Apply Leather Dressing to Seats

jjhgb

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD
I've tried putting some Meguiar's leather conditioner to the seats. I followed the directions, putting the cream on a clean cloth and then applying it to the leather seats. It seems to have filled many of the breathing holes in the leather in several places. Anyone have a better way?

I used to have the same problem. I switched from Meguiar's cream to its leather wipes instead. Smells good; no filled-up holes on the leather, and eazy peezy :)

I'm no expert. I have always bought Lexol products for leather saddles from a local tack shop. Using these products the leather on my 1999 Volvo looked nearly new when I sold her last week. This had solid leather seats. My '01 Miata had the original perforated leather in very poor shape when I bought her in '09; the upholstery was hopeless so I bought new solid leather upholstery from Leatherseats.com in '10 and removed the seats, and replaced the upholstery. I have always applied leather conditioner by pouring it onto my hands and then working it into the leather with my fingers. The lanolin is good for the skin anyway.

I did a leather treatment on the CX-5 today using this technique. For the non-perforated portions I was more liberal in application. For the perforated sections I used less, rubbed my hands together first to make a VERY thin coating on the skin, and then worked this into the leather. This worked without any build-up in the pores. Having completed all the upholstery, then buff smooth with a clean cloth. This approach has been very successful on non-perforated leather and I hope this modification to the process will be sufficient.

Brian

Ok, I bought some of those too. I'll have to work the excess cream out of the perforations some how (perhaps with a toothpick?). Thanks.

Back