Electric Power Steering Swap

:
MSP turbo V6
Checking to see if anyone has done this on a msp or protege. Looking at getting a second gen MR2 electric power steering kit. Thinking it might be possible to use the wheel sensors and interfacing it for varying pressure based on speed with pwm. Reason I'm going this route is the clearance between the power steering pump and frame is none.almost drags. Any info would be great! Thanks

Last edited:
Honestly just do a ps delete. Iirc the msp had the stiffer steering column like the mp3 so you would want to get a regular protege steering column cause it's a b**** to drive it without. But I've driven a lot of cars without power steering and the only time you notice is at a dead stop. Under more intense driving it's a lot easier to control without it.

Don't have it right now. Its a pain to get back behind my house in the garage....need it for that

Because you have the stiffer steering ratio get a regular protgs column and itl be easier. If you know anybody with a Honda most of them delete the ps and are still easy to drive

Ok looked on eBay a little. Will my clock spring,airbag, and steering wheel fit the other column. I am assuming i need floor shift also...

Grr the one i bought looks like it came from a mp5, has rear wiper Control. I still don't see where the reduction would come from. Are you sure the rack doesn't need to be replaced. The column is a straight shoot to a knuckle and then spline to a d shaped rod. Any one have pics of this swap

I'll have to double check

The wiper control stock is interchangeable

Most people delete power steering to have firmer more controlled steering msp already has this with the stiffer steering... Not many people have done kl swaps on the msp either and ps is usually deleted when doing the swap.

I hate to tell you this, but buying another column did absolutely nothing to make your steering easier. I have blown apart a couple of columns, and there is nothing inside that tube other than the collapsable section.

What you need to do is take your steering rack out and remove the seal on the steering saft. Keep in mind that once this is done, it can not be undone. If you do not want to go this route then you can loop the fluid lines on the rack. This will help a little but not to the extent you are looking for. Put the column back on ebay and sell it.

Back