Introducing the All-New 2014 Mazda6

US version will have a Skyactiv-G 2.5L I4 as standard engine.
This same engine will be available on CX5 as an option.
Expect more than 190hp+ from it, targeting 200hp.

Thanks for the info, I've been hearing about a Skyactiv-G 2.5L I4 for the 6...Can you confirm it? Source? :D

Australia's version of the MS3 the MS Atenza was AWD. I doubt they will do a sedan or coupe though, they like the hatch. Subaru picked it up too

the Mazda3 is the Axela in other markets, not the Atenza. the Atenza is the Mazda6 model. no mazda3 variant ever had AWD.

Australia's version of the MS3 the MS Atenza was AWD. I doubt they will do a sedan or coupe though, they like the hatch. Subaru picked it up too

I hate that subaru picked up hatch/wagon. Subby did have the legacy and outback and the IMPREZA wagon. then they ruined it with the newer body styles

But back on topic. This design is WAAAAAY better than the previous IMO

Edit: Its front end looks like it's giving an evil smile

Last edited:
I hate that subaru picked up hatch/wagon. Subby did have the legacy and outback and the IMPREZA wagon. then they ruined it with the newer body styles
Edit: Its front end looks like it's giving an evil smile

Aww, I want a new STI 5-door :( and yes, this front end is very aggressive. Already has a nice lip. I wanna see one slammed

Aww, I want a new STI 5-door :( and yes, this front end is very aggressive. Already has a nice lip. I wanna see one slammed

the functionality of a wagon is great it's just not meant to be a sports car. Except JT's P5. IMO, IMO, IMO

Do they have other colors for the new 6?

Last edited:
the functionality of a wagon is great it's just not meant to be a sports car. IMO, IMO, IMO

Do they have other colors for the new 6?
The 5-door STI is similar to the MS3, compact sports car. Slightly smaller than a sedan, not a wagon.
So far, the new Kodo Design/sky active colors I have seen are that Red and the Laser Blue shown on the CX-5 and Mazda3

6 concept. Dark grey color

skyactiv.jpg

Antoine, help with these Kanji? I only know about 100

US version will have a Skyactiv-G 2.5L I4 as standard engine.
This same engine will be available on CX5 as an option.
Expect more than 190hp+ from it, targeting 200hp.

that would be interesting... with the diesel as an option for hybrid killer

Put the word out via @Mazdas247 on twitter and @MazdaUSA didn't waste any time stating that the 2014 Mazda6 is...

"The 2014 Mazda6 will be our 2nd vehicle to feature SKYACTIV tech from the ground up (1st was CX5)."

Which I had thought originally but I had read otherwise via an Online Automotive Publication...What about the i-ELOOP system? I replied welcoming @MazdaUSA to join Mazdas247 and help clarify fact from rumor...Unlikely but worth a shot, it would be great to have a rep from Mazda (aka a genuine employee of Mazda and not a 3rd Party "Social Media" rep) as a Member interacting with the Mazdas247 Community. :D

Those headlights remind me of Subaru's Hawkeye Headlight. I like that a lot. Thanks for the share Antoine!

Yeah those headlights are definitely one of the highlights of the new design...(thumb)

6 concept. Dark grey color

skyactiv.jpg

Antoine, help with these Kanji? I only know about 100

Good question...My Kanji ability is basic but I'll double check and get back to you unless someone knows for sure already...? :)

Also, @MazdaUSA publicly tweeted another clarification to me regarding the concept image above...

"As for the the shot of the concept vehicle on page 3, that was of the SHINARI. The 2014 Mazda6 was based on the TAKERI concept"

Glad we got that cleared up...Now we can all sleep at night. ;)

I know I don't post here often (this isn't exactly my favorite forum), but I have been closely following Mazda's updates about everything SkyActiv. The SkyActiv-G gasoline engine was first previewed by the Minagi concept, but was put into the existing Mazda3's engine bay to boost fuel economy numbers and get the word of SkyActiv out to the public. The CX-5 is, in fact, the first "ground up" SkyActiv vehicle, as stated in an earlier post. It is based on the Minagi concept and also the first vehicle to show Mazda's Kodo, or Soul of Motion, design language. The 2014 Mazda6 is based on the Takeri concept and is the second "ground up" SkyActiv vehicle in Mazda's arsenal. It will launch with the same SkyActiv-G gasoline engine that's in the Mazda3 and CX-5. Since 2014 is also the expected year of Mazda bringing the SkyActiv-D diesel to the US, there's a good chance the new Mazda6 will receive that engine as an option. It may be made available in the CX-5, as well.

Since the CX-5 debuted with the "basic" SkyActiv technology and the Mazda6 will incorporate i-ELOOP, then it may be safe to expect Mazda's next Kodo makeover to receive i-Stop. i-Stop is an advanced engine stop-start system that stops the engine with the pistons at their halfway point. Fuel is then injected into one of the cylinders to start the engine as soon as the brake pedal is released. This allows for quicker, smoother starts than other systems that use the regular starter to bring the engine back to life.

I feel like I rambled a bit, but hopefully cleared up any confusion as well.

Last edited:
Great looking car. The only minor negative to me is the hood with the front cut line to lift up the hood - and that's done with current BMWs also. It would look nicer to have the whole hood in one piece.

Back