CX-5 Owners Opinions Needed

speedracr79

BAD WOLF
Contributor
:
Protege
My brother has an 08 Mazda3 hes thinking of trading it in for a CX-5 but i know nothing about them. So i figure the best place for any info would be to come to you guys.

So what are the likes and dislikes?

What are some things he should our shouldnt get like options, trim level, or packages.

What price is a good price what did you pay for yours?

Basically anything that would sway him either for or against it. Hes also thinking about an Outbackor the new Accord. I would really like him to stick to the Mazda family, but i also drive a Subaru so if he went that way it would be cool too. But my roots are and always will be with Mazda.

So post away and tell me what you really think of your CX-5 and if theres any regrets.

I thank you in advance for your help.

Like: cargo space, handling, ride quality, fuel economy
Suggested trim: Manual transmission (sport trim)

What are his primary needs?
If its cargo capacity and utility, CX5 is not bad, but Subaru Outback is better. CX5 gives much better fuel economy though.
If he's looking for a comfortable town car, Accord might be faster, but the CX5 is more versatile.

Honestly the dude would need to test drive to decide for himself. I know i wasn't looking for an SUV (i had a modified Toyota Matrix before this), but the test drive really sealed the deal for me on this car.

He dosent have any needs really just wants to upgrade he already test drove one. But he dosent have any other opinons other than the car salesman. He dosent have any kids or pets so space isnt a neccessity. He dosent do manual so it would be an auto.

If he's comfortable driving a Mazda3, he'll be comfortable driving a CX5.
I'll let others chime in with their 2cents.

I looked for 6 months at what was available and I feel the CX-5 is the best available in this price range and one or two above it. I like the Touring package (the middle of the 3 packages) as it has all the important features for a great price with none of the faux-lux stuff I have like pleather seats that just get super hot. The grand touring also has dual-zone climate control, which I have had in all my previous vehicles but honestly I have never unlinked the two sides, I always synced the temperatures together and never ran different sides at different temps. And since I see no value in those two items, I don't feel the larger and nicer wheels are work the $3-4000 bump in price.

I think the CX-5 looks classy inside and out, no fake and over the top styling. The power is more than sufficient for driving on the road, and I came from a sedan with 333hp. The fit and finish is really nice and I felt classes above the price of the vehicle, the soft touch dash and the attention to detail. The seats fold easily, the windows are nicely tinted in the back, the cloth interior stays very cool compared to my previous leather sedan. ETc etc... I really love it.

I love this vehicle. It has exceeded my expectations. I love the ride, the handling and the gas mileage!

speedracr79;

Here is my story about the CX-5 (my 2-cents)

My wifes' 2009 Hyundai Accent was showing some issues, and the dealer would not cover it under warranty....(front end pulling AND a bad original tire) also had a dent right above the driver door (looks like it was hit by a golf ball )
So... instead of putting any $$ into such a cheaply built vehicle.... I gave her my "babied" 2007 VW Rabbit, and did a small amount of research on the internet, for a SUV type,.... for me.

I was impressed w/ the look and fuel efficiency ratings of the CX-5. The price of the CX-5 was also a plus. ( I'm not rich, but I am a "frugal" type.... and have no debt )
So I went to the Mazda dealer, gave them the Hyundai, and a check for the balance. (out the door, for $14,835) I paid the MSRP of $21,490, plus sales tax, and registration / tag fees included.... for a nice BLACK base model / manual 6 speed.

Now that I have had it for about 5 weeks, and 700 miles on it, I'm liking it, the more I drive it. Since the kids have grown up (and moved out), I don't need a rear seat.... so I took out the back seat cushion, and with a little "prop", the seats now lie flat.
I purchased the vehicle for two main reasons..... It will be perfect for a cross country road trip (Fla. to Maine), and will provide great cargo capacity for my musical stuff. (guitars, amps, and such..)

I find myself trying to achieve the best gas mileage.... to see what I can get... basically. In "stop and go" driving, to work, right now I'm getting 29.4 MPG. ....although, I'm driving like the old man, that I guess I am.... and will slip it into neutral, when I see a stop light ahead (coast).... and if I know I'm going to be sitting at a light for more than a minute.... I'll even shut the engine down. I expect, when cruising on the highway (which I have not done, yet) getting over 35mpg will not be difficult. I have noticed, using the handy trip computer in the dash.... that when I'm going about 45mph, in 6th gear, the computer readout can be anywhere between 42.6, and 56 mpg.... (the manual says you can drive it, in 6th gear, above 43mph. )

Some say that it is not powerful enough..... and yes, it does not "get up and go", like my VW Rabbit can.... but it does get up to speed, adequately, if you "step on it".

Since I only need a GPS for the annual road trip, I just use a portable Magellan model 1700 GPS, and only use it, when needed. ( big 7" screen )

One surprising bonus (for me anyway ) ..... I expected that my auto insurance would be higher than the 2009 Hyundai.... but it was actually slightly lower. (they gave me a pro-rated refund )

another bonus in the deal: The dealer, using one of those "if you buy today" tactics.... threw in a 2yr free maintenance voucher. (they call it "Mazda Advantage" ).... basically it is good for 4 oil changes, and minor maintenance, over 2 years )
..... I did ask, and will make sure, that they use the Mazda 0-20W synthetic oil.

That's about it..... you are smart to look at a forum, before you buy. ( I spent some time (and still do) in the VWvortex forum )

I am very please w/ the comfort and handling of the CX-5.

2013MazdaCX-5sm-1-1.jpg

Back