Possible engine bases used for skyactiv engnes.

Raiderspy1

:
2013 CX-5 Touring AWD
I recently purchased a touring cx-5. I thought the engine looked familiar. My job is a field service tech, and i drive a 2012 ford transit connect van. I pulled up to my cx-5 and did a side by side comparison. Once you take the blue skyactiv cover off the engines are identicle. Now the insides may be different, but it looks like you could take the engine out of the van and put it in the cx-5. Now, they say that the cx-5 is the first all mazda vehicle without any help from ford, so maybe the engine in the van maybe a mazda... Im not sure. The engine in the van is 10:1 and is a high reving engine with no balls. To bad they couldn't have used the mazda3 2.5 engine to use. The cx-5 engine design is ok, but would have been more fun with the 2.5. I tried to find some pics on the net, but could not find any good ones. I'll try to get a couple in a day or so.

Fords 2.0L Duratec is based on Mazdas old 2.0L. The Skyactiv 2.0 is a complete revision of the old 2.0

No, Raider is definitely onto something.
If you look at the 2.0 in the 2012 Focus, its visually identical to the Skyactiv 2.0
AND nobody seems to read the spec sheets, but the Focus' engine is 12:1 compression, sound familiar?

-edited for correction to compression ratio-

Last edited:
So are we talking about the engine block looking nearly the same?

I read the Focus CR being 12:1, not that it matters if they share the block and little else.

I recently purchased a touring cx-5. I thought the engine looked familiar. My job is a field service tech, and i drive a 2012 ford transit connect van. I pulled up to my cx-5 and did a side by side comparison. Once you take the blue skyactiv cover off the engines are identicle. Now the insides may be different, but it looks like you could take the engine out of the van and put it in the cx-5. Now, they say that the cx-5 is the first all mazda vehicle without any help from ford, so maybe the engine in the van maybe a mazda... Im not sure. The engine in the van is 10:1 and is a high reving engine with no balls. To bad they couldn't have used the mazda3 2.5 engine to use. The cx-5 engine design is ok, but would have been more fun with the 2.5. I tried to find some pics on the net, but could not find any good ones. I'll try to get a couple in a day or so.

Is the van a Direct Injection Engine? Does it have a 4-2-1 header?

Bore and stoke are different.

Focus 2.0
Bore: 87.5 mm
Stroke: 83.1 mm

Mazda 3 sky
Bore: 83.5 mm
Stoke: 91.2 mm

I've read that ford derived their I4 engines from Mazda. Looking at bore and stoke of old 2.0 Mazda engines, its the same as the focus. New engine really does seem new.

I just wiki'd this, seems ford has rights to the mzr design and is continuing work whereas Mazda stopped their development of the engine for the skyactiv family.

If you have pics of the focus 2.0, pls post, I would like to note the similarity. Thx

Indeed, Ford took it with them. It is the basis of their Ecoboost platform. But, it is Mazda's technology.

If you mean the Ford ST's Ecoboost 2.0, it is very similar to the turbo MZR and also utilizes some technology found in the new Skyactiv engines.

Back