VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: How-to: Permanently fix the "no A/C on fan speed 2/3" problem

Donated: $8.08

'02 P5

Quote Originally Posted by kdsmith7 View Post
    Is anybody in the Philadelphia area interested in performing this fix on my 2003 Protege for $200??

My wife has had enough of the AC only working intermittently and I'm going to have to move on from my beloved Mazda if I cannot get it fixed. I was able to pull out the radio and start poking around, but I'm really not sure what I'm doing so I didn't get much further than that.

Please let me know if interested!!
    $200!? Jeez. I thought this guide would be detailed enough for nearly anybody to do.
    If you still have no idea how to do it, why not buy what's needed (listed) and take it to a shop and have them do it for a mere fraction of the price? Just show them this guide.

Registered Member

protege5

Quote Originally Posted by grffn View Post
    $200!? Jeez. I thought this guide would be detailed enough for nearly anybody to do.
    If you still have no idea how to do it, why not buy what's needed (listed) and take it to a shop and have them do it for a mere fraction of the price? Just show them this guide.
    Most shops probably wouldn't do this because they wouldn't want the liability for modifying something electrical in the car.

It's pretty straight forward, only takes about 10 minutes to do it. It's worth giving it a try yourself, just take your time and follow the pictures. the only thing you need to do is remove the radio, you can access everything you need from there. I would pull the fan switch connector out while you're there though and make sure it's not melted.

Registered Member NaturalFlavored's Avatar

Mazda P5

I did this trick and it didn't work for me so I just soldered on connectors then put on longer wires so it wasn't tugging on the sensor.

Registered Member NaturalFlavored's Avatar

Mazda P5

20180922_100131.jpg
    A quick photo of what it looks like
    Still works a year later.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pb4ugotobed View Post
    Most shops probably wouldn't do this because they wouldn't want the liability for modifying something electrical in the car.

It's pretty straight forward, only takes about 10 minutes to do it. It's worth giving it a try yourself, just take your time and follow the pictures. the only thing you need to do is remove the radio, you can access everything you need from there. I would pull the fan switch connector out while you're there though and make sure it's not melted.
    I'm happy to say that I attempted this today and it seems like it worked! Thanks for the encouragement and of course the initial very-clear, very helpful instructions!

Registered Member

2002 Mazda Protege5

I am going to give this a try this weekend or next week. I tried the trick where you cut the black housing to expose the male contacts on the fan switch and connected/soldered the wires and it didn't change anything :/ (Still issues with fan speed 2 and 3). Living in Florida this AC issue can be a real buzz kill when driving my car.

Registered Member

2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by kdsmith7 View Post
    I'm happy to say that I attempted this today and it seems like it worked! Thanks for the encouragement and of course the initial very-clear, very helpful instructions!
    Kdsmith7, I am happy to see a recent post where this worked. I am going to try it now myself.

Registered Member

Mazda, Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by SlowturboP5 View Post
    Fixed it. I spliced into the wrong blue/yellow wire. But to be honest the directions should've been more clear. To clear things up for people that'll do this in the future, there are 2 blue/yellow wires in the vicinity. The 1 that you immediately see after removing the stereo is coming from the white plug(fan switch). This is not the right one. You have to splice into the blue/yellow wire coming from the black plug that is under the white plug. lol

Thank you for pointing this out. Made the same mistake as you and was going to live without fan speed 1!!!

The most difficult part was getting the old radio out, had to get my head down by the floormats to see where my homemade removal tool was going. Decided to upgrade to a bluetooth receiver once i got it out.

I would also suggest not "splicing" into the ground wire as mine became messy... just find ground elsewhere...

Registered Member

'02 Mazda Protege5

i don't know if this is an obvious question, but wouldn't it be easier to just buy a new fan switch? or just clean the old one as pcb mentioned? my AC has stopped working on 3 and i can still get it to work on 2 if I "wiggle" the switch a bit. 1 and 4 work fine. I'm not too keen on doing modifications to electrical wiring, don't want to create a short or a bigger problem lol

2002 mazda protege 5

Apparently, late model P5's had a redesigned fan switch.
    It was a little beefier and could handle more heat and current.
    I assume a replacement fan switch would be the newer design.
    The Diagram Dude

2002 Protege5

Sad im only doing this mod now that im selling my mazda lol. fan speed 3 is the best

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Gonna have to try this. Mine cuts out at speed 4. In Tucson it gets in the 100's, fan speed 3 just doesn't quite cut it unless I turn off the passenger vent which I do most of the time since it's my to/from work car.

Registered Member

I have this issue but itís intermittent. Not sure if the following irritating workaround works for anyone else but, usually what I do is, turn the AC off for a few seconds before turning the fan speed knob. Then, turn it back on once you have selected your desired fan speed.

A bit of a pain and probably not great to be turning these old units on and off so much, but this workaround seems to have helped the issue progress a little more slowly.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213