Would like to add the following to my 2012 CX9 touring.... is it possible?

aj929

:
2004 Mazda 6i & 2012 Mazda CX-9 Touring
I would like to add some of the features that the Grand Touring comes with but is not standard on the touring. Does anyone know if it is possible to add the following:

-Chrome door handles
-mirrors with the turn signal lights on them
-chrome roof rack (like the one on the new CX5)
-class 3 towing hitch (we have a 19' boat to occasionally pull)

I would just like it to look a bit different then every other one that is out there. Thanks in advance for your help!!

I would like to add some of the features that the Grand Touring comes with but is not standard on the touring. Does anyone know if it is possible to add the following:

-Chrome door handles
-mirrors with the turn signal lights on them
-chrome roof rack (like the one on the new CX5)
-class 3 towing hitch (we have a 19' boat to occasionally pull)

I would just like it to look a bit different then every other one that is out there. Thanks in advance for your help!!
- chrome door handle:
OE ones: you need to replace the entire handle.
aftermarket ones: just chrome handle cover. Find them on eBay.
- mirror with turn signals:
wiring is there already. Just buy the mirror (whole set). No one is selling the mirror cover (w/ LED) only. Too bad.
try waynemazda.com or mazdaparts.org for OE ones
- chrome roof rack:
Chrome? I thought they are painted silver? No OE roof racks are painted silver or chrome
- class 3 tow hitch:
All aftermarket hitches are class III with 2" opening. OE one has 1 and 1/4" opening (probably class II).
see etrailer.com

Thanks for the info I will check all that out. Let me make sure I understand...

Mirrors- the wiring is already there to swap the mirrors out? So all I will need would be the mirrors themselves, painted to match the car?? That would be awesome!!! I looked on the mazdaparts.org site and the 2012's aren't there yet though :( I'll check the other one!

Painted silver would be ok, or do you think the black would look better?

Door Handles- which do you think would be better, the covers or swapping the whole handle? I have the button lock on both the driver side and the passenger side.

Thanks!!

Thanks for the info I will check all that out. Let me make sure I understand...

Mirrors- the wiring is already there to swap the mirrors out? So all I will need would be the mirrors themselves, painted to match the car?? That would be awesome!!! I looked on the mazdaparts.org site and the 2012's aren't there yet though :( I'll check the other one!

Painted silver would be ok, or do you think the black would look better?

Door Handles- which do you think would be better, the covers or swapping the whole handle? I have the button lock on both the driver side and the passenger side.

Thanks!!

1) wiring existing. Check with dealer. I read that on this forum. Not personal experience.
2) which looks better? Painted silver? It depends on you.
3) Door handle? Same. It is your call.

I would also like to added the turn singals to my touring, but for another reason. Are the side mirrors with signals heated? I have to deal with frost most every winter morning and it drives me crazy not having heated mirrors, didn't realize I would miss them. Do you happen to know the part # needed for the side view mirrors with the turn indicators needed for a 2012 CX-9 touring? I foundjimellismazdaparts.com and it says they will fit a 2012 but it is the same parts # as 2009.

Thanks!

After reading more I figured out the heated mirrors thing. Need to turn on the rear defroster? I have never had a car where the rear defroster controlled the mirrors, oh well. But if it is just as simple as pnp for the mirror turn signals I think they would be nice to have.

I have the touring and would like it to look more like the grand touring, namely the 20" wheels, fog lights, side mirrors with turn signals, chrome tailgate finisher and chrome door handles. The cost to add these oem items is probably around $2k. When I was shopping for used 2009 models last november, the price difference between similar mileage touring and GTs was around $3500, but the GTs also had a few other interior upgrades such as nav/backup camera, bsm, power liftgate, HIDs, so that the cost would really be much more than the difference if I just bought the GT. Doh!

anyway. I am too cheap, and so I just added the plastic door handle covers ($16 shipped). the quality appears to be just slightly higher than $16. (but i guess its better than just slightly lower than $16!)

before:
image1_zpsb3fde1c7.jpg

after:
9f4b2a444c0872d78eed1fe2c182d2b8.jpg

0b03f15b6243172be726226833eb6ebe.jpg

Now, next task is to create the low budget version of the chrome tailgate finisher:
GTrear.jpg

anyone know the height of this chrome strip? looks like around 1 3/4" - 2" or so. Any GT owners care to measure for this wannabe? Where to buy chrome automotive tape this wide?

