AC Compressor Clutch Issue

DeCaro

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Ok. Who has had this crap happen? I have owned my Protege5 for 7 years. Recently my AC when from ice cold to super hot. After driving a month without AC in the summer time, I was starting to lose it. So I decided to diagnose the issue myself. I asked the parts store what they thought. They told me to see if it needed to be charged. The needle in the gauge we used jumped into the red. I tried to get my face down close to see if the compressor was kicking on and couldn't tell. I know nothing about AC's.

BUT... While I was looking for God knows what... I noticed a circular piece of metal laying in the bottom of the engine bay, on top of the plastic guard.

It was my clutch plate!! Either the hub retention bolt sheared off or worked its way out. I am hoping it just worked its way out. I may have lost the shim(s) too?

Does anyone know if there is anything else that may be missing? Looks like only a snap ring is holding my pulley on also. Gulp.

Compressor_Pulley_Clutch_Diagram.jpg

Not exact diagram. But the closest available

Last edited:
Called Mazda. Turns out that the retention bolt only comes with the compressor.

GENIUS MAZDA!! Lose a few dollar bolt and have to buy a whole new compressor. COMPLETE BS!!. Looks like a wrecking yard is the place for me.

yeah salvage or maybe an A/C place not out to gouge you. I remember having to buy a special tool when working on an A/C clutch long ago(?) I'm trying to understand what the magnet pulls in to get the pulley lock. Is it just the plate?

Yes, just the plate. So odd. I never had this happen to any car. I know I need a special tool that keeps the pulley and clutch plate from rotating. I may have to flip my MacGyver switch on for that.

Good news!!! After about a year of no AC, I decided to look through odd bolts I had laying around. I figured if it could find the right diameter of the bolt, I could go somewhere and buy a few in different thread patterns and lengths and give them a try. So I found the correct diameter and headed over to a shop called Copperstate Nuts and Bolt. This place it pretty cool. All the Bolt and Nuts are in the back, like a parts store. You tell them what you are looking for and they come out with suggestions. I showed the guy the bolt I had and told him it was for a car. He said I don't have any auto bolts but I do have hardened. I told him anything, at this point, is better than no AC or paying $400+. He dropped a few bolts on the counter in front of me and said, "Good luck. No charge." I took them home and the first one I tried was a fit!!! I "caked" red Permitex thread locker on it as it was a bit looser than it should be. I don't htink that bolt it going anywhere anytime soon. :)

I do not remember the size or have anything to measure it. But, here are some pics. This is pretty much the same bolt that I used just a tad bit shorter. Hope this helps someone.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Back