Upcoming optional 2.5L skyactiv

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/07/2014-mazda6-to-get-larger-2-5l-skyactiv-engine.html

"While the weight of the 2014 Mazda6 is set to be around 3,000 lbs, even then the brands new Skyactiv-G gasoline 2.0-liter engine is likely to be underpowered for such a large vehicle, which in the CX-5 makes 155 hp and 150 lb-ft of torque. This issue will be solved with a new 2.5-liter version of that motor,which should make over 170 hp and torque.

That very engine is then also scheduled to be offered as an optional motor in the CX-5."

Not sure if this is just rumor.

A 0.5 liter increase and only 15hp more. I find that very unlikely considering the current mazda 2.5L makes 167hp. Hopefully the engine sees north of 180. And if they can keep the pattern of the 2.0L have 175 tq. That would be a great engine.

A Skyactiv 2.5L should yield ~ 193HP and a 2.3L Skyactiv should yield around 178hp. Either of these engines would solidify my trading in my CX7 or a CX5

Last edited:
A 0.5 liter increase and only 15hp more. I find that very unlikely considering the current mazda 2.5L makes 167hp. Hopefully the engine sees north of 180. And if they can keep the pattern of the 2.0L have 175 tq. That would be a great engine.

Peak horsepower doesn't tell the whole story. Imagine the torque increase (and flatter torque curve) over the current port injection 2.5L. If its even 185hp, 180lb-ft that would be a great engine for our car.

What kind of fuel economy should we expect a cx-5 with 2.5L to have? Any predictions?

With they extra hp i would be happy with 27mpg average for an auto awd.
I also think that the goal for a skyactiv 2.5 should be at least 185/190hp and 185tq.
My gf 2.5 mazda3 is really fun to drive, lot's of get up and go from a stand still and nice highway speed even with the 5 speed auto trans.
I can only imagine how the CX5 would do with 190hp + 6 speed auto tranny.

So the Mazda CX5 is around 3,270 lbs (for the FWD auto) and the 2.0L is enough to move it around but is not enough for a 3,000 lbs car??

And yes I know this topic is completely subjective since I know everybody has a different opinion of what a “slow car” is. Also I don’t know if they already release final weight numbers for the 6 but I would guess it would be below the CX5 current weight.

So has the 2.5L Skyactiv gasser been confirmed (for any Mazda model)?

No it hasn't been confirmed from what I've read so far. On the other hand, I don't think it would be a good idea having the 2.5 as an option in the CX-5 since it would steal sales from the diesel (which I think/hope will come to NA).

Next model year is when I would like to trade in my 07 CX7. The vehicle will then have ~ 75-80,000 on it and my year is noted to have Turbo seal and AC compressor problems. I have looked and driven a CX5 for about 30 miles on local and highway and think it is a great vehivle. My ideal CX5 would have a 2.3L SkyActiv engine with the AT & FWD. The 2.3L engine, if scaling holds, should deliver ~ 175 HP and ~ 165LB/FT of torque at the same rpm or slightly lower. This might be the best compromise for me with respect to fuel consumption and power/torque. Just my thoughts. Ed

I just checked the Mazda6 specs for the 2013 year and a 170HP standard engine AND a V6 is offered. The article referees to a 2014 2.5L SkyActiv engine of 170 HP so there seems to be some confusion if I read the article correctly. Ed

Back