Introducing the All-New 2014 Mazda6

Great looking car. The only minor negative to me is the hood with the front cut line to lift up the hood - and that's done with current BMWs also. It would look nicer to have the whole hood in one piece.

you can thank the european pedestrian safety laws for that one.

wagon C-class estate 08-red.jpg
you can thank the european pedestrian safety laws for that one.

I was thinking the same thing, easier to achieve those standards with hood the way it is.

It can be done without the cutline, example being the current generation of Mercedes C-class.

I love it and I want one. Does anyone know the weight? I know it has been mentioned how light it is.

Also any guesses on pricing? I'm glad it is being made in Japan, that was my biggest qualms about my fathers 6's.

This I-eloop thing kind of scares me, that doesn't sound like fun to maintain, but I guess we will see the longevity of it.

This I-eloop thing kind of scares me, that doesn't sound like fun to maintain, but I guess we will see the longevity of it.

Mazda’s i-ELOOP system is a type of regenerative braking. The system captures kinetic energy during braking and converts it to electricity. Instead of a battery, it’s stored in a supercapacitor. Mazda’s system releases that power during the “stop” cycle of the car’s stop-start system, powering auxiliary systems. According to USA Today, it should boost fuel economy by 10 percent.

Last edited:
Mazda’s i-ELOOP system is a type of regenerative braking. The system captures kinetic energy during braking and converts it to electricity. Instead of a battery, it’s stored in a supercapacitor. Mazda’s system releases that power during the “stop” cycle of the car’s stop-start system, powering auxiliary systems. According to USA Today, it should boost fuel economy by 10 percent.

I get that but that is not any details on the complexity of the system or the longevity of any of the parts. I know the capacitor(s) will need to be changed at some point. Also how does it actually reclaim the energy? Alternators at each wheel? Hybrids do it by the electric motors but obviously it would be silly to put electric motors in a non hybrid car.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/26/...ative-braking-with-capacitors-instea/?m=false

This should explain i-ELOOP pretty well.

Summary: As the engine spins down after lifting off the accelerator, a 12-25V variable alternator captures energy and sends it to the capacitor. The electricity is then sent through a DC-DC converter to step down the voltage from 25V to 12V before sending it to the electronics in need.

Last edited:
CX-5 was the first model to be SkyActiv from the ground up (backed up by Japanese interviews at the time). But because it missed out on i-ELOOP, they can claim Mazda 6 is the first with all of the "now available" Skyactiv technologies.

This just in via a Mazda Press Release email...

HIROSHIMA, Japan--- Mazda Motor Corporation held a ceremony to commemorate
the start of production of the new Mazda6 (known as Atenza in Japan),
fully redesigned for the first time in five years. The ceremony took place
at the company's Hofu Plant No. 2, in Yamaguchi prefecture. Approximately
500 people gathered for the celebration, including Mazda's Representative
Director and Chairman of the Board, President and CEO, Takashi Yamanouchi,
executives, employees and a representative of the Mazda Workers Union.
The first vehicle to come off the line was a Mazda6 wagon built to European
specifications and powered by the SKYACTIV-G 2.0 gasoline engine.

Details are available at:
http://www.media.mazda.com/CGI/rss.cgi?site=2&rss=news

Still think the rear needs to be more creative IMO

4244531999_0577e3700f.jpg

looks the same style as ^^^

Updated my original post with the latest photo...

Latest Photos
* Below is a look at the production wagon model destined for Europe
2014_Mazda6_Wagon.jpg

So anyone think these may roll out early 2013? Or do manufacturers usually start production 1 year (typical August-ish time frame) prior to release?

That guy on the right looks serious, yet doesn't fit in at all.

he's the obligatory bouncer at the show, if you don't like the car, he'll kick your arse! check out the stare and the ready for some serious arse kicking action wear.

sorry can't help myself. back to original topic. I am not too fond of the look, looks like its going to be outdated by 2014. too streamline and round, which is already being played right now by the hyundai, the germans on the other hand are mostly going for a squarish but rounded out look.

Mazda6 sedan looks nice, any more pics? (instead of more Sonata and FF pics, I don't need to squint)

Back