rear bumper fog lights/reflectors.

Hey everyone! This is what i found off a japanese website.The Mazda part numbers is as follows KD31-51-5MO and KD31-51-5LO.There was also some guys over there (Japan) that made their own lights using the oe reflectors.Looked pretty easy to tie into running lights.Hope this helps.Oh cannot find where to buy them.

It is mandated in all 50 states (DOT reg) to have two rear reflectors (L & R) on the back of a passenger car or truck. I am ignorant to whether or not the CX-5 rear tails have reflectors in the housings, IN ADDITION to the lower reflectors, but I'm pretty sure they don't. So don't remove the reflectors if you want to stay compliant.

Instead, find a vendor who will produce some aftermarket LED swap-ins. This way, you keep the reflective lense AND get rearward visibility or whatever.

I have a set of smoked LED lower reflectors on my Speed6.

Last edited:
It is mandated in all 50 states (DOT reg) to have two rear reflectors (L & R) on the back of a passenger car or truck. I am ignorant to whether or not the CX-5 rear tails have reflectors in the housings, IN ADDITION to the lower reflectors, but I'm pretty sure they don't. So don't remove the reflectors if you want to stay compliant.

Had a chance to get down under the rear bumper and take a closer look at the rear reflectors on the bumper. On closer inspection, the top 2/3 of the lens is reflective but the bottom 1/3 appears that it accommodates a bulb since it's clear red and also evidenced by the cover on the back of the lens. Should not be necessary to replace the OEM part. Didn't have the time or the inclination to start removing parts (it wasn't my CX-5) but it looks promising to be able to add a bulb, bulb socket, switch and wiring since the bulb holder might already be there.

It's a Euro thing. Usually just one light I think. Good idea really.

in uk you must have a least one(fog light), but they look nicer as a pair. some have the fog light on one side and a reversing light on the opposite side.
strangely though, it doesn't say how many the cx-5 has although it looks like it has a pair of reversing lights.

Last edited:
Any information on how get rear bumper fog lights in place of the empty light housings on American spec CX-5s? I believe other markets have red fog lights in the rear bumper in place of the reflectors.

Hi, try this link to contact a uk dealer, email addresses are available. it might be cheaper to buy the parts in from Europe as the UK isn't renowned for it's low prices.(unamused)

https://www.mazda.co.uk/find-a-dealer/

I guess it is worth a shot but most (if not all) UK dealers will probably think the profit they would make on them wouldn't be worth the added hassle and risk of fraud (international credit cards are fun) to mess with trying to export them. Especially on an individual basis. Generally the way items like this make it to other markets is one person/company finds a good source they have a connection with and gets a larger quantity of them to resell.

I may go this route if it becomes too much of a hassle to get the right parts:
41FZrtr%2BNnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Granted, OEM would look the best but safety in low visibility conditions take precedence. Here's one that a guy did on a MZ3 that looks OK:
ebbf0e5c.jpg

I guess it is worth a shot but most (if not all) UK dealers will probably think the profit they would make on them wouldn't be worth the added hassle and risk of fraud (international credit cards are fun) to mess with trying to export them. Especially on an individual basis. Generally the way items like this make it to other markets is one person/company finds a good source they have a connection with and gets a larger quantity of them to resell.

That's a fair point, I'm trying to get hold of door protections strips from the USA and not having much luck atm! - the website only ships to usa & canada. My e-mail to them has gone unanswered so far.

That's a fair point, I'm trying to get hold of door protections strips from the USA and not having much luck atm! - the website only ships to usa & canada. My e-mail to them has gone unanswered so far.

I emailed a couple dealers overseas when I saw they had some other accessories I wanted and never heard back so I gave up. Also figured the customs fees might be more than I'd want to pay and not knowing those up front could be fun.

I actually bought some car sealant (wax) from Hungary a couple years back with no problem but I think the little guys can fudge the shipping info on stuff to sneak it through better. Whereas the bigger guys have to play more by the rules.

that looks OK: ]

If there was a way to mount it down under the back end it would look better. But there probably isn't much solid to mount a bracket to there.

My only question on these lights is do they make your brake lights less noticeable? I'd worry that the brighter light being on all the time might distract from the brake lights and I'd prefer that people notice those in the fog even more

Last edited:
If there was a way to mount it down under the back end it would look better. But there probably isn't much solid to mount a bracket to there.

My only question on these lights is do they make your brake lights less noticeable? I'd worry that the brighter light being on all the time might distract from the brake lights and I'd prefer that people notice those in the fog even more

Yes, definitely would look better on the CX-5 mounted on the underside of the bumper.

The rear fog light has the same intensity as a brake light. With the 3rd high mount brake light, there should be no issue with someone behind you knowing that you have applied your brakes as well as the the outboard brake lights illuminating when you apply your brakes.

If you look inside the lower wheel well, toward the rear, there is a small panel held in by 2 connectors. I would almost bet that panel gives access to the rear of these reflectors. Anyone want to take a look and see what behind there?

I may go this route if it becomes too much of a hassle to get the right parts:
41FZrtr%2BNnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Granted, OEM would look the best but safety in low visibility conditions take precedence. Here's one that a guy did on a MZ3 that looks OK:
ebbf0e5c.jpg

Wow, hats off to this guy for doing this. Kinda extreme in my opinion. I think if its truly a safety concern (especially for CA/states), it would be law and every car manufacture would have it. I think the reflectors would be fine in all cases.

ahhh, never thought of that problem. I've always thought the idea behind rear fog lights was a good one. But I could see that happening a lot, especially when so many drivers seem to think lights are a decorative item on cars:

They are great when they are on all the time and purple :)

Then there's those that aim their fog lights as high as they will go because "they don't light up far enough down the road" and then drive with them on all the time.

Or my favorite, tinting taillights; because, I guess, it is so annoying being able to clearly see brake lights in the bight sun. And there's no real reason for lights on the back of a car.
TESTIFY Brother! I so, SO, agree to all of those items. In fact I dislike the fact that our standard rear turn signals are smoked. WHY? Just makes them less visible.

I do particularly hate both front and read foglights, and those drivers that have them on all the time, blinding other road users both in front and behind them. Idiots.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
I installed one on my Mazda 3 and I plan to install one on my CX-7. Rear fog usually is only on the driver side. If you will purchase one from the UK I would be on the right side since they are right hand drive.

Attachments

• 2009-07-14 12.04.12.jpg
    2009-07-14 12.04.12.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 1,234
  • 2009-08-11 09.18.39.jpg
    2009-08-11 09.18.39.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 1,259
  • 2009-07-14 12.17.26.jpg
    2009-07-14 12.17.26.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 1,211
  • 2009-07-14 11.42.16.jpg
    2009-07-14 11.42.16.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 1,327
  • 2009-10-29 12.46.42.jpg
    2009-10-29 12.46.42.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
rear fogs in fog

Attachments

• 2009-08-11 09.18.39.jpg
    2009-08-11 09.18.39.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 2009-10-14 09.07.31.jpg
    2009-10-14 09.07.31.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 1,122
  • 2009-10-14 09.07.43.jpg
    2009-10-14 09.07.43.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 2009-10-14 09.07.21.jpg
    2009-10-14 09.07.21.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 1,115

Sorry, but the ghetto looking mismatched lights and stateside plate over your German plate makes your rear end look super trashy. I would opt for the plate in the window if you really want it, or a little Germany sticker or something.

Last edited:
Back