Last edited:
Both my 1990 and 1997 VW's heated mirrors were controlled via rear defroster button. That relationship has been around on many cars for some time

Hi Reggie-

You may be able to source some of the items you need from an auto recycling faciliy (which is a fancy way of saying 'junk yard'! (rolleyes)

The website www.car-part.com is an AWESOME resource to help you find various parts taken from totaled vehicles for salvage/resale. My 2006 Mazda3 had a freak transmission issue that caused it to pop out of 3rd gear as soon as I started releasing the clutch! For a few weeks, my car was a 4-speed manual, and I had to wind it out in 2nd to get up to speed before shifting to 4th. My A/C compressor also went out about the same time (all in late 2009).

I couldn't find a transmission place or a local mechanic who would open the transmission housing. Every shop I called told me the same thing- you just need a new transmission. So I went on car-part.com and found a 5-speed manual transmission and an A/C compressor at the same salvage yard. Both were from a 2006 Mazda3 that was totaled at 21k miles and I paid $500 for the transmission, $125 for A/C compressor and $100 in freight to ship the transmission. Very reasonable IMO.

If you decide to purchase the Chrome Tailgate Finisher, it retail for $200.95 but the dealer that I always order parts from has it for $174.19. Something else that looks AWESOME is the Chrome Rear Bumper Guard/Protector. It mounts on top of the black plastic trim that you see now on the top of the bumper at the base of the liftgate door. It retails for $152.95 but you can get it for $119.14. I actually just ordered the Chrome Bumper Guard last week and it arrived yesterday. It looks great on my Crystal White Pearl, but it looks even better on a darker color, so it would really look great on your Copper Red! (cheers)

The dealer where I get the discounted items is MedCenter Mazda in Pelham (Birmingham), Albama. Just look up the dealership name and click on the PARTS button toward the top of the page. Then you just choose your vehicle and you can see all the Accessories available for your model. They also include the List Price and their discounted price. They ship very quickly but securely, they don't charge sales tax unless you are an Alabama resident AND they ship all orders over $100 for FREE!

Based on my my own research for the last seven years, since I first became a Mazda owner, I have searched high and low for the best deals on parts and accessories. To date, I haven't found anyone whose prices or service can beat MedCenter's.

It doesn't look like you have splash guards on the front or rear wheels. They are so subtle that no one would notice they were there, but they make a HUGE difference in keeping the front doors and sides of the rear bumper clean. Without them, the tires pick up all the grime and dirt on the road and deposit it right onto the areas I just mentioned. The front and rear splash guards are sold separately- $57.99 for Front and $58.35 for the Rear.

Some of Mazda's accessories seem ridiculously overpriced and Foglights are an example of that- List price is $647.85 and MedCenter has them for $560.68!
I don't believe you mentioned anything about the Roof Rack and some like how they look and other don't. If you do want to add one later, you have the option of installing the Side Rails for looks or with the Crossbars (for about $100 more) if you even plan to actually use it!

One final thing I wanted to mention is your Wheels. The 20s have always looked great on the CX-9, but the 18" had very similar styling just slightly smaller. They looked fine on the Sport and Touring models. Then in 2011 Mazda decided to change the design of the 18s and 20s- the 20s turned out looking sharp, but the 18-inchers on the Sport and Touring now look hideous to me! (rockon)

It's a nice change Reg. The car would really look good with custom colored red side moulding. Then the mudflaps. And finally, the chrome bumper guard.

It photographs well after a bath. Is that a pearl paint?

Hi Reggie-

You may be able to source some of the items you need from an auto recycling faciliy (which is a fancy way of saying 'junk yard'! (rolleyes)

The website www.car-part.com is an AWESOME resource to help you find various parts taken from totaled vehicles for salvage/resale. My 2006 Mazda3 had a freak transmission issue that caused it to pop out of 3rd gear as soon as I started releasing the clutch! For a few weeks, my car was a 4-speed manual, and I had to wind it out in 2nd to get up to speed before shifting to 4th. My A/C compressor also went out about the same time (all in late 2009).

