Deposit - Noob question

Vorret

:
CX-5 GS FWD
Good morning,

I'm kind of a "noob" when it comes to buying car, I put 500$ down on a CX-5 Friday, I was expecting delivery within a week but it's been bumped to two weeks (guaranteed on the contract).

Is this normal procedure? I'm kinda loaning them 500$ right now.

I have never bought a new car in my life, I was the same as you when I heard they wanted $500 deposit to buy the car. I was like why would I give you $500 if I am buying a car from you? They said the it covers the costs for them to do the paper work and process all the this and that. If i decided to not buy the car after would I get my money back? Well yes, but no... they could not give me a real answer as to why they needed the money. I told them no I would not give a deposit without 15% annual interest, interest calculated per day, and a $50 borrowing fee. He looked at me like WTF!! lol I said if you are borrowing money from me that is the cost. So he talked to his finance guy who said they would wave the fee. $500 security deposit was the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Pay us so you can buy a car from us.

Sorry also you won't get it back unless you ask for it back. When you go to sign the paper work you will see that they have put it as a down payment on the car. You have to say I want the cash back, It is confusing and wrong in my opinion.

They told me that they use 200$ of it to pay the registration and will give me a check for 300$ back when I pick up the car.

Just another question, it might seem silly but, when do monthly payment start? Is it when you pick up the car or when you sign the contract?

Thanks!
Wish I had answered the interest and fees when he asked for the deposit, that's golden! :)

The day you pick up your car and spend 2 hours signing your life away on ridiculous stuff (You just wait you will be blown away how much paper work there is) from that day lets say it's the 5th of Aug then your first payment will come out Sept 5th so one month after the day you drive it off the lot. Also just so you know you cannot change your payment day until after your first payment is made. I wanted mine to come out on the 1st not the 27th and they could not change it until after my first payment.

The day you pick up your car and spend 2 hours signing your life away on ridiculous stuff (You just wait you will be blown away how much paper work there is) from that day lets say it's the 5th of Aug then your first payment will come out Sept 5th so one month after the day you drive it off the lot. Also just so you know you cannot change your payment day until after your first payment is made. I wanted mine to come out on the 1st not the 27th and they could not change it until after my first payment.

I signed my name like 4 times when I got my CX-5. Once on some contract form, once on an odometer statement, and twice on white papers saying I declined any additional items and something disclosure statement from the state. Took like 2 minutes total since I said upfront "Hello, I will not be purchasing any warranty or additional items."

Spent 1.5 hours in the room last year for my wifes kia. Spent 5 minutes in the room for my cx5. I've vowed to get only mazdas from my dealer for the rest of my life.

Ouch... hopefully it'll be the 5 minutes kind since it's out of town. Anything I need to look for when I take delivery? Did you test anything to make sure it's working properly?

I'm kinda worried... the guy told me the car just got off the boat yesterday, I read the "on the water" thread and it took over a month after being offloaded to get to the dealer... mine guaranteed me 2 weeks. I work in a transport company, I know how long it takes to do West Coast -> East Coast either by train or truck but I have no idea how long it takes to actually leave the port :(

I want it before the last week of August, we're going on vacation!

I'm kinda worried... the guy told me the car just got off the boat yesterday, I read the "on the water" thread and it took over a month after being offloaded to get to the dealer... mine guaranteed me 2 weeks. I work in a transport company, I know how long it takes to do West Coast -> East Coast either by train or truck but I have no idea how long it takes to actually leave the port :(

I want it before the last week of August, we're going on vacation!

Might be a bit short, i know that when they told me that mine arrive in Vancouver it took another 24 day's.

I waited a total of 54 day's for mine back in March. Where did you get it? Albi?

Ouch... hopefully it'll be the 5 minutes kind since it's out of town. Anything I need to look for when I take delivery? Did you test anything to make sure it's working properly?

Yes, first do a walk around inspecting for any scratches and dents, especially the bumpers. Make sure the glass looks good. Next, inspect body panel seams for proper fit and alignment. Look under the car for leaks of any fluids.

