The Ohio Auto-X and Track Event chat thread

Just got prices on the campground for the 26th event and updated stuff in that thread.

I know all of the guys@ Mazdaspeed Motorsports, Scott has helped me a great deal along with the other guys. I need to get with Phen so I can add the AWR bar to my car.

yesterday was interesting, had some heavy rain before the start so a lot of my stuff got wet... need to be prepared for rain next time. It was fun though, its amazing how much grip the car has when its that wet, good stuff

I remembered my rain gear to keep myself somewhat dry, but I need a plastic tote to keep my gear dry as well. The trick is finding one that will fit in the Miata trunk while still leaving space for my air tank.

since I needed to take things out to dry, I emptied my trunk as I've wanted to do for a while now, should have enough room for the cooler. Marc got a really nice one, not too tall but wide so it fits pretty well in the miata trunk. I'm gonna line it with carpet to try and make it look like the NA meoter, I really like that look

Quick question, if you relocate your battery to the trunk, is it still SCCA/NASA legal? Or do I also need to install a kill switch on the trunk? Thanks in advance.

According to the SCCA rule book, it seems legal. I've got an Optima sealed battery so I wouldn't need the marine box. And nothing in mentioned about the kill switch.

"17) Any wet-cell battery moved from the manufacturer’s original location
shall be in a non-conductive, marine-type container or equivalent
and the “hot” terminal shall be insulated. All batteries (on-board
power supplies) shall be attached securely to the frame or chassis
structure independent of the marine-type container. NOTE: This will
allow the use of gel cell or dry cell (AGM) batteries without a nonconductive,
marine-type container where applicable."

And according to the NASA book, it's legal too.

"11.4.9 Battery
The battery shall be securely fastened to the car. No Bungee cords or rubber cords may
be used to function as the sole hold down mechanism. An electrically non-conductive
material must cover the positive battery terminal. Any battery located inside the driver’s
compartment should be fully covered and firmly secured to the chassis (or tub) in a
marine type battery case. True dry cell batteries may be mounted without a surrounding
case, however a case is still recommended."

Answered my own questions again! haha

Last edited:
Its fine as long as you're not holding it with zip ties or bungee cords

I thought it had to be double sided tape...

They make a big deal about a marine type case, I assume my jet ski battery that is in the Miata satisfies that :)

I really just didn't want to put a battery kill switch on my rear hatch. I'm a bit of a ricer but even that's too far for me.

Ain't rice if it's functional and for a purpose. C'mon man, it'd look great coming out of the wiper arm hole. ;)

If you run one in the rear you might as well get a battery 10lbs or less. I need to get my car weighed so I can see where it is at now compared to stock weight and go from there to see where I can shave some pounds here and there.

Well the Milly has a Optima Red top (I swapped from the silver P5) and the black P5 came with an Optima Redtop so I don't want to swap batteries just yet since they're all good to go. Then again, knowing my luck I'll buy all the brackets for the Redtop and it dies then week after. lulz.

If you run one in the rear you might as well get a battery 10lbs or less. I need to get my car weighed so I can see where it is at now compared to stock weight and go from there to see where I can shave some pounds here and there.

I'm going to add a set of scales to my never ending wish list :) I think that is a page 13 item...

I bought my car with the Optima Red top battery that is still in it and it is from 2006, but it weighs an ungodly 40+lbs. I wouldn't mind having a 10lb motor cycle battery to drop in while running at events. It's not a huge difference in weight, but it adds up when calculate the weight of the other parts that have been swapped out. I might have to take the MSP over to the grain elevator back home and have them weigh her with close to a empty tank and race setup. I almost thought about taking the stereo out since really don't listen to it that much and can't hear it that good anyway. About the only time I listen to it is when working on the car or hearing my times at an event.

Tempting, but I really don't want to tear up my track wheels on those stones.

then weigh your track wheels vs regular wheels on the scale at home, find the difference, and subtract...

Back