P5 trying to take off by itself

Prote

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Pretty much what the title says my p5 tries to take off by itself all of a sudden.No it dosent rev itself up and go but it does get stuck at a rpm(usually 2000 to 3000) and keep going no matter what gear it's in.The only way I can get it to stop is if I rev the engine up while it's doing it and then it goes back to normal.Ive tried disconnecting cruise control(had a recall on my jeep for similar problems),didn't change,checked out my throttle to see if it would get stuck if I toyed with it and got nothing.Im out of ideas here so can anyone help me?

Edit:My car is a 5 speed in case you needed to know

Last edited:
Did you check the "throttle" as in the gas pedal, or the actual throttle body? It sounds like maybe you have an issue there.

Did you check the "throttle" as in the gas pedal, or the actual throttle body? It sounds like maybe you have an issue there.

Both,I dont know wtf happened,just started doing it like a week ago on really hot days.Ill be driving and itll get stuck at what ever rpm im at and in what ever gear which is why i thought it would be cruse control like it was in my jeep when i had it.Im gonna start disassemble my car tomorrow and check stuff out but if anyone gets an idea or has had this happen before please contact me,thank you.

weak spring on the throttle body? disconnect cable and see if consistently 'springs closed'. Lube t/b if not.
Binding throttle cable? Disconnect at t/b and it should move real easy... Lube if not.

Gah nothing yet,maybe its just possessed and pissed off since i havent been driving it lol

Dude this happens to me every now and then too, and the only way to stop it is if I gas it a little. Then it'll drop the rpm back to 750. Its so weird. I have no idea what it is. But I did hear that if your clutch goes bad then it tends to rev high for some reason. So what I personally think this is, is that the car itself is telling us that the clutch is getting old and might need to be re-adjusted or maybe even swapped. But probably not a big issue and I think the clutch will hold for another couple years. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Back