Stripping paint from P5 wheels?

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
All, right, so my 2002 P5 wheels have lots of bubbles and chips in the paint, and I decided to get them ready for some Plasti-Dip. The paint is coming up at the rim edge, on the edges of the spokes, and around the center cap.

The wheel under the paint is a rough cast aluminum finish, looks like sandcasting. The wheel paint is thick, and looks like some type of aluminum paint. I'd like to take it back down to the bare aluminum, but the normal methods (gel furniture stripper, scraping, heat gun) are not working that well. I'd like to leave sandblasting as a last resort. Any other tips on getting this crap off?

i used steel wool to get mine down took a little bit but it was cheap and affective. Also if you want a real clean look don't use plasti dip use rim paint and clear coat it looks so much better. here is a shot of mine they are a little dirty in this picture so you cant see the shine but its there. Good luck.
DSCN1938.jpg

^x2

I used just 1000 gritt and wetsanded mine, but getting rim paint is always a must if you're going to rattle can them.

i did it last summer and its still on there with no problems. But im thinking of going black soon still debating.

Back