Location of Airbag/SAS module

jpmurphyslaw

:
Mazda5
I purchased a Mazda5 that had the driver's side airbag deployed. I've purchased a new airbag and clockspring plugs, and I'd like to send the airbag module off to be "reset." However, I'm not sure where the module is located.

I initially thought it may be in the console between the driver and passenger seat, but I checked this morning and didn't see anything.

Does anyone know where this module/box is located? Also, any instructions for how to remove it would be helpful.

Thanks.

Philip

I don’t know exactly where it is on the Mz5 but I recommend looking at the driver side firewall, above where the clutch (if you have a manual) would be (upper left). That’s the location on a Miata’s (notorious for leaky capacitors but this is on early models that are well past warranty). There should be two independent modules, one for driver side and one for passenger side airbag. There’s also a possibility that it is all integrated into the PCM since new cars like to consolidate/integrate systems but this is unlikey b/c it would create one failure point and that's not acceptable for air bag control. You should ask this in the Mz3 forum to be sure so you don’t go tearing your interior apart needlessly.

Side questions: are you repairing this for person use or resale? Was it minor damage and did you catch the car before it was reported to insurance? If the air bag deployed, the integrity of the unibody chassis is more than likely compromised and can never be restored to the strength of a non-damaged car. Of course, you can add additional/supplemental bracing but that’s not practical. There’s a reason why you see a slew of “R” titled cars on craigslist for cheap.

Last edited:
Back