RX8 loss of power problems

Cristobal

:
Mazda, RX8 231/Sunshine Silver/56k miles
I have had my RX8 for a little over 2 months and had no issues with it.

I have recently found over the last few days that I have an extreme loss of power in the engine and the car will not go any faster than 60 mph.

There is also a clunking sound if I rev the car too high as well.

Anybody any ideas on this issue ??

I have a private warranty from the used car dealer I bought the car from although took this to Mazda who did not support the warranty and they stated I would have to pay them for all of the work done and then claim back from the warranty company.

More details are needed.

Will the engine rev up properly in neutral?

Manual or Automatic?

Does the engine stop at a certain RPM or Wheel speed (60MPH)?

Is the CEL on?

Where is the clunking sound coming from?

Here are my initial thoughts. Get a compression check. If your compression is good I would look at the cat and the ignition system (mostly coils). Make sure the people who do the compression test are familiar with our engine before they run the check.

Will the engine rev up properly in neutral?

There is a slight misfire now and again

Manual or Automatic?

6 speed Manual

Does the engine stop at a certain RPM or Wheel speed (60MPH)?

No

Is the CEL on?

No

Where is the clunking sound coming from?

Engine bay

I took it to a mates garage for diagnostic check and it the faults were P1300 and P0300.

There were a few other faults but these were able to be cleared and on running the car for a few days after they stayed off.

He said it requires ignition coils, leads and plugs 1700 pounds from Mazda dealer.

I have warranty from the used car dealer I bought this from but only goes up to 500.

I can get the parts for 426 from www.mazdarotaryparts.com though but not sure if the warranty company will allow me to do this.

Both those codes are misfire related. I think you are on track getting the coils. Might as well do wires and plugs while you are at it. Let us know how your car tuns once you change this stuff out. Good luck. BTW, this is an easy job for you to do provided you have some basic tools. II RC you will need:

Jack
2 Jack Stands
Metric Ratchet set
13/16 Spark Plug Socket
Med Philips Screwdriver
Blood
Sweat
Tears (hopefully not needed)

Let us know if you have any question if you are going to do this yourself.

Thanks for that chief

The car seems to be fine now that the codes have been reset with the computer with no loss of power at all.

Fingers crossed it remains the same.

If however this problems returns I will give you a shout for how to change out the coils.

Cheers

Chris.

That sounds like exactly the same symptom I had on my '04 RX-8 right before we had the engine replaced. :-\

Does it make a weird growling noise (like not the normal one) when you step on the pedal hard during the power loss?

Both those codes are misfire related. I think you are on track getting the coils. Might as well do wires and plugs while you are at it. Let us know how your car tuns once you change this stuff out. Good luck. BTW, this is an easy job for you to do provided you have some basic tools. II RC you will need:

Jack
2 Jack Stands
Metric Ratchet set
13/16 Spark Plug Socket
Med Philips Screwdriver
Blood
Sweat
Tears (hopefully not needed)

Let us know if you have any question if you are going to do this yourself.

Well the coils, plugs and leads arrived and I got to work.

Installed the ignition coils and managed to snap one of the bolts which holds the coil 3 in place.

Silicon and tie wraps have currently did the job.

Could not move the spark plugs using 13/16 spark plug wrench and socket with huge bar. Totally ceased in.

Think I will need to take it to my mechanic friend for this.

Managed to change the coils and leads using the diagram I have from the Mazda Service Manual.

Car is running sweet.

Hopefully get the plugs changed asap.

Good to hear things worked out (mostly). You may have already though of this, but some liquid wrench may knock the plugs loose? Good luck.

Latest posts

Back