some 70 duros, but i think the exhaust is a bit much. I might sell the cat back down the road theres alot of percussion vibration when on the gas. The F1 stage 3 engages around 1500rpm with
minimal effort.

For now... I would set some money aside for a better clutch. Of course your pretty much stock so it might make it a year

Back