2006 Mazda 3 (2.3 Auto Trans) Shifter Linkage / Gear selector ISSUES

Taus-MP5

:
2002 Mazda Protege`5
Heres the story:

Bought the car yesterday, found out that it wouldn't start in park, so we started it in neutral.

We did research and decided to change the Park Neutral Safety Sensor Switch that allows it to start in park.

Did not do it...

Now ALL THE GEARS ARE IN OFFSET ORDER !!

Park = Reverse
Reverse = Neutral
Neutral = Drive
Drive = Manumatic

????????

I figured that its the Linkage cable because the when we got under the car and by hand placed the trans in PARK(by switching the selector with our hand) [ the P would finally light up on the dash ! ]

... then got in the car and tried to place the SHIFTER in PARK, but the linkage would not reach all the way and would have tension, wanting it to be pulled back towards the Reverse Gear.

-----

So my theory is that since the shifter cable was worked on by the retardship ( i mean dealership) they screwed up the linkage distance or something- thus causing it to be short and not allowing it to go all the way into gear (park) and thats why its not lit up.

It only lit up after we separated the linkage from the metal bracket that it lies on (that utimately shifts the linkage to the trans) all the way to park, once the cable was attached again, it had pressure on it and would try to pull it back to reverse a bit and not light up...like its stuck in between gears almost..

I would like to see some comments and ideas as to what you all think and what i can/ should do next to fix it..

Oh, and if anyone has any manuals/pics/links that can help..?

THANK YOU !!

Last edited:
took it to the dealer, found out their retarded..

took it home, too off the shifter console, and adjusted the shifter linkage, good to go

-END

Wait, how could changing the neutral safety switch cause further issues with the shifter position? The dealer tech should've tested the switch before replacing it.

Back