Front part of the drivers seat leather

The front part of the bottom seat leather has come loose. It has plastic clips. Two about 4 inches long but I can't see what or how they hook.

I know..... Take it to the dealer. I'd prefer to avoid the hassle of time off of work or spending my Saturday driving an hour to the one that is open

The bottom of the seat is flat sheet metal and it has some holes in it. If I remember correctly it clips on the holes.

Just unbolt the seat it should be pretty self explanatory and is a 15min job at the most.

The front part of the bottom seat leather has come loose. It has plastic clips. Two about 4 inches long but I can't see what or how they hook.

I know..... Take it to the dealer. I'd prefer to avoid the hassle of time off of work or spending my Saturday driving an hour to the one that is open

I'm pretty sure I read that this happened to a few people. I would bring toe dealer to fix so they know the problem

This happened to me too (cloth). I highly doubt the dealer will actually change the clip attached to the cushion. This would involve a bit of tailoring which Im sure the dealer would have to out source.
Just reach your hand down and re clip it in, it kind of hooked up and around. It was easiest for me, I had to do this to both sides and multiple on the drivers side, when you unclip the whole seat cushion and begin the clip starting at the center console.
I think its a design flaw that when you enter the vehicle your leg hits the side support and pushes it up.

I thought the earlier posts said that dealers have new clips.

I didn't see any earlier posts when I searched. And the clips are sewn into the vinyl so it isn't something that can just be replaced.

The bottom of the seat is flat sheet metal and it has some holes in it. If I remember correctly it clips on the holes.

Just unbolt the seat it should be pretty self explanatory and is a 15min job at the most.

logically it would be but the clip is facing the wrong way to just grab an open slot. It somehow has to fold around and tuck in under something.
Picture here> seat.jpg
attachment.php

it seems like a stupid way to attach it.

from the indents in the plastic clip it looks like they had it on just the thin metal rail that goes around the edge of the power drivers seat (on the passenger seat the leather/vinyl attaches completely differently) and that is why it just popped back off.

Last edited:
This happened to me too (cloth). I highly doubt the dealer will actually change the clip attached to the cushion. This would involve a bit of tailoring which Im sure the dealer would have to out source.
Just reach your hand down and re clip it in, it kind of hooked up and around. It was easiest for me, I had to do this to both sides and multiple on the drivers side, when you unclip the whole seat cushion and begin the clip starting at the center console.
I think its a design flaw that when you enter the vehicle your leg hits the side support and pushes it up.

The passenger side on mine it just slides up around an edge. On the drivers side it has 2 separate clips about 3" long on the front and one small 2" clip towards the center console.

I don't know if the leather and cloth seats are attached differently, but here is the thread that mentions the cloth fix: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...(hopefully-all-minor)/page9&highlight=cushion

"My driver seat also popped out after one week. I took it into the dealership and Mazda Canada is sending new clips to be installed on Monday. Fortunately just the clips need replacing, and not the fabric, so it should be a quick and easy fix. According to the dealer, they have recognized this as a deficiency and will be sending out a bulletin about repairs."

And on pg 10

"They installed the fix today (redesigned clips), and there's much less give (if at all), and I'm optimistic it won't be popping out again anytime soon. The fix came directly from Mazda's Techline, so if you go in to your dealer with this problem, they should know about it, or be able to find out about it very easily."

bottom pg 13

"3. Seat cushion has been repaired - Mazda sent out a new cushion and are now supplying revised clips so expect a proper TSB"

Last edited:
my guess is the cloth and leather/vinyl attach differently. Especially since to replace the clips on mine they'd have to remove the seat material completely and, as mentioned above, outsource stitching new clips onto it.

Does anyone know how to remove the rear seat bottoms, so the back of the seat lays flatter?

I've had this problem with mine since day one. It happens at least once a week to the drivers side, and has only happened once to the passengers side. When it happened to the passenger side, it was while we were on our road trip over Thanksgiving, during which we were on our knees on the passengers seat to tend to the baby and kiddo in the back, so I think that had a lot to do with it coming off then. However, it came off nearly all the way, only the back of the cushion was holding it down.

It isn't a big deal, as it is very easily and quickly fixed, but it isn't something that I should have to deal with after dropping $30k on a fully loaded vehicle. It's really one of my only gripes about the car so far, other than the bad luck we have had with it since day one.

Did we ever figure out where these damn clips go? Getting in the car I noticed the front part of my driver seat just hanging, I'm like wtf?! then I see these two white clips just dangling as ta240 mentions. I went underneath to see where the heck they could clip to but I give up. I need to take pictures as the clips don't really align with anything underneath the seat. If anyone has had this issue and resolved it please let me know.

I can try to take a picture tonight (don't have the car here), not sure how good I'd be able to do under there but I took it like pictured and then basically fold it up under the seat with it pivoting at the hook part. The plastic hook then grabs the metal edge to slide over it a bit and then folds up under so that the longer flat side of the plastic is against the seat and the vinyl is facing towards the rear of the vehicle.
the plastic is too wide for where it is grabbing on mine which is what seems to push it back off. I've thought of cutting it a little narrower but didn't want to mess with it for fear of Mazda not being willing to do anything at a later date if it didn't work.

It would keep popping out every couple of minutes so I took some cardboard and folded it over to make it thicker and stronger and wedged it into the seat metal so it held the clip from flapping back around. After awhile the cardboard fell out but the clip stays better now.

Like mentioned it isn't the end of the world but it is annoying.

I should probably take it in some time but in the past it seems like every time I take a car in it comes back with something else a bit off.
Had the bumper painted on one car and ended up with what looked like a fingernail scratch in the passenger seat where I guess they had some paperwork sitting and scratched the leather picking it up. Door hinge work on another car years ago and ended up with a big screw holding the door panel on in one spot when they were done (somewhat hidden). Leather installed in the first car and they managed to scratch the hood of the car. Tint in my truck and they scratched the back of the cab under the window.
So I figured I'd just end up with at the very least smudges on my seat and something stupid done to hold the clip in place.

Would really appreciate those pics! I went out there again and I saw those rectangular tracks that I thought they go on but they do not line up at all with them, very annoying.

I agree with you on the taking it on part but maybe we have no choice. When I get to my 10,000 mile service I will mention. I'm noticing the edges of the seat have wrinkles now most probably because the leather not being stretched out.

Found this in another forum, for those who have the GT with leather seats check that the clips haven't come loose, this only happens on the drivers seat from what people say. My seat already has some wrinkling because of this...

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/car-tech/1292440/mazda-cx-5-review-hands-on

extract as follows:

"The driver’s seat has clips which are supposed to hold the leather material clipped to the underneath side of the seat. These clips continually come unattached causing the seat material to slide around. This will have to be replaced. "

Only occurs on the drivers seat ....passenger seat is not electric and leather is fixed sub-frame in different manner.

I reported in some detail back to Mazda in August...but don't think they listened.

Essentially the clips on the leather are 40mm misaligned with the anchor rods on the seat sub-frame. If you re-clip them (as my original Mazda dealer did before I gave them the flick), they will break free a day or two later. Truth is, I engineered my own fix, I had to cut a slit in the plastic clips to correctly position them on the anchor rods...not pretty..but it has lasted successfully for 5 months and shows no signs of coming free.

Suggest you fix it in a hurry as I read reports back in August of the leather front of the seat breaking free requiring the whole seat leather to be renewed...

Back