Bad alternator?

us3r

Car won't start after a few days after fully charging the battery. Instrument panel lights dim when window button is pressed. The brake, abs, air bag light are on when the battery is very low. It won't start again when those lights are on. Car almost dies when i turn on the a/c. This is when brake, abs, air bag light are on. chirp sound is heard after a cold start. Could be the alternator bearings or belt. The battery light has never come on. Only comes on when in the "ON" position. Battery terminal cables have the rust colour (reddish/brown). Battery was tested and passed.

The battery voltage with the car off is around 12.xx and with the car running 14.xx. This was 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately my multimeter has been acting funny. The voltage keeps increasing when I test the battery (jumps from 12.xx, 14.xx, 15.xx, 16.xx). It doesn't stay at a constant number. Same with the car running.

video of the sound

Last edited:
Do you have a multimeter? You can pick up a cheap one and it will at least tell you if your battery is getting charged by the alternator.

Do you have a multimeter? You can pick up a cheap one and it will at least tell you if your battery is getting charged by the alternator.

Yes I do. The battery voltage with the car off is around 12.xx and with the car running 14.xx. This was 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately my multimeter has been acting funny as of late. The voltage keeps increasing when I test the battery (jumps from 12.xx, 14.xx, 15.xx, 16.xx). It doesn't stay at a constant number. Same with the car running.

+1 on cleaning terminals bad ground will do this

Get another multimeter and test it I think autozone rents them

I did the water spray test right after the cold start. The chirp went away temporarily after spraying the belt.

Is it the stock alternator? Also clean your battery terminals while you're at it

I'm not sure if it is stock. The battery terminals have the usual rust colour. I will clean it first thing tomorrow.

+1 on cleaning terminals bad ground will do this

Get another multimeter and test it I think autozone rents them

No autozone in canada. I might buy another one.

Or borrow one from somebody. If its not reading right then you don't know for sure what the voltage is

I cleaned off most of the corrosion on the wires and terminals. I did a battery load test on a 6 year old interstate battery by attaching the multimeter and having someone else start the car. The battery was fine since and as the voltage was above 9 when the car was cranking. I also turned on the a/c, headlights, interior lights. The rpm increased by 100-200. The voltage also increased as the gas pedal was being slightly pressed. However any time I press the window button (when closed) the interior panel dims. Why is that?

Because its just a lil 4 cyl with small alt. mine does it to. You can do a grounding kit to help if your tht worried

I'm starting to think it's the alternator. Although my positive battery terminal won't stay in place now.

Last edited:
Stupid idea but I think the power antenna and amp on wires are causing the battery to drain since I haven't installed the sub and amp yet.

Also iirc, the alternator belt is 3pkxxx (3 ribs?). I don't know the brand but it is made in mexico. It looks brand new. Could it be the belt?

How do I tighten the alternator belt? Is it the 12mm bolt on the passenger side of the alternator?

Last edited:
My alternator belt has a rip at the edge of the belt. Most likely reason of the chirping and rubber smell. Seems like it is misaligned and over tightened. I'm having trouble loosening the belt tension.

I removed the 2 bolts but no luck. (bolt A and C). What else do I have to remove in order to loosen the belt tension a little?
42050_maz2_g0067.gif

I removed both belts. The belts have no cracks although the alternator belt has a small rip at the edge. The belts aren't soft as the new ones I got. There is a low sound when i spin the alternator pulley. Alternator bearings are shot?

Last edited:
belts changed. The noise is still there but for only 5 seconds. car voltage is 12.35 when the car is in idle. alternator is toast. What do you think of junk yard alternators? why is the battery light not on? it's not burnt.

Last edited:
I replaced the alternator (w/o going under the car :)) with a reman. Battery was charged as well. Everything looks fine except the instrument panel. It is dimming still when you press the window button. I did the alternator test by turning on a/c, high beams, fogs, dome, etc., and the voltage was 14v-15v. I'm assuming it's a bad positive terminal which I plan on replacing soon.

Why does it dim when window buttons are pressed?

Last edited:
I replaced the alternator (w/o going under the car :)) with a reman. Battery was charged as well. Everything looks fine except the instrument panel. It is dimming still when you press the window button. I did the alternator test by turning on a/c, high beams, fogs, dome, etc., and the voltage was 14v-15v. I'm assuming it's a bad positive terminal which I plan on replacing soon.

Why does it dim when window buttons are pressed?

Because the wiring in these cars are barely adequate. The other day when I was fixing some speaker woes, I noticed how small gauge of wire they used even for the speakers.. At least it's not your high-beams and low beams dimming when you accelerate... still trying to figure out how that's possible.

Back