What type of Trans fluid should I use (manual trans)

Tom_Mazda2

:
2011 Mazda2, Touring, 5spd MT
It's almost that time to do a transmission fluid change on my 2011 Mazda2 with a manual transmission.

So what type of manual transmission fluid do you all recommend? I was thinking about going with Royal Purple. Also does the manual transmission have a filter? And how do I add oil to the manual trans? I can't even find a dipstick anywhere. (although I haven't looked thoroughly yet)

Possibly Mazda OEM fluid is the best for a Mazda? Seriously. I come from Honda's and there was a lot of Black Magic. When the dust settled, the OEM fluid was usually the best. Honda engineers had spec'd the best fluid for their tranny's. Although heavily worn transmissions usually benefitted from a different fluid (thicker?).

There is usually no dipstick on a manual transmission. There is a "bolt" on the side of the transmission that is the 'filler' hole plug. On my Honda's (not sure if this works on the M2) I usually refilled through a vent hole that was in the top of the transmission using a funnel and a tube to the vent hole. I put in fluid until the fluid level was up to and started to come out through the 'filler' hole. That was much easier than trying to put in fluid through the filler hole.

Keep us posted. How many miles?

John

Last edited:
Possibly Mazda OEM fluid is the best for a Mazda? Seriously. I come from Honda's and there was a lot of Black Magic. When the dust settled, the OEM fluid was usually the best. Honda engineers had spec'd the best fluid for their tranny's. Although heavily worn transmissions usually benefitted from a different fluid (thicker?).

There is usually no dipstick on a manual transmission. There is a "bolt" on the side of the transmission that is the 'filler' hole plug. On my Honda's (not sure if this works on the M2) I usually refilled through a vent hole that was in the top of the transmission using a funnel and a tube to the vent hole. I put in fluid until the fluid level was up to and started to come out through the 'filler' hole. That was much easier than trying to put in fluid through the filler hole.

Keep us posted. How many miles?

John

Right now the car has 10,300 miles and a track day. I'm going to change the transmission fluid around 15,000 miles and I'll probably do the coolant at that time too.

Back