Mazda5 Stalling at stop signs or red lights

PAGE13

:
2007 Mazda 5 Sport
Hello out there, I have a 2007 Mazda5 Sport, and I have recently replaced the alternator. Now when Im at a stop with the car in drive it starts to idol low especially when the AC is on, and sometimes it even shuts off, also it does that when I roll the windows up and hold the button after they are all the way up, and when I Turn the steering wheel before I let up off the break. Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks for your input.

You need to do an idle learn procedure. Every time the battery goes dead or is disconnected this procedure must be done. Google it or if I'm not mistaken get inside car close door wait for dome lights to turn off and make sure all accessories are off. Turn ignition to ON but do not turn start engine. Leave on ON position for exactly one minute. Then START engine and let idle for five minutes. DO NOT PUT ANY LOAD ON CHARGING SYSTEM. Just sit inside car and let it idle.

Last edited:
How much mileage do you have on your car? Old and worn out spark plugs can cause your car to stall out at idle. Try changing them and see if it fixes problem.

Most likely a cracked PCV valve hose causeing a major vacuum leak. Pretty common issue on the 2.3's cause of the bad placement.

I have a 2007 GT and Ive had this issue when I got the car from the dealer. I complained and they re-flashed the PCM, prob gone to this day. Back in 2007 this was an issue with the 5 I remember they have a TSB on this. Draw back is instead of the original 157 HP stated on the manual after the re-flash the dealer tells me that it will go down to 154 HP same as the 2008 model.

Last edited:
I know, old thread. But mines started doing this. I tried the calibration but it still wants to stall out. any other steps i need to take? I unplugged the battery for about 5 mins and calibrated again but no improvement.

Here's a link for anyone else that might need a bit more detail or might need to clean the throttle body. http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/91698/how-to-fix-a-mazda-that-stalls-at-stop
Confirmed by shop that they will try the throttle fix as my Mazda 5 2006 touring has developed the stalling after stopping (once) but hesitation and rough idle at low RPMs recently (completely died in the middle of an intersection on Sunday but restarted fortunately). Sometimes needed to do Brake on-Gas on when in low idle at a stop. Shop confirmed will try the throttle fix but noted rear O2 sensor issue that is not displaying a need for replacement however, that may be the next fix should the throttle cleaning not solve the problem completely.
On an aside that may be related is my experience just 10 days ago of starting my car with the remote starter, getting in the car, inserting and turning the key On and having every (ALL) lights on the dash come up and not go off even with the key turned off and removed. Had to waited and heard a "click" about one-two minutes later, then lights went out but car could not turn over - battery completely dead. Never seen anything like this before.

Back