Next inspect the interior and check for seat cushion issues as mentioned in other threads. Check for spare tire and jack. Now the fun part. Take your new ride for a test drive checking the brakes for any pulling to one side problems. Check the AC. It should blow very cold. Check the power mirrors, windows and door locks. Next check the sound system. Bring your own CDs or mp3 player, you'll need some tunes to listen to on the way home.

After all this, you are finally ready to go inside to do the paperwork. Tell the finance guy no to any extra nonsense they want to add to pad their profit. Most of it like paint protection, glass coating, parts numbering is total BS and I laughed and asked the guy if he was joking. Just say no. Finally, read each line of the items that you are paying for on the contract and ask them to explain anything you do not understand. Sometimes, despite you explictedly saying no to any add-ons, they still try to sneak something in unnoticed and get you to sign for it. When you catch them, they will have a ready, lame excuse and act as if they misunderstood. Check the financing APR to make sure they haven't moved it up to squeeze a little more blood.

I don't mean to make it sound like all dealership people are weasels or vampires, some are, most are not. I am giving you this guide because everything mentioned above has been attempted on me at one time or another during my 40 years of car buying. Remember to never let your excitement about your new car cloud good judgement and critical thinking.

With that said, enjoy your CX-5, it's an amazing value and a fun ride to boot.

Might be a bit short, i know that when they told me that mine arrive in Vancouver it took another 24 day's.

I waited a total of 54 day's for mine back in March. Where did you get it? Albi?

Granby.
Wanted to get it in Drummondville but the salesperson was... odd, very odd, not as bad as the Ford guy (who was a total nutcase) but close.

edit:
I tried Albi, I mean they're huge and they advertise the Internet price + Albi rebate on their website, sadly, the guy didn't want to give me a price over the web, I'm like, why the hell do you advertise a price in 5 minutes if you're going to tell me to come in to discuss a price? He most likely lost a sale by being a complete jerk.

Last edited:
Thanks Lando, I asked my mom's boyfriend to come with us, he's a neutral party, lots of experience and he's sharp to spot stuff I never would.

So basicly, the price we agreed on on the contract could change ? I thought that was kind of final, I'll make sure to bring it with me so it doesn't change 1 cents.

Thanks!

At the port the shipping company will assign the vehicle to a rail car number. If you can figure out who is hauling it and can get that number, you can check the location of the rail car through the company, maybe. Then it goes to a distribution center for loading on a truck, don't know how you would track that part. I did this once but got a lot of resistance at all levels, they didn't want to do it. Bottom line is that Mazda could do it if they really wanted to but they have no real incentive to do so. You will probably just have to be patient, not easy I know. Just got the call today on my red touring, finally arrived from the port after over 3 weeks wait! Getting clear bra installed and pick it up Monday afternoon, excited to get behind the wheel!

So basicly, the price we agreed on on the contract could change ? I thought that was kind of final, I'll make sure to bring it with me so it doesn't change 1 cents.

Thanks!

Yes, I once had dealer try to change the interest rate of a deal that we had agreed on two days previously while I waited for the car to arrive. When I caught the change in the paperwork he told me he was so sorry that they just couldn't rate we had agreed on and it would only cost $3.00 a month more. I guess he thought I would go along, but he pissed off the wrong guy. I got up and walked out.

He called me the next day at work and told me he had miraculously, through his diligent effort, been able to get our original deal. I told him that because he dicked me around, I had bought the car from one of his competitors within a few hours of leaving his office and they had no problem getting the rate we had agreed on.

Never be hesitant to walk out. They only make money if they sell you a car.

Thanks for all the tips!
Picking it up tonight... I am restless and I need to work 8 hours... argh !

Vorret, I think our cars were on the same ship but I got mine about 4 days sooner as I live in Vancouver. Enjoy your car cuz it really is that good.

Well... I still don't have it.
They clled me yesterday saying the installation of the hitch would take too long and it would only be ready today.

No biggie, right?

Wrong.

I just received a call : Well... the we don't actually have the hitch and mudflap right now we'll need to order them.

WTF?!?

Guess I'll install them myself after all, I told him to send me a new contract without those installed, waiting on that and I'll pick it up tonight anyway.

Never buying from that dealer again, I love how they kept praising how they offered the "best service possible" and that "it's very important that our customer is very satisfied".

Latest posts

Back