A few issues and questions for the pro5 enthusiasts

204vividPro5

:
2002 Mazda pro5
I recently bought a 2002 Mazda protege 5 with the 2.0 :) I'm not new to turning wrenches or to the modding scene but I am new to owning a Mazda...a little different than my vw's and Hondas. I have been having a issues when driving, ill be cruising and it will at random times sputter and lack alot of power, i have replaced the upper o2 sensor, and replaced the spark plugs with NGK v power plugs, replaced all visible vacuum lines, cleaned all electrically connectors with CRC QD electric cleaner, and I thought it helped but still the problem persists but no where near as much when I first bought. A little exta info is I have headers, cold air intake, and straight back exhaust with no resonators and CAT removed with aftermarket muffler. I have had recent codes thrown p0300, p0421, p0462, and a emissions codes as well. I need some help looking for a answer. I know p0300 has so many different symptoms

I swear we need to make a New MP5 Owner area that explains what to change out when buying this car. Cause this has to be the fifth or sixth new member that has had this problem in the last 2 months.

Also 204, as said before try replacing your coils. When you get a chance clean out the EGR valve also.

Ya I was gonna remove my egr and clean it up it's in a crazy awkward place lol. I will go to napa and pick up new coil packs. And go from there, thanks for the replies.

Another question is with my air conditioning....it only works on 1 and flickers off and on in 4th and doesn't work in 2 or 3 speeds...I was thinking maybe a resistor but not 100% sure where it's located.

I also have a afr gauge and a electric oil pressure gauge whats a good feed to go off of in the p5's

How's your fuel pump doing?

(This is a bit of an obsession with me right now because my wife's about 600 miles away in a van with a dodgy pump, and the new one's waiting here at home.)

I think my fuel pump is doing alright any way of testing it. Before I bought the car and it was parked for 3 years. In some ways I feel it is a ignition problem though because 98% of the time it's running fine

before anything check your intake tube and make sure its not cracked where the accordion looking section is

I do have my own code reader..The stock intake was replaced with a aftermarket cold air intake thinking it was gonna fix the problem but that had been ruled out. I'm gonna try finding a non fouler for my header see if that helps.

Just another question does it matter what o2 sensor I hook my air fuel ratio gauge into?

I do have my own code reader..The stock intake was replaced with a aftermarket cold air intake thinking it was gonna fix the problem but that had been ruled out. I'm gonna try finding a non fouler for my header see if that helps.

Just another question does it matter what o2 sensor I hook my air fuel ratio gauge into?

O_O yes.

if its a narrow band gauge, then it doesn't matter. narrow band gauge is for light-show. connected to the front sensor, they really only tell you when you're running open or closed loop.

Do coils and wires if you haven't. Also, the non fouler, be sure to put it on the second O2 sensor near the outlet of the header. Probably wouldn't hurt to clean your MAF either

if its a wide band gauge, then it needs its own sensor. narrow band gauges can be tied into the stock sensors. which gauge is it?

I will take a picture of the gauge and post, and maybe find a model #...would the sparkplug non fouler work with the o2 sensor or is there a specific non fouler for the o2. Should I get one for each o2 sensor? I will be replacing my coil packs tomorrow and I'll see if the sputter continues

Back