Introducing the All-New 2014 Mazda6

I'm pretty sure Doonan mentioned a Skyactiv V6 in the works during the tech talk in Toronto.

Got a Mazda ad in the Paper today and the current Atenza / Mazda6 just became an even better deal here in Japan...Got to make space for the upcoming 2014 models! :D

ive yet to see a skyactiv engine advertised with more than the 155hp in the 2.0L

thats not really enough to compete in the 6's market segment regardless of the comparative lightness of the vehicle.

i mean the optima, accord, and even camry have engines putting out over 250 hp with over 30 mpg..

anyone have any knowledge about this? if i am incorrect, i apologize and it will have been due to ignorance.

thats my only concern with this car, because its incredibly sexy and it will be light and have mazda handling

There will be no V6 on the Mazda6. If you want one absolutely, you need to go elsewhere.
The international versions of Mazda6 will have 2.0L-G and 2.2L-D as engine choices.
For USA, 2.4/5L-G (enlarged bore) will come first, the 2.2L-D might follow later.
The 2.4/5L-G is targeting 200Hp/200ft-lb rated at 40+MPG(hwy). (engineering targets)
Both Accord/Camry's V6 are rated at only 30MPG on highway. Their 2.5L I4 versions at around 35MPG.

Last edited:
New poster here, I've been waiting for this car since the Takeri concept and am considering it to replace my current car in about 1.5-2 year time frame. So far the only thing bugging me is the engine choices. I'm really hoping that the Skyactiv-G 2.5 for the US is stronger than 189hp or at least a turbo option in addition to the diesel.

It looks as big if not bigger than the current Mazda6. I thought (hoped) they would scale back the physical dimension. I want a sporty sedan that the Mazda6 used to be, not a Camry/Accord wannabe.

Global Debut Video...:D

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jbb0pa17jjk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hvLAtQGRpr4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

New poster here, I've been waiting for this car since the Takeri concept and am considering it to replace my current car in about 1.5-2 year time frame. So far the only thing bugging me is the engine choices. I'm really hoping that the Skyactiv-G 2.5 for the US is stronger than 189hp or at least a turbo option in addition to the diesel.
A turbo 2.5L is likely for CX9 and Mazda Speed6.
Note that this car weighs around 3000lbs only!
It is comparable to having 285hp driving CX9 (which weighs 4500lbs).
0-60mph around 7.5 sec can be expected.

Last edited:
A turbo 2.5L is likely for CX9 and Mazda Speed6.
Note that this car weighs around 3000lbs only!
It is comparable to having 285hp driving CX9 (which weighs 4500lbs).
0-60mph around 7.5 sec can be expected.

It sounds comparable to the 4 banger 2013 Altima, which I've driven and found pretty good. Is the 189hp all the US is getting as a gas choice? Or is the output gonna be different from the Russian spec one? Heck is it even possible to up the output to around 200-250hp range without a turbo/supercharger?

I am already planning ahead. 1 inch drop + RPF1's + black painted roof + tinted windows/tail light/rear deflector bumper lights. Done using Acorn photo editing software.
2014-Mazda-6-2.jpg
attachment.php

Raise the rev limit to 7K+!
4 door S2k ftw!!! LOL Be crazy if it can rev to 9k but then it'd have like no torque\

Edit: There was a comment posted about on C&D saying that the Skyactiv-G engines can't be turbo'd. Is there any truth to that?

Last edited:
4 door S2k ftw!!! LOL Be crazy if it can rev to 9k but then it'd have like no torque\

Edit: There was a comment posted about on C&D saying that the Skyactiv-G engines can't be turbo'd. Is there any truth to that?

I think people say they cannot be turbo'ed because they are very high compression engines. 12:1. If you want boost, low compression is safer for the engine.

As a former P5 owner and current 2011 Sonata owner, I'm very interested in this car. Particularly the diesel model. BTW, I personally think the Sonata is one of the best-looking midsize sedans out there (until the 2013 Fusion and 2014 Mazda 6 came out.) Don't hate. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But if Mazda offers the Skyactiv-D in the 3 hatch, I think that might be my next ride. (thumb)

S2K has 8000rpm redline....to generate 240hp from 2.0L engine. It screams like a motorcycle engine.

Skyactiv-G can be turbo-ed, but like someone already commented, the compression ratio has to be lowered to 10:1 or less.

S2K has 8000rpm redline....to generate 240hp from 2.0L engine. It screams like a motorcycle engine.

Skyactiv-G can be turbo-ed, but like someone already commented, the compression ratio has to be lowered to 10:1 or less.

Doesn't have to be. Just can't be aggressive with the boost like the current DISI engines are.

Back