new personal best in mpg

mpg.jpg

421 mile trip and 36.3 mpg

lots of up and down hill driving, didn't really go super easy on it either. Skyactive likes high altitude. Topped out at 8,900 feet. Back down at under 100 feet today but started the trip odo and the average mpg at fill-up before the trip so it has all the uphill mpg in its calculation too.

Impressive mpg. Best I've seen on a tank is 28.5. I have yet to do a road trip with CX-5 or even more than 120 miles of freeway driving at a stretch. I still need to do a Tahoe trip in my CX-5.

Last edited:
Very nice! What tire pressure are you running? I am running 36PSI here, and I have a city avg of 27mpg and freeway avg 35mpg. My personal best was 38mpg, and that was doing alot of 45-50MPH driving.

I'm dying to take a long trip just to see what type of miles we would get. Went down to Myrtle Beach 2 weeks ago about a 1,200 mile roundtrip but to my dismay wifey insisted we take the Mountaineer instead cause she didn't want the miles on the CX-5.

I'm running the stock 36lbs in the tires. Once I saw how much these tires cost to replace I decided to stick with the recommended pressure.

The bulk of the trip was 2 lane back road highways not big wide freeways. I80 had a lot of construction so whenever possible we avoided it. Ended up with lots of corner and lots of hills. I think the elevation change from Reno to the top of Rose peak is around 4,500 ft. And that was on this road: road.jpg

It never seemed to struggle on the hills and handled wonderfully.

It really loved the high altitude for the mpg and I'm not sure if it is the higher compression that helped but it didn't run out of breath as bad as our other small 4 cyl engines have in the past.

Last edited:
Have the AWD (rated for 31) - Best I've done is 33.5 (calculated on my own.) Typically I can get 31-32.5 on the highway at speeds of 60-65 mph TOPS. If I do 70-75 I'm getting 30.

Of note, I took this things through Shenandoah National Park down Skyline Drive which runs along the top of the mountain-north to south-105 miles long. I averaged 29.5 mpg with 2 people and the back full of camping gear. Also, I wasn't pushing it really hard, but I wasn't holding back either on all those windy up and down turns. Driving in regular auto mode was a pain, but manual mode was a blast!

I'll be taking a trip to Acadia National Park this fall (coast of Maine) and I'll let y'all know how it does.

My first fill up , measured manually, was 31.9 in my AWD. This is "country driving" a mix of city/highway but closer to highway but at reduced speed.

I just hit a personal best of 359 miles averaging 35.6 mpg using basic hypermiling techniques. Mainly I tried to anticipate stops, coasted as much as possible, smooth accelerations and upshifted at lower rpms. I drove mostly freeway rush hour traffic with the exception of 70 mile trip with light traffic and used cruise control.

You guys are making me jealous. Here's what I'm getting after 1000 miles

I'd say 80% SF Bay Area city driving, and trying to drive like a grandmother the last 2 fuel-ups

You guys are making me jealous. Here's what I'm getting after 1000 miles

I'd say 80% SF Bay Area city driving, and trying to drive like a grandmother the last 2 fuel-ups

that looks about right for that sort of driving area. Although I rented a Jetta once and drove it to SF and around the downtown (for a lot longer than I wanted to) and did a lot of full throttle starts on the hills to zip past people stopped in stupid places and got home with an average of 30 mpg with their 2.5 engine. I don't think I could do that in the 5

Sounds about right. All that stop and go, unpredictable city driving along with the SF hills will really kill your mpgs. It's really flat here and even rush hour on the freeway is somewhat predicable enough to allow for some hypermiling.

I just hit a personal best of 359 miles averaging 35.6 mpg using basic hypermiling techniques. Mainly I tried to anticipate stops, coasted as much as possible, smooth accelerations and upshifted at lower rpms. I drove mostly freeway rush hour traffic with the exception of 70 mile trip with light traffic and used cruise control.

I'm steadily averaging 27 to 28.75 miles city driving with AC using the same techniques. Accelerate enough to get me moving from red lights then coasting upon coming up the next light.

If I drive faster I'm getting 24-25 mpg city.

Last edited:
Tire pressure

What pressure are you guys using on the FWD model? The sticker on my car (Sport 6M) says 34 psi. I was getting around 29-30mpg as I got the car out of the dealer but once I used checked the pressure and adjusted to 34psi the mileage went down to 27-28mpg. The ride is more comfortable but the mileage now sucks. What is your experience?

Thanks,
jajur

well, I'm getting 22 mpg so far. Can't complaint as with my CX-9 I was getting 12 mpg and my RX-8 returns anything between 10-17 (depending on my mood). 100% of city and stop and go traffic around Boston downtown.

Went 279.6 miles, put in 7.66 gallons and got 36.5 mpg using basic hypermiling techniques (at least as best I can with an automatic). Coasting and trying not to use my brakes makes a huge difference. I also kept the speeds to no more than 60 mph on a 65 mph interstate. The computer was reading 39 MPG.

I'm measuring long-term gas mileage. In 6000 miles and over 20 tanks full I've averaged 26.4 MPG calculated on personal computer. MPG meter shows 27.5 (never reset since day 1), it's overstating about 4%. Mostly city/suburban often commuting in bad traffic with some freeway driving at 70-80mph. No hypermiling, some manual shifting for fun.

Given the ratings for AWD of 25 city /31 highway /28 combined, it's about what I expected.

Back