Ok, Gas Mileage SUCKS!

After 5,600 miles, 20 fill ups, my overall average is 28.9, with a low of 23.5, and a high of 34.3. Total highway mileage of the 5,600 is 2,857.5. Highway mileage works out to an average of 31.7

I drive like a little old man - well because I am a little old man.
I have 3K on my AWD touring. I get 29.5 per fill up on my local country roads.
I haven't had it on a highway yet but expect even better. I knew before hand that AWD suffers in gas milage but I live in snow country and is almost essential around here. I am pleased with this car, however I haven't owned it yet through a tough winter- so we will see

I get 29.5 per fill up on my local country roads.
I haven't had it on a highway yet but expect even better. I knew before hand that AWD suffers in gas milage but I live in snow country and is almost essential around here.

I bought the CX-5 as my primary ski car so I got the AWD model also. I was expecting poorer MPG results than the FWD model but have been favorably impressed. From what I can see from comparing others results, the fuel economy of the AWD model does not seem to be very impacted compared to the FWD automatic. Although I haven't had it in any real snow, I am impressed with the AWD on steep wet leaves and dirt. It operates completely transparently and yet it doesn't spin out on steep slippery slopes like a FWD vehicle does.

I'm looking forward to giving it a good workout on steep, twisting snow/ice covered mountain passes.

My MPG has exceeded my expectations. I've had the car for over 1300 miles and three fill-ups and am averaging 32.7 mpg with a mix (30% city, 35% county, 35% Interstate) of driving. My odometer is under reporting distance traveled by approximately 1% which I attribute to new tires being slightly larger diameter than what the trip computer is calibrated for. Once I factor the 1% into the calculations the manually calculated MPG is exactly the same as the MPG reported by the trip computer. Considering I bought the AWD model for winter skiing, this is excellent fuel economy and I've noticed I'm spending less time waiting for the tank to fill.

There is no other AWD vehicle with so much room inside that returns this kind of mileage.

And the reported "underpowered" nature of this vehicle is a laugh. I find it really zippy as long as I'm not expecting a lot of performance above 70 mph. It's certainly no formula I car but for normal driving in traffic it's more than capable enough to get the job done and have fun while doing it.

Well said, I very much agree with everything you mentioned. On highway trips I can easily get over 31 with the awd. I had 2 people, a 70lb pooch, tons of camping gear and still got about 32.5mpg. For your information, I have the factory roof rails and cross bars. I attached the Thule snowboard carrier that accomodates 4 boards or 6 skis and drove my normal commuting routes for an entire tank. I received about a 2-2.5 mpg hit on my average mpg. I think if you add a snowboard it might take away another mpg. So, with gear up above, the mpg hit wasn't too bad.

I bought the CX-5 as my primary ski car so I got the AWD model also. I was expecting poorer MPG results than the FWD model but have been favorably impressed. From what I can see from comparing others results, the fuel economy of the AWD model does not seem to be very impacted compared to the FWD automatic. Although I haven't had it in any real snow, I am impressed with the AWD on steep wet leaves and dirt. It operates completely transparently and yet it doesn't spin out on steep slippery slopes like a FWD vehicle does.

I'm looking forward to giving it a good workout on steep, twisting snow/ice covered mountain passes.

I'm really looking forward to your review after some serious snow. I also got the AWD because I take quite a few boarding trips every year. Keep your tips up, and have fun on the west coast!!!! (Wish I could board the west coast this winter...)

Just an update on the horrible mileage I have been getting.

Finally got something close to the advertised 33mpg on my AWD GT. Drove from Missouri to Tennessee on highways cruising from 65-75, depending on the speed limit (staying 5 over), and got 28mpg, which is a little better than we normally get in it on the highway. Filled up in Tennessee before heading up to Virginia (another 350 or so miles), and got an indicated 33.0mpg throughout the trip. Haven't filled it up yet, but I'm guessing that it will turn out to be somewhere around 30-31, which I can definitely live with. Maybe it is the sh!tty gas we have in the midwest that has killed my mileage, because my driving habits didn't change one bit. We will see how it does going back west this weekend.

And a sidenote, it annoys me how inaccurate the trip computer is in general, specifically the Average MPG and Estimated Range. I was at 245 miles on my tank when I hit half-tank, and the computer said I could drive another 150 miles...just doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited:
Just an update on the horrible mileage I have been getting.

Finally got something close to the advertised 33mpg on my AWD GT. .

Note: AWD GT is not rated or advertised as 33 MPG Highway.

If we all think back as to why we even were attracted to the cX 5 it probably comes down to this.....

Miles per gallon
small engine
Mazda quality reputation
Style and price

I certainly never purchased my CX 5 with the idea of zipping around like on all my previous cars that all had larger engines. I purchased the CX 5 to finally get a hold on the gas consumption. I was tiredof the 16 mpg city mileage and now I get 25 with the CX 5. You want to zip around, get a Corvet

An older gentleman at the parking lot saw me pull up with the cx5 and made small talk about how much gas he is saving from his hybrid tribute and that he averages around 27-29mpg. Then he asks how much I am getting from my skyactiv hybrid. I said around 30 but I told him that it was not a hybrid. He said, really? skyactiv is not hybrid? I said no.. just regular gas. He walked away really confused.

Note: AWD GT is not rated or advertised as 33 MPG Highway.

I stand corrected...forgot that my AWD is rated for 31mpg.

But I did fill up this morning, and averaged 31.5mpg after the trip and about 40 miles around town or so. Much bette than the 27ish we normally get.

Back