First CX-5 Field Trip

rdscx5

:
Mazda CX 5 Touring
Well my son just came back from Afghanistan with a Marine advisory squad. I live about six and a half hours away. So my wife and I decided to make the trip to greet him at his homecoming at Camp lejeune. First the not so good. Not more than a few miles up the Interstate my poor CX-5 takes a punch on the right passenger side with a road alligator. It scuffs my hood, windshield, rips off the passenger side mirror, dents the front passenger door, rear passenger door and dings the rear passenger quarter panel.(pissed) Now for the not so bad. Despite the five years it took off of my wife and I's life to be hit by a meteor out of the clear blue sky, no one was hurt. The vehicle preformed spectacularly. Which leads me to this. Not only did we get great gas millage, but had no problems with merging or keeping with Interstate traffic or passing on secondary roads when necessary. I also was able to continue on to see my son arrive. The one thing I will tell you. Should you lose a side mirror for whatever reason the BSM won't work. BTW $1400.00 damage. At least I have good insurance and lower deductible.

Last edited:
OH NO!!!! I am sorry man!!!

Please post pics of the carnage. My first time hearing about a road alligator... (tire carcass?)

First time I've heard that term. Sorry to hear about that incident.

I drove a tractor trailor for about ten years. Thats what a lot of us called discarded tread recaps. If you see one laying arc up they look like alligators from the vantage point of a rig. I'll try and get some pictures up. Thanks for everyones sentiment.

I thought you were driving through FL and actually hit an alligator. I was picturing an alligator flipping all down the side of your car. LOL

Those things are pretty dangerous, even worse is the guys here in Texas who drive along the highway picking up the pieces, they have to time it just right to avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic.

But I am getting off topic, glad to hear that you and the wife weren't injured, and the good news is the damage wasn't more.

Thankfully no one was hurt and I'm sure it was a happy homecoming knowing that your son is back stateside.

Wow, since this was August 2012 original posting, I hope the trip and homecoming went well.

Back