2014 Mazda CX-9

upstatedoc

:
2009 BMW 328i X
Sorry if this thread doesn't deliver for some but I searched here and on the interwebs and could find nothing about the next generation 9 as far as spy pics. Anyone see any spy pics? I saw something over on leftlanenews that they were speculating a 4 cylinder turbo for the next gen? Wat!

i think its still too early for the CX9. mazda is likely watching the market of the CX5, and the upcoming Mazda6. MX5 was expecting a total redesign for 2013, but it will only be getting a minor face lift. my guess is CX9 will get similar face lift for 2013 to carry it through 2015.

Likely come at the end of 2013 as 2014 with either a turbo-I4 Skyactiv (2.5L) or carried over V6.
Weight reduction of around 250lbs.

Saw this leaked picture...
2014-Mazda6-wagon-main.jpg

Check the 2014 Mazda6 thread.
Lots of photos there. It will be shown at Moscow Autoshow soon.
The spyshot is from the wagon. Wagons are well accepted in Europe, not so much in USA.

Just going to say that will look gorgeous... If the next gen mazdas will be anything like the six there's hope yet :)

my guess is CX9 will get similar face lift for 2013 to carry it through 2015.

The CX-9 is getting old but so is everything in the segment. The Acadia/Traverse/Enclave is old and is only about to get a face lift. The Highlander is old. The Pilot is old and just got a facelift. For such a hot segment, the manufacturers seem to be content letting their 3 row CUVs hang on the vine a little too long in my opinion. They risk getting completely outclassed if something new shows up. Each of these cars dodged a bullet with the new Explorer, which is OK but not a homerun. If Ford had knocked it out of the park with the Explorer, then the other competitors would be in big trouble with no new product on the horizon. The upper trim levels of all these cars (those costing in the low to mid $40s) are about to have their lunch eaten by the Infiniti JX. I think the CX-9 is still a very competitive product but Mazda (and the other manufacturers) might be taking a big risk that something else might come along and leave them all behind. Maybe the new Pathfinder? Maybe something from Korea?

The upper trim levels of all these cars (those costing in the low to mid $40s) are about to have their lunch eaten by the Infiniti JX.

The JX35 starts at 42k AWD. Add Premium package, theatre package, driver assistance package, you are looking past the 50k mark.

The CX-9 starts at 30 and goes up to 39k.

It is a different segment, not a competitor.
Mercedes GLK starts at 37k, there is a competitor.

The CX-9 is getting old but so is everything in the segment. The Acadia/Traverse/Enclave is old and is only about to get a face lift. The Highlander is old. The Pilot is old and just got a facelift. For such a hot segment, the manufacturers seem to be content letting their 3 row CUVs hang on the vine a little too long in my opinion. They risk getting completely outclassed if something new shows up. Each of these cars dodged a bullet with the new Explorer, which is OK but not a homerun. If Ford had knocked it out of the park with the Explorer, then the other competitors would be in big trouble with no new product on the horizon. The upper trim levels of all these cars (those costing in the low to mid $40s) are about to have their lunch eaten by the Infiniti JX. I think the CX-9 is still a very competitive product but Mazda (and the other manufacturers) might be taking a big risk that something else might come along and leave them all behind. Maybe the new Pathfinder? Maybe something from Korea?

Sure, if you want a JX with no options at all, you can get it for a bit more than a loaded CX-9; personally, I'd rather have the loaded CX-9. Even if the Explorer was highly rated, a fully loaded Explorer gets up over $45,000.

I think that the new Hyundai Santa Fe 7-passenger version is going to be highly competitive this year.

The JX35 starts at 42k AWD. Add Premium package, theatre package, driver assistance package, you are looking past the 50k mark.

The CX-9 starts at 30 and goes up to 39k.

It is a different segment, not a competitor.
Mercedes GLK starts at 37k, there is a competitor.

except the GLK is half the size of the CX9

I expect a refresh for 2013, something similar to what GM did with the Acadia, just to keep it updated until the new design comes out.

I believe the Pathfinder and Santa Fe (7 passenger) will gobble up a lot of CX-9/Pilot/Highlander off-lease owners if neither of these manufacturers do anything, which is why I believe we will receive a refreshed CX-9 for 2013.

I expect a refresh for 2013, something similar to what GM did with the Acadia, just to keep it updated until the new design comes out.

The October issue of Car and Driver says no changes to the CX-9 for '13--which I think is par for the course, since it's the last MY for this design.

I think the new Pathfinder is going to be the vehicle to beat in this segment. The only potential negative is the CVT, but I had the CVT in my V6 Altima and it was a great match for that engine\platform.

The new Pathfinder is rated at 20/26 MPG and can pull 5000lbs. That is mighty impressive for a vehicle in this class. It will also probably bring about the end of the Murano as they are basically going to compete against each other.
With everything else being basically equal, the added seating and more attractive styling of the Pathfinder will cut deeply into Murano sales.

Mazda did an excellent job with the first gen CX9 for the most part. Hopefully they will keep what they did right and improve on the negatives making the next gen even better.
This all 4 cylinder lineup stuff is fairly concerning though. If the new CX9 is as underpowered as I fear it will be, I will not hesitate to go back to Nissan when I replace my current CX.

The October issue of Car and Driver says no changes to the CX-9 for '13--which I think is par for the course, since it's the last MY for this design.

October issue in early August? My God...talk about getting a head of their selves...

I don't think they are right. I believe we will see something significant for 2013.

Last edited:
Back