I couldn't find a transmission place or a local mechanic who would open the transmission housing. Every shop I called told me the same thing- you just need a new transmission. So I went on car-part.com and found a 5-speed manual transmission and an A/C compressor at the same salvage yard. Both were from a 2006 Mazda3 that was totaled at 21k miles and I paid $500 for the transmission, $125 for A/C compressor and $100 in freight to ship the transmission. Very reasonable IMO.

If you decide to purchase the Chrome Tailgate Finisher, it retail for $200.95 but the dealer that I always order parts from has it for $174.19. Something else that looks AWESOME is the Chrome Rear Bumper Guard/Protector. It mounts on top of the black plastic trim that you see now on the top of the bumper at the base of the liftgate door. It retails for $152.95 but you can get it for $119.14. I actually just ordered the Chrome Bumper Guard last week and it arrived yesterday. It looks great on my Crystal White Pearl, but it looks even better on a darker color, so it would really look great on your Copper Red! (cheers)

The dealer where I get the discounted items is MedCenter Mazda in Pelham (Birmingham), Albama. Just look up the dealership name and click on the PARTS button toward the top of the page. Then you just choose your vehicle and you can see all the Accessories available for your model. They also include the List Price and their discounted price. They ship very quickly but securely, they don't charge sales tax unless you are an Alabama resident AND they ship all orders over $100 for FREE!

Based on my my own research for the last seven years, since I first became a Mazda owner, I have searched high and low for the best deals on parts and accessories. To date, I haven't found anyone whose prices or service can beat MedCenter's.

It doesn't look like you have splash guards on the front or rear wheels. They are so subtle that no one would notice they were there, but they make a HUGE difference in keeping the front doors and sides of the rear bumper clean. Without them, the tires pick up all the grime and dirt on the road and deposit it right onto the areas I just mentioned. The front and rear splash guards are sold separately- $57.99 for Front and $58.35 for the Rear.

Some of Mazda's accessories seem ridiculously overpriced and Foglights are an example of that- List price is $647.85 and MedCenter has them for $560.68!
I don't believe you mentioned anything about the Roof Rack and some like how they look and other don't. If you do want to add one later, you have the option of installing the Side Rails for looks or with the Crossbars (for about $100 more) if you even plan to actually use it!

One final thing I wanted to mention is your Wheels. The 20s have always looked great on the CX-9, but the 18" had very similar styling just slightly smaller. They looked fine on the Sport and Touring models. Then in 2011 Mazda decided to change the design of the 18s and 20s- the 20s turned out looking sharp, but the 18-inchers on the Sport and Touring now look hideous to me! (rockon)

Thanks for this very detailed and thoughtful reply - a lot to look at there.

It's a nice change Reg. The car would really look good with custom colored red side moulding. Then the mudflaps. And finally, the chrome bumper guard.

It photographs well after a bath. Is that a pearl paint?

its copper red mica I think.

Are you talking about changing all of the black lower trim to match the body color? That would be interesting.

I may consider mudflaps as I just had to clean tar off of the lower body this weekend. I haven't seen any cx-9's with the mudflaps excepT in the accessories brochure so I am not sure how they would really look.

what I want to do is make my own chrome tailgate finisher using 3m tape.

I just installed the splash guards/mud flaps on our new CX-9 last night. They look like they belong on the car to me. They blend in with the black plastic molding along the bottom of the car. In a cold weather climate, they help keep all the snow and salt off the lower sheet metal. I threw the WeatherTech floor mats in also, so my wife will allow other people in the car now. I'm thinking about adding running boards now to help the kids with getting in and out.

Good luck finding those JJ. Good thing kids love to climb. Grandmas, not so much.

J&J, let me know if you end up installing these and how you like them (post a picture if possible), I'm interested in these as well!

For my money, the two things that should be standard packaging in the US on the touring is the auto headlights and the auto rear mirror. many cars of lesser stature have these as standard equipment. Their engineering group is great, their marketing group, not so good!!